Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

I would consider the gamepad to be far more appropriate for a space flight game than a mouse/keyboard, just from a control perspective. The thumbsticks combined with L1/R1 for roll would be easier than mouse imo.
This is my thought as well, having 2 joysticks a hat controller and some buttons does not sound bad for a space shooter..

Supporting all your input devices at once is the best solution.
Walking inside your mother ship or dock best suited to kb/mouse. When done jump to your fighter and switch to pad/joystic for control. Land on planet, go to your friendly car hire shop and rent Tesla XL1200 for a ride using your steering wheel and pedals.
I know quite a big gaming desk would be required, but why limit yourself to preselected ONE input device?

:LOL:

This is my thought as well, having 2 joysticks a hat controller and some buttons does not sound bad for a space shooter..
It works extremely well. I still remember how surprised I was when first got a Logitech Wingman Rumblepad around 2001 and played some space games with it. It is so much easier to maneuver with two thumbsticks than with a single joystick. None of that 'hold button 2 for roll/pitch' stuff. Pulling off the Wotan Weave in X-Wing is stupid simple. And the hat is useful, along with the extra buttons, and the Rumblepad even has a throttle.

Yeah, both Halo Reach and Halo 4 have flying sections that work quite well, at least for an action game. Don't know how much autoaim is going on during those sequences though... or how much of a space sim's functionality you can map to the limited number of buttons. Setting shields, selecting between guns and missiles, using a tractor beam, communications, and so on...

Yeah, both Halo Reach and Halo 4 have flying sections that work quite well, at least for an action game. Don't know how much autoaim is going on during those sequences though... or how much of a space sim's functionality you can map to the limited number of buttons. Setting shields, selecting between guns and missiles, using a tractor beam, communications, and so on...
Setting shields and other secondary operations could be easily be mapped on keyboard even if it means holding controller with single hand.

that might be one potential kinect style game interface application, although it could be done with just a mic.

it would be nice to have a crew that followed your voice commands, like "all power to forward shields" for instance.

how cool would that be, say it also alerts you to any ships in your sensor range, heading, whether theyre on a course to intercept ect.

less stuff that you have to micromanage, and just good dorky fun.

"red alert, shields up!" id get a kick out of it at least.

Hawx has voice commands although they get annoying after a while, but I could see them working for lesser used commands quite well

It works extremely well. I still remember how surprised I was when first got a Logitech Wingman Rumblepad around 2001 and played some space games with it. It is so much easier to maneuver with two thumbsticks than with a single joystick. None of that 'hold button 2 for roll/pitch' stuff. Pulling off the Wotan Weave in X-Wing is stupid simple. And the hat is useful, along with the extra buttons, and the Rumblepad even has a throttle.

That's what pedals are for. Sheesh, you people call yourself PC gamers? Shame!!!!!

:devilish:

Game is up to $14.7 million in pledges and the Hangar module, the first playable portion of the game where people can see the ship(s) they've pledged for, will be launched during Gamescom on the 24th of August.

Can't wait to see mine :)

Absolutely fabulous! I grew up playing his games! And Freelancer was so good, I enjoyed it for years. With Star Citizen I hope he can repeat the gameplay and feeling of grandeur and freedom. I have only one reservation - if the final graphics will follow the announcements, ehat kind of a beast will be required to play that masterpiece?

I have my metal nerd card in my wallet.

A lady I know up the street shares in the laughing embarrassment of a thirty something with a metal video game ID card in his wallet that has his internet handle on it. :facepalm:

Yep, I'm that nerd.

I still have my Boltac's Trading Post credit card in my wallet from Wizardry IV for PC from 1987....

I've been looking at flightsticks deciding what I'm going to get once we have access to test it.

I've been looking at flightsticks deciding what I'm going to get once we have access to test it.

Saitek X52Pro is the one Chris Roberts himself uses, but the devs have said that there will be a Star citizen branded HOTAS.

I have a USB version of the CH Flightstick Pro. ;) A classic stick that served me well when these games were all the rage.

However as much as it will horrify y'all, I dig dual stick gamepads with space shooters. I have an old Logitech one with a throttle too.

I haven't had a Flightstick in over 15 years. Star Citizen and now X Rebirth are bringing back the old Privateer/WC/X-Wing/Freespace days (minus the amazing co-op experiences)

There's a lot of bad reviews of the quality and longterm use of that X52 Pro

edit: omg that HOTAS is incredible with a price to match. I wonder how much it will take to convince the wife to get that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hanger module is out now, downloading.

Realized I hadn't migrated my account to the new one so that's done. Was looking at the various ships available for purchase. $110 for the Freelancer? Damn. At least you get lifetime insurance with it.

Back