Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

A now former Elite Dangerous player talks about what you can currently do in Star Citizen.

The other day SC mates and me took part in the dynamic Nine Tail event and there was a two-hour battle against waves of saveral smaller and larger spaceships. If my whole team had been stronger it wouldn't have taken so long. In addition, some criminal players joined the Nine Tails which made it much more difficult.

I've been playing Star Citizen regularly since Alpha 2.0. Never before have I played a game consistently for so many years. CitizenCon in October will probably show several things which will be coming in the future.

Star Citizen Roadmap: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/progress-tracker/teams

Last edited:
Shortfilm made by fans.

Normally I rarely watch something like this but for a project like this it's good.

Here you can see the new inventory system

First there will only be the personal inventory. The physical inventory with containers, lockers and so on will follow next year.

They changed the “Death of a Spaceman" target.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...spatch/18327-Loremakers-Guide-To-Regeneration

If the body has been destroyed the character does not have to be dead forever.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the new render so I don't get crap performance to give it another try. Can't believe its been 9 years since i backed this game

In many places the performance is fine. In some, however, it is not.

Yes, a lot has happened in these nine years. Overall there are only few games where I am looking forward to enthusiastically after watching videos, reading texts etc. There are also only a few games which I leave enthusiastically after playing them. Sure, there are many good games but few where you could be overwhelmed. Star Citizen often manages to do that for me. I'm already looking forward to CitizenCon which will take place on October 9. CIG will probably release the schedule for this year's CitizenCon this Friday.

My favourite main presentation was the one from 2018 and after that 2016. If the whole CitizenCon is considered the one from 2019 was the best. There were many interesting side presentations. Last years CitizenCon was cancelled. Here's a ten minute summary of all the CitizenCons.

The Adrift video above was made by a person who works with film every day. Since this had to be organised and spaceships can run out of fuel and characters can get hungry, some shots took over an hour.

CitizenCon 2951 will be broadcasted on Twitch UTC: OCTOBER 9TH, 3PM
  • OPENING WITH CHRIS ROBERTS
    The Chairman himself, Chris Roberts kicks off this year’s event.
    • Chris Roberts
      Founder & Chief Executive Officer
  • LIFE IN THE ’VERSE
    This year’s biggest panel takes you on a guided tour of the current in-game universe. Join the developers who bring it all to life to explore locations, systems, and gameplay, and more.
    • Ian Leyland
      Star Citizen Art Director
    • Todd Papy
      Star Citizen Live Director
    • David Haddock
      Narrative Director
    • And More!
  • SHIP TALK
    In this year’s Ship Talk presentation, John Crewe, Ben Curtis, and Paul Jones reveal new and upcoming ships, delve into their journey through production, and provide some much anticipated updates about a fan favorite vessel.
    • John Crewe
      Vehicle Director
    • Ben Curtis
      Vehicle Art Director
    • Paul Jones
      Art Director
  • GEN 12 & THE MULTICORE OF VULKAN
    We’ll delve into the nitty gritty details of Gen12, the new renderer being developed for Star Citizen and Squadron 42, utilizing the Vulkan graphics API, with a particular focus on multi-CPU parallelism as well as improved flexibility for quicker feature development. We’ll look at why it was needed, its architecture and how this aids performance, and we’ll give you an update on its progress.
    • Ali Brown
      Director of Graphics Engineering
    • Christopher Bolte
      Core Engine Architect
    • Silvan Hau
      Engine Programmer
    • Darrell Barnes
      Graphics Programmer
  • CRAFTING WORLDS: PLANETARY TOOLS & TECH
    A big-picture look at some of the new planet tech features being developed to help further bring Star Citizen to life.
    • Anis Hireche
      Senior Engine Programmer
    • Marc Rivoira
      Tools Programmer I
    • Morgan Minardi
      Engine/Tools Programmer II
    • Will Hain
      Engineer Programmer II
    • Marco Corbetta
      Vice President of Technology
  • SERVER MESHING & THE STATE OF PERSISTENCE
    Discover the transformative technologies of Server Meshing and Persistent Streaming. A deep dive into the technical architecture of these key core initiatives that will enable a truly massive, scalable and persistent world.
    • Paul Reindell
      Director of Engineering, Online Technology
    • Benoit Beausejour
      Chief Technology Officer at Turbulent
  • THE SOUNDS OF SPACE
    The mad minds behind the soundscapes of Star Citizen take you on a guided tour of the latest developments in the innovative new audio tech that truly brings the ’verse to life.
    • Graham Phillipson
      Lead Audio Programmer
    • Adi Keltsh
      Sound Designer
  • SYSTEMIC GAMEPLAY: STREAM OF THOUGHT
    Tony Zurovec leads a wide-ranging discussion with Rob Reininger, Ben Dorsey, and Luke Pressley about upcoming features like selling used items, local inventory, the convergence of the reputation and mission systems, why physicalized cargo is so important, the next couple of Dynamic Events, and more. Tony will also give an update on how efforts to integrate the first few bits of the Quantum simulation into the game are proceeding.
    • Tony Zurovec
      Director of Persistent Universe
    • Rob Reininger
      Assistant Director, SGS Pillar
    • Ben Dorsey
      Senior Systems Designer
    • Luke Pressley
      Lead Designer
  • CLOSING WITH CHRIS ROBERTS
    Chris Roberts returns to take us home.
    • Chris Roberts
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon

That's unfair.
Look at all the concept art JPEGs they've been served with.

This is getting too old. There are alraedy like 80 space ships in the game.

It takes a special kind of person to be excited after a decade of development.

Maybe it hasn't been noticed yet but I've been playing this game regularly since 2015. Every patch brings something new. Sometimes more or less good. I also still get excited when I see top-notch films like Vertigo. Even if I've already seen them several times.

