Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Scenes from Orison cloud city and the first version of gas giant tech

3.14 will be released soon.

EDIT: Linked original video.

Last edited:
Maybe one does not like the art? With the exception of characters, RDR2-like soft shadows, some distance stuff, and more tessellation on trees, there's from my point of view not much more that can be done with traditional rendering methods on Orison. It may not come across that way in the video but in most places Orison is as sharp as it gets. The structures are all very smooth and there you can not add so many details. You can't see that in this blurry WIP video. On maximum settings an RTX 3090 is needed for 30 fps on Orison with it's clouds. The dynamic lighting is very good. On the other hand games with a static time of day have it super easy.

Besides improving the clouds and the mentioned points from above only raytracing could improve the graphics in a way that would be visible at first glance. In the future there will be more movement and particle effects in the gas clouds. Gas giants will evolve like the planetary technology.

After a long time Chris Roberts reports again:

In this video from above Roberts said that he will move to UK to finish Squadron 42.

Orison in 3.14 PTU

Orison is mesmerizing. I even think I waste too much time in it because I'm just walking around looking at stuff. I also find the industrial area and the airport very nice. Both are hardly or not at all visible in the videos.

Last edited:
Its pretty but isn't there no anti-gravity in the lore? -> completely stupid & impossible.

Give the lore anti-grav or don't make this kind of nonsense.

i still get really bad performance. Its a shame cause I want to play it but they need to fix that performance quick.

Also can't believe we are almost at the 9th anniversary of the kickstarter just what 3 more months ?

Orison performance in UHD and mixed settings is at 22-36 fps in UHD with RTX 3090 at this moment. Outide of those landing areas the performance is much higher as long as there is no bigger ship battle going on.

Its pretty but isn't there no anti-gravity in the lore? -> completely stupid & impossible.

Give the lore anti-grav or don't make this kind of nonsense.

Most games still have things like self-healing which is more nonsense to me. Antigravity technology exists in SC but I think that in Orison it's a mixture of anti-gravity and propulsion which keeps these plattforms in the air. However, fuel should not be a problem there because fuel is extracted from the gases on Crusader. I don't think realistic or not is important. What matters is whether it is plausible.

SC also has tanks now

I like the walkable tank interior a lot. It's very cosy.

Last edited:
This tank costs about $130 but it is also a good idea to buy the Crusader Hercules for tank transportation.

In World of Warships, which I play as well, some ships also cost about $100.

In this video from above Roberts said that he will move to UK to finish Squadron 42.

Orison in 3.14 PTU

Orison is mesmerizing. I even think I waste too much time in it because I'm just walking around looking at stuff. I also find the industrial area and the airport very nice. Both are hardly or not at all visible in the videos.

That video felt like one looong commercial...

Either way, it needs volumetric clouds close to those platforms to get some depth.
Right now it looks very flat.
And not that awe inspiring...
Killzone Shadow fall looked more impressive. :D

Maybe one does not like the art? With the exception of characters, RDR2-like soft shadows, some distance stuff, and more tessellation on trees, there's from my point of view not much more that can be done with traditional rendering methods on Orison. It may not come across that way in the video but in most places Orison is as sharp as it gets. The structures are all very smooth and there you can not add so many details. You can't see that in this blurry WIP video. On maximum settings an RTX 3090 is needed for 30 fps on Orison with it's clouds. The dynamic lighting is very good. On the other hand games with a static time of day have it super easy.

Besides improving the clouds and the mentioned points from above only raytracing could improve the graphics in a way that would be visible at first glance. In the future there will be more movement and particle effects in the gas clouds. Gas giants will evolve like the planetary technology.

After a long time Chris Roberts reports again:
On phone now so will watch the videos posted above when i get home. The visuals just look flat and low poly in footage prior to my post. Materials not too convincing either.

This tank costs about $130
You farkin wot m8 :confused:

A ship in WoWS that costs a hundy will be one of the very best XP/Silver earning ships in the game & will actually work as intended in all game modes (depending on if its had a post-release balance pass or the devs have been faffing with some of the mechanics)

A tank in this game I'm pretty sure is entirely worthless without owning a ($300+?) ship that can carry it & then what?
Bounce around jankily on some empty planets (even in these slickAF infomercial vids you can see it gets real janky on rocks)...

A ship in WoWS that costs a hundy will be one of the very best XP/Silver earning ships in the game & will actually work as intended in all game modes (depending on if its had a post-release balance pass or the devs have been faffing with some of the mechanics)

A tank in this game I'm pretty sure is entirely worthless without owning a ($300+?) ship that can carry it & then what?
Bounce around jankily on some empty planets (even in these slickAF infomercial vids you can see it gets real janky on rocks)...

A ship in World of Warships is relatively easy to make. The sounds of the ships hardly differ, the weapon sounds sound the same. The hull and the hitbox differ and that's it. There are hardly any unique mechanics that are newly implemented for a ship, etc. On top of that, these ships often can't be unlocked in the game. Buying spaceships in SC is an optional way. As far as I know the tank can be called on small ground platforms. With spaceship, however, it can be transported anywhere. The Hercules can transport two or possibly three tanks at the same time. The tank bounces a bit but the chain animation etc. looks fantastic. It can also fight ground targets well. Tracked vehicles have only been around since tanks and they're still working on the physics.

That video felt like one looong commercial...

Either way, it needs volumetric clouds close to those platforms to get some depth.
Right now it looks very flat.
And not that awe inspiring...
Killzone Shadow fall looked more impressive. :D

This guy is an architect and obviously thinks it's first class. I've never seen anything like Orison before either. Where are all of these games with massive gas planets that are made entirely of volumetric clouds?

Where do the clouds look flat? Does volumetric nebula also look flat in games just because it has no hard edges in close range? Besides, this is only version 1. There's more to come.

Where does this look flat to you? In this game volumetric clouds are rendered for thousends of kilometres with dynamic lighting. Other high praised games have 3*3 km maps.
SC_3_14d (48).jpg

SC_3_14d (25).jpg

SC_3_14d (4).jpg
On phone now so will watch the videos posted above when i get home. The visuals just look flat and low poly in footage prior to my post. Materials not too convincing either.

Compared to a PlayStation 5 exclusive and corridor like game as Ratched and Clank it's still multiple times as detailed plus much better materials. I rarely see a game which comes close wehen materials are investigated. Glass in particular is great.
riftapart.jpg

Where does Orison have angular edges? Almost everything is very smooth. I don't see many places where more polygons should be packed into it. Flags have physics calculations and are not a repetitive animation. Even at a distance of hundreds of metres.
SC_3_14_2021 (88).jpg

Even a distant npc spaceship is sharp, well rounded and detailed.
SC_3_14d (8).jpg

If I land somewhere on one of millions of square kilometres on one of many moons or planets the ground has so much geometry that most other games have 2d ground look in comparison.
SC_3_12_2020 (13).jpg

Last edited:
This guy is an architect and obviously thinks it's first class. I've never seen anything like Orison before either. Where are all of these games with massive gas planets that are made entirely of volumetric clouds?

Where do the clouds look flat? Does volumetric nebula also look flat in games just because it has no hard edges in close range? Besides, this is only version 1. There's more to come.

Where does this look flat to you? In this game volumetric clouds are rendered for thousends of kilometres with dynamic lighting. Other high praised games have 3*3 km maps.

What can I say, it looks flat to me.
Besides, I'm not saying the game has bad graphics, I'm saying I wasn't nearly as impressed as that guy that made that video.
We can certainly analyze why that is, but my opinion shouldn't matter that much. ;)

Back