Star Wars Discussion Thread (Movies, Books, Plotholes, etc)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Picao84, Dec 14, 2017.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Your prejudice / racism is so predictable it hurts.
    I'm brown and I obviously wasn't talking about brown actors/characters.

Exactly this.
    So much time dedicated to a certain inconsequential and useless subplot, just to shit on all the questions that put people on edge after Force Awakens.

#21 ToTTenTranz, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Well, to the point, Star Wars main are "Episodes". And, no, they never had an overarching treatment for the these three Eps straight off - Force Awakens was largely done on the fly, Rian Johnson was given a blank slate to write from (other than the characters in play). Likewise, JJ is now back for Ep IX (after Kathy Kennedy reject Trevero's script / direction) and supposedly he was detailing his story / direction to Lucas/Disney just last week.

From a character perspective, you don't necessarily know if some of what was said was purposeful misdirection and from a production perspective, with JJ back, you don't know what will be specifically addressed in Ep IX.

And personally I liked the Snoke story.

3. ToTTenTranz

There was one promised guideline, though. Both George Lucas and Kahleen Kennedy stated several times that the main Episodes would be about the Skywalker family.
    Though they're going around that, obviously.

What Snoke story?
    There is no Snoke story. Zero. Kylo kills him and his personal guard and 5 minutes later he runs the whole 1st Order like it was nothing.. Man that chain of command is tight!

Snoke was reduced from an intriguing character (who is he and why was such a powerful being during the reign of Palpatine / Darth Sidious?) to storyless plot device.

You can argue you like how he was downgraded to plot device, sure. But there no "Snoke story" to like.

gb25, BRiT and Picao84 like this.
  4. Picao84

Veteran Regular

I was going to ask exactly the same thing regarding Snoke. I hope he's not referring to anything outside the movie (e.g. Animated series, books) because that would pretty lame..

5. Picao84

Veteran Regular

Then that is the dumbest thing I've seen "Holywood" doing. They are treating something that has billions of dollars in value like its a game and hope for the best (@ToTTenTranz "fia-te na virgem e não corras" comes to mind). Its outrageous really and greatly diminishes George Lucas legacy. Oh well, Disney will be Disney...

6. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

About the Rey parents thing
    I figure Kylo lied. He's a deceptive child mind. And there was a scene with Luke and Rey that I felt hinted that Luke knew who she is. Maybe academy related.

He and Mara Jade got together amirite!!?? ;) I jest.

#26 swaaye, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  7. dogen

Regular Newcomer

Snoke wasn't an intriguing character in the first place though...

Maybe they could've done something with him in the third movie I guess..

8. Picao84

Veteran Regular

I would bet that they will fix it on episode IX like that, especially now that JJ is back. Snoke though, is not as easy to fix and if they do, it will be pretty lame unless

it is done through flashbacks, like someone comes to avenge him and we get the back story through him /her

swaaye likes this.
  9. Picao84

Veteran Regular

Just the fact that they got Andy Serkin a.k.a. Gollum, to play the role makes him intriguing IMO. Or you live under a rock and haven't been paying attention to Internet this past two years. :D

10. dogen

Regular Newcomer

I'm talking about what's in the movies, not star wars fan theories. He was just the new palpatine rip off.

11. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Some of the fan theories on Snoke sounded pretty damn sweet.

One fan theory was Snoke is a Force Vampire. Snoke survives by devouring the life and force essence of those strong in the force.

He's also more powerful than Luke could handle. He couldn't stop Snoke through battle so he had to find a new way to kill him. That's the reason why Luke decided to stop training Jedi's. Luke didn't want to supply a source of further strength (food) for Snoke. He figured the only way to kill Snoke was to starve him out making him weaker. Only then would Snoke eventually die off.

The only way of ridding the galaxy of the evil Snoke is to ensure there will never be any more Jedi.

See, now isn't that premise a substantially more interesting and entertaining premise to use for Snoke's story line? It's the story of ultimate sacrifice for the overall betterment of the galaxy.

Billy Idol, swaaye and Picao84 like this.
  12. Picao84

Veteran Regular

That or something else would have given the character purpose. The way things happened, he had no purpose. The comparison to Palpatine its troublesome. Palpatine was not a mere plot device, especially after the prequels. He is The ONE character that puts the Skywalker story in motion. He single handedly destroyed the Republic from within it. He is the ultimate villain. Smart, cunning, manipulative, vicious. Snoke was not given the opportunity to be any of that. And now we have for a villain a kid whose biggest accomplishments so far were two coward acts because he is a depressed trigger happy emo at odds with the world he lives in?

swaaye and BRiT like this.
  13. dogen

Regular Newcomer

Not really sure how that would make for an entertaining star wars movie though.

14. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

About the potential fan theory on Snoke and making it into an entertaining movie... That doesnt need to be the entire focus, but they could have

But they could have had flashbacks to Snoke in action with his victims and even a Luke vs Snoke battle where Luke was fortunate to escape. This could unfold as Luke begins to explain his reasons for being a hermit like old man Ben. Not everything has to chronologically haopen after The Force Awakens.

They could throw in some thrilling space chases while the Rebels bid their time. There could be a sled chase with fuzzy animals like ewoks or rabbits pulling a sled on a forest planet like the The Brown Wizard scene in JRR Tokein realm. Afterall this is Disney and they need merchandise opportunities, plushies and all.

Then for movie 9 they could have had a final confrontation between Mr Trash Worker turned Rebel and Poe and the other Rebels and the Empire.

swaaye likes this.
  15. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Watch it with the spoilering in this thread please, or it's going to make a lot of people unhappy!

16. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

@Grall So now one needs to spoiler items that are being talked about only from the standpoint of what Disney could have done instead? I haven't even seen the movie yet myself, but I'm just discussing what could make for potentially better experience. I'll go back and spoiler the previous post. I just didn't think it was needed because it's not about the actual movie. It's more about how to make an entertaining movie with better plot points.

17. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Is it a spoiler by virtue of what the story is not? :grin:

18. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Oh, so it was the bit about the Brown Wizard Rabbit Sled.

Malo likes this.
  19. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

If it means one can infer things about the plot, then yes, it would be appreciated. :p It's not too much of a bother is it, for one of the biggest movies of the year? :D I mean, I read you talking about snoke and your thoughts about some plotline of his and missed opportunities and I'm getting all like I don't want to know anything about this yet!

So pretty please, spoiler tags ok? Thanks! :D

eloyc and BRiT like this.
  20. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Seen TLJ myself tonight. I really liked it. Probably more than TFA. Don't understand the criticism. Can't wait for more. Will be interesting to see how they end this last trilogy.

Tommy McClain