Especially since there is no game that is similar to SC. Even a new quarterly patch can bring something that I didn't know and for me advances the video game medium.

Last edited:
There are alraedy like 80 space ships in the game.

Wow that's like 8 ships per year of development.

And how many different ships have they sold so far? This list tells me 80 is less than half the number of ships they've sold people for actual money.
I'm also going on a limb and guess most of the larger ships that artists take more time to model aren't out yet, and many of those 80 are just small variations of each other.

CitizenCon 2951 will be broadcasted on Twitch UTC: OCTOBER 9TH, 3PM
  • OPENING WITH CHRIS ROBERTS
    The Chairman himself, Chris Roberts kicks off this year’s event.
    • Chris Roberts
  • LIFE IN THE ’VERSE
    This year’s biggest panel takes you on a guided tour of the current in-game universe. Join the developers who bring it all to life to explore locations, systems, and gameplay, and more.
    • Ian Leyland
      Star Citizen Art Director
    • Todd Papy
      Star Citizen Live Director
    • David Haddock
      Narrative Director
    • And More!
  • SHIP TALK
    In this year’s Ship Talk presentation, John Crewe, Ben Curtis, and Paul Jones reveal new and upcoming ships, delve into their journey through production, and provide some much anticipated updates about a fan favorite vessel.
    • John Crewe
      Vehicle Director
    • Ben Curtis
      Vehicle Art Director
    • Paul Jones
      Art Director
  • GEN 12 & THE MULTICORE OF VULKAN
    We’ll delve into the nitty gritty details of Gen12, the new renderer being developed for Star Citizen and Squadron 42, utilizing the Vulkan graphics API, with a particular focus on multi-CPU parallelism as well as improved flexibility for quicker feature development. We’ll look at why it was needed, its architecture and how this aids performance, and we’ll give you an update on its progress.
    • Ali Brown
      Director of Graphics Engineering
    • Christopher Bolte
      Core Engine Architect
    • Silvan Hau
      Engine Programmer
    • Darrell Barnes
      Graphics Programmer
  • CRAFTING WORLDS: PLANETARY TOOLS & TECH
    A big-picture look at some of the new planet tech features being developed to help further bring Star Citizen to life.
    • Anis Hireche
      Senior Engine Programmer
    • Marc Rivoira
      Tools Programmer I
    • Morgan Minardi
      Engine/Tools Programmer II
    • Will Hain
      Engineer Programmer II
    • Marco Corbetta
      Vice President of Technology
  • SERVER MESHING & THE STATE OF PERSISTENCE
    Discover the transformative technologies of Server Meshing and Persistent Streaming. A deep dive into the technical architecture of these key core initiatives that will enable a truly massive, scalable and persistent world.
    • Paul Reindell
      Director of Engineering, Online Technology
    • Benoit Beausejour
      Chief Technology Officer at Turbulent
  • THE SOUNDS OF SPACE
    The mad minds behind the soundscapes of Star Citizen take you on a guided tour of the latest developments in the innovative new audio tech that truly brings the ’verse to life.
    • Graham Phillipson
      Lead Audio Programmer
    • Adi Keltsh
      Sound Designer
  • SYSTEMIC GAMEPLAY: STREAM OF THOUGHT
    Tony Zurovec leads a wide-ranging discussion with Rob Reininger, Ben Dorsey, and Luke Pressley about upcoming features like selling used items, local inventory, the convergence of the reputation and mission systems, why physicalized cargo is so important, the next couple of Dynamic Events, and more. Tony will also give an update on how efforts to integrate the first few bits of the Quantum simulation into the game are proceeding.
    • Tony Zurovec
      Director of Persistent Universe
    • Rob Reininger
      Assistant Director, SGS Pillar
    • Ben Dorsey
      Senior Systems Designer
    • Luke Pressley
      Lead Designer
  • CLOSING WITH CHRIS ROBERTS
    Chris Roberts returns to take us home.
    • Chris Roberts
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon
Some nice presentations this year.

Hopefully Gen12 goes live soon and they can stop updating DX11 side and allow faster engine development.
Vulkan should allow decent new GPU feature use as well.

That list of presentations reads like no part of the game is remotely close to launching. When is the campaign suppose to release?
Single player campaign will be released as Squadron 42 and it is not part of MMO component which is Star Citizen.

Release is when it's ready. (or near ready, hopefully unlike Cyberpunk.)
I'm sure you know how releasing of games should go.

There is road map which shows there is still ways to go to full product.
Apparently Immersive sim games are more complex to do than pure shooters.

Last edited:
Apparently it's okay to milk money from easily duped backers for years on end, even get applauded for it.
Really.

There has been plenty of discussion and most likely threads on the subject. (Yes, it sucks.)

It would be lovely if we could talk about other aspects of game development or games without constant remainders of the talking points which derail each thread.

They do try to make quite interesting game after all, don't they?

Really.

There has been plenty of discussion and most likely threads on the subject. (Yes, it sucks.)

It would be lovely if we could talk about other aspects of game development or games without constant remainders of the talking points which derail each thread.

They do try to make quite interesting game after all, don't they?

While I agree with you about the constant reminders, at the same time they're here because people are not sure that they're trying to make a interesting game in the end. I get they're ambitious, but they have little to show (imo) after all these years.

While I agree with you about the constant reminders, at the same time they're here because people are not sure that they're trying to make a interesting game in the end. I get they're ambitious, but they have little to show (imo) after all these years.
Agreed, the work on base game systems seems painfully slow.

Really hope that that they get all the underlying systems online, so they can concentrate to use them for gameplay and thus show to people why the work was needed and what it allows.

Back