Steam Deck - SteamOS, Zen2 4C/8T, RDNA2 1.0-1.6 TF, 16 GB LPDDR5 88 GB/s, starting at $399 [2021-12]

I think they missed the boat on being able to upgrade the nvme drive.

64gigs is kinda ouch in 2021/22

otherwise I will try and get a 256 or 512

I think this is an area where an nvme card like MS developed for the series consoles would be handy

I think they missed the boat on being able to upgrade the nvme drive.

64gigs is kinda ouch in 2021/22

otherwise I will try and get a 256 or 512

I think this is an area where an nvme card like MS developed for the series consoles would be handy

Well, the nice thing is that it's probably really easy to install and run games from the MicroSD slot. Hopefully, they have a high speed MicroSD interface that allows for the use of high read and write speed MicroSDs at full read/write speed. That's one thing that the NSW could seriously use.

Also, since Steam uses online ownership verification of games, you can probably just hook up an external drive via USB-C and run games off of that.

Just make your own USB-C thumbstick with a cheap NVME drive.

Regards,
SB

NVME SSD. Is it easily user replaceable? If so, buy the cheapest model then upgrade the NVME yourself.

So much depends on how it's implemented. The cheapest with NVME is the $530 model. The lower end $400 has eMMC instead. Though maybe that entry point will still have the NVME slot available?

Well, the nice thing is that it's probably really easy to install and run games from the MicroSD slot. Hopefully, they have a high speed MicroSD interface that allows for the use of high read and write speed MicroSDs at full read/write speed. That's one thing that the NSW could seriously use.

Also, since Steam uses online ownership verification of games, you can probably just hook up an external drive via USB-C and run games off of that.

Just make your own USB-C thumbstick with a cheap NVME drive.

Regards,
SB

Micro sd will affect performance however. I am sure there are a ton of steam games that could work well off it. I wouldn't want to play anything new from them. Micro sd is what 120MB/s now ?

I would get the $530 model if I'm lucky and hope I can easily take the back off and upgrade the nvme drive. I wouldn't do it right away but who knows by the end of 2022 a 2TB nvme drive could approach $100ish

edit

I am assuming the 64gig makes them the least money. Its most likely there just to hit the price point and I could see them soldering that emmc nand to the board to prevent people from buying up the cheap device and adding in an ssd. I also assume the 512 gig one makes them the most money and they will try and steer people to that one.

Last edited:
They already confirmed the storage is soldered.

Running games out of a SD card is possible, but unless it's a UHS-II model then it's painfully slow (I know for experience).
And if you're going to invest in a UHS-II card, you might as well just spend the extra in the 512GB version.

It has touchpads! :D So far Nintendo 3DS remains my best console experience because pen on touchscreen was a really good mouse alternative.
I hope this is more precise than Steamcontroller was, but in any case - not bad.
Specs seem a bit tight. For the price i'd expect to beat PS4 and come closer to Pro. 3TF would have been a hit.
Still, really nice.

They already confirmed the storage is soldered.

Running games out of a SD card is possible, but unless it's a UHS-II model then it's painfully slow (I know for experience).
And if you're going to invest in a UHS-II card, you might as well just spend the extra in the 512GB version.

I would most likely do the 256 gig version + a 512 gig micro sd card. I should be able to put a lot of older steam games and roms on that and keep the 256 for a few newer games. But who knows

I wonder how something like this would fair
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-P...n+digital+external+ssd&qid=1626380591&sr=8-18

but I guess it depends on how easy it is to have the steam deck keep track of external games that get unpluged and plugged back in. I know doing so on my surface sometimes causes issues within windows.

could maybe also do one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-Ad...380669&sprefix=nvme+usb+3.1+en,aps,161&sr=8-5

They're using DXVK and VKD3D so AMD HW is a reasonable choice since they have the least amount of issues with those translation layers compared to other vendors. Proton might not work with some online games that load anti-cheat kernel drivers which requires more radical workarounds ...

They're using DXVK and VKD3D so AMD HW is a reasonable choice since they have the least amount of issues with those translation layers compared to other vendors. Proton might not work with some online games that load anti-cheat kernel drivers which requires more radical workarounds ...

They're working with two of the big anti cheat folks that I forget the names of. Seems they've at least thought of that.

Last edited:
It has touchpads! :D So far Nintendo 3DS remains my best console experience because pen on touchscreen was a really good mouse alternative.
I hope this is more precise than Steamcontroller was, but in any case - not bad.
Specs seem a bit tight. For the price i'd expect to beat PS4 and come closer to Pro. 3TF would have been a hit.
Still, really nice.

Yeah but on RDNA2 at 1280x800 you're looking at way more effective power than the Pro per pixel there. Consider the Series S is only 2.5x faster in TFLOP terms (I'm assuming the rest of the GPU scales similarly) which would mean it has the same performance per pixel as a Series S running at something like 1200p. And that's with a Zen 2 CPU and SSD. So it should be capable of graphics very similar to the current gen consoles at it's target resolution and well beyond the previous mid gens.

Yeah but on RDNA2 at 1280x800 you're looking at way more effective power than the Pro per pixel there. Consider the Series S is only 2.5x faster in TFLOP terms (I'm assuming the rest of the GPU scales similarly) which would mean it has the same performance per pixel as a Series S running at something like 1200p. And that's with a Zen 2 CPU and SSD. So it should be capable of graphics very similar to the current gen consoles at it's target resolution and well beyond the previous mid gens.
4tf / 1920/1080 = 19 per pixel, 1.6 /1280 / 800 = 15.6 per pixel so worse perf per pixel ;d also 1280x800 will not looks great on 7 inch display

Still, really nice.
same power but gpu from nvidia with dlss and 1080p screen and I would buy it

4tf / 1920/1080 = 19 per pixel, 1.6 /1280 / 800 = 15.6 per pixel so worse perf per pixel ;d also 1280x800 will not looks great on 7 inch display

Since when was 1080p the target resolution of the PS4Pro?

And why not on the resolution? Its the equivalent of 6400p on a 56" screen. Even from very close that would look great.

Since when was 1080p the target resolution of the PS4Pro?

And why not on the resolution? Its the equivalent of 6400p on a 56" screen. Even from very close that would look great.
I compared to xss (in your post you were comparing to xss), I played last weekend on switch and mario wasn't specialy sharp on 720p 5.5 inch so 800p 7inch imho will not be great, you play much closer to screen on hanheld than playing on tv so far from perfect comparison

I compared to xss (in your post you were comparing to xss), I played last weekend on switch and mario wasn't specialy sharp on 720p 5.5 inch so 800p 7inch imho will not be great

I already stated it was the equivalent of 1200p on the XSS in the post you were responding to?

Back