Steam Deck - SteamOS, Zen2 4C/8T, RDNA2 1.0-1.6 TF, 16 GB LPDDR5 88 GB/s, starting at $399 [2021-12]

Currently they offer 3 different storage options

$399 - 64 GB eMMC
$529 - 256 GB NVME
$649 - 512 GB NVME

Steam Deck starts shipping December 2021 to the United States, Canada, the European Union, and the United Kingdom. More regions coming in 2022.

Potential downside is it runs SteamOS, so there might be potential game library issues with not all titles running there.

Reminds me of that Razer gaming tablet I came across at Best Buy years back. This is much cheaper but that ran Windows.

What's stopping MS from releasing a cutdown Series S as the mobile variant?

Say 4 core Zen 2 CPU (with SMT) and 10 RDNA2 CUs at 2TF. Basically something that's powerful enough to run Xbox One games via VM? Something like this should be significantly cheaper and smaller than Series S no?

So I pretty much called this. Just for the wrong company:

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

Processor
AMD APU
CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
APU power: 4-15W
RAM
16 GB LPDDR5 RAM (5500 MT/s)

Gamesradar's interview confirms the RDNA2 GPU in there supports hardware raytracing.

Wow, this looks fantastic for the price.

16:10 screen ratio, kind of a weird choice isn't it?

So I pretty much called this. Just for the wrong company:

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

Processor
AMD APU
CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
APU power: 4-15W
RAM
16 GB LPDDR5 RAM (5500 MT/s)

Just wait

But 1.6tflops is getting very close to series s power. I might grab the 256 or 512 gig one . Much better investment to me than a switch oled.

You can also install a proper version of Windows, if you desire such things.

At a glance, it's a nice device. Does depend of proton to a degree. I don't travel enough to warrant one, but in prior jobs I'd have definately had one to chuck in the travel bag.

Last edited:
I wish it had a 1080p screen for ultra crispness, especially with FSR being able to put the console rendering at 720p then upscaling.

But otherwise it looks like a day one purchase for me.

price looks great for this type of device, but very curious to see the pricing out in areas that generally consoles are priced much higher (than the USD) due to import taxes etc.

Some thoughts.
  • It's Steam, so you can stream your games from any PC on which you have Steam. Quality will depend on your internet/LAN connection. Not super great, but decent enough for casual games. Laggier controls but possibility for running graphically demanding games through streaming.
  • NVME SSD. Is it easily user replaceable? If so, buy the cheapest model then upgrade the NVME yourself.
  • How easy/hard is it to install Windows and will all the controls and buttons still work with Windows?
  • What's battery life on it like? A range would be nice, from indie games to AAA games.
  • DP, HDMI, and USB-C nice assortment of outputs and inputs.
  • What's the resolution of the display?
Not sure if I'd get one at full price, but with a discount it would enter impulse buy territory. It looks bulkier than the NSW, so not sure it'd make for a nicer portable device, but the benefit would be not having to rebuy some games on NSW in order to easily play them on the go.

Another benefit, if it's easy to install Windows, is that it would also double as a nice portable PC, although you'd have to bring your own KB/M.

Something like this is much better than their earlier Steam Machines initiative.

Regards,
SB

Something like this is much better than their earlier Steam Machines initiative

If it works as well as they're saying, Proton really makes a difference versus the original Steam Machines. The other is by doing the hardware themselves. It looks really solid. The Steam Machines were expensive and looked like poop.

Back