Star Wars Battlefront II (SW:BF2) [PC]

It's an arcade-style shooter, who would expect any kind of realism? Looks at the movies it's based off, fun space action flicks with no semblance in reality and never any reason to be.

It's an arcade-style shooter, who would expect any kind of realism? Looks at the movies it's based off, fun space action flicks with no semblance in reality and never any reason to be.
Right, I don't even consider Star Wars to be science fiction. I wouldn't even call it science fantasy since basically nothing in the SW universe is remotely scientifically accurate. Pretty much straight up fantasy IMO. But I still like the movies and games :)

Played the beta multiplayer. There's a weird horizontal scanline effect over everything. Is that intentional?

I think you mean the Moiré effect which comes with the negative LOD. (Battlefield 1 had this ugly problem too, BATTLEFRONT 1 not - the higher the resolution, the weaker the Moiré effect becoms)

Example of this effect:

The image in BATTLEFRONT II is still damaged with artifacts and therefore it is no comparison to BATTLEFRONT I.
-Chromatic Aberration
-Lens Distortion
-Vignetting
-massive film grain
-Moiré effect

These eye cancer elements must be removed!

EDIT:
Good news:
"Cinematic effects (lens distortion, filmgrain, chromatic aberration) will be toned down in the full game."
"Looking into options to toggle these features. Lensdistortion has pros & cons; It magnifies the center of the screen but adds a slight blur"

https://twitter.com/Kvasibarn

They still need to fix this Moiré effect!

Last edited:
When using temporal reconstruction AA, you get free texture filtering of quality comperable to aniso as well, but you have to push your mip leves further back for it to work (negative lod).
So maybe whats happening to you guys is that the mip level hack is on, but the TAA isnt doing its job.

Maybe it is like you said but for me this noisy picture only has disadvantages. I prefer the image of the nearly artifact free BATTLEFRONT 1 by far (yes it still has color banding).

Last edited:
I think you mean the Moiré effect which comes with the negative LOD. (Battlefield 1 had this ugly problem too, BATTLEFRONT 1 not - the higher the resolution, the weaker the Moiré effect becoms)
No, this is over everything, including the main menu, cutscenes etc.

It looks intentional to be some kind of "you're experiencing this through an old monitor with problems" effect.

This is the effect. It's over everything but especially noticeable on the vertical lines.

Thanks for the video. I think they want to simulate a hologram or VHS cassette. Yes, it is unnecessary.
Yeah its weird, maybe wasn't supposed to affect the text?
That kind of effect was good & appropriate in Alien: Isolation, but basically 0 other games.

Edit: 2560*1080 is a pretty odd resolution (monitors with that do exist but I can't imagine actually using one :confused: I'm a 16:10 kinda guy, give me 1920*1200 any day over 1920*1080), maybe as Jupiter suggests, its a scaling effect from wrong resolution?

Last edited:
2560*1080 is a pretty odd resolution
No it's not, very common resolution for 21:9 monitors, that and 3440x1440 for higher dpi displays. For gaming monitors, 21:9 aspect ratio is probably more common now that 16:10. It's also the identical AR to cinema.

That aside, it's not a scaling issue. I agree the effect was good in Alien Isolation but it was done better there as well.

Well if its what you've got thats fine & rules out scaling.

Anyways, how's the gameplay? I'm looking at 22GB download for 1day of play, don't think I can be assed with my relatively slow ADSL2+

I'm looking at 22GB download for 1day of play, don't think I can be assed with my relatively slow ADSL2+
Can't you just let it go overnight? Of course, weekend's almost over by now, but maybe you don't do much on monday evenings anyway? :LOL:

Anyways, how's the gameplay? I'm looking at 22GB download for 1day of play, don't think I can be assed with my relatively slow ADSL2+
I wouldn't bother. Very arcadey and not worth the large download on your limited bandwidth/cap.

The image in BATTLEFRONT II is still damaged with artifacts and therefore it is no comparison to BATTLEFRONT I.
-Chromatic Aberration
-Lens Distortion
-Vignetting
-massive film grain
-Moiré effect

These eye cancer elements must be removed!
What is so bizarre about these artifacts is that not only are they completely alien to a computer rendered scene, they are just tossing every damn aberration in there! Not only are they effectively gone from modern photography and film, having film grain AND moire which is an aberration exclusive to having a digital sensor with an inefficient anti-aliasing filter AT THE SAME TIME is .... is....

I can’t find words for the stupidity. It’s off my scales.

I do not understand how DICE came to these ideas. From my point of view it is embarrassing. The only good thing is that I can turn down the motion blur. At the standard values it blurres the whole picture where I get a headache. Uncharted 4s and The Order 1886s motion blur had an similar impact to me.
It would interesting to see how the picture would look without all these artifacts. The Moiré effect will most probably remain. Hopefully, there will be no oversharpness as in Battlefield 1. At the moment, BATTLEFRONT looks more cinematic than Battlefield 1 and BATTLEFRONT II. I liked the visuals from BATTLEFRONT I so much I ve played it 400 to 500 hours since 2015. ^^

Unfortunately, compared to closed BETA the game speed has risen. I found the closed BETA much better to play and more tactical. At least they have now upgraded some classes which were previously too weak (Assault).

Last edited:
Back