Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

What's in the prototype so far is pretty damn impressive if you ask me. He also has guys in the design team like Ryan Church who was a lead concept artist on the Star Wars prequels.

And he only needs 2 million from crowd funding, he'll get the other 10-12 million from private investors. The crowd part is sort of just a proof that there's enough interest for a commercially successful product.

I have to agree that now is the time for this to happen, the technology is there, with enough talent around, so if they can find a demand for such a game then it can and should happen.

I always thought that Cryengine 3 could look really good if good artists use it more efficiently...this is like the proof of this imo :)
Furthermore, I dig the very cool space art style. The amount of detail is insane. Wonder if the can keep such quality throughout the whole game/universe.
Watching the trailer (again and again), If I remember correctly, there are a lot of camera views/angles in the video clip directly from WingComander...cool!

Goose bumps alarm...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's cool see what looks like evolved Origin sci-fi visuals running on Cryengine. I hope this game works out. The demo and his ideas are amazing.

Looks like I might have to make a return to PC gaming for the first time in 12 years. Wing Commander is one of my favorite series of all time. Oh lord, I don't think I can afford to get a PC & a Xbox 720. Oh the memories of playing Wing Commander with a flight stick. One good thing is I'll have about 2 years to save my money.

Tommy

Looks stunning! That space carrier is pretty much the sexiest 3d model in a video game I've ever seen, in fact it almost approaches the Prometheus ship. I'm meditating on what a Macross game would look like using this engine.
The only downside is the piss poor explosion in the end, but that could simply be a placeholder.

Looks stunning! That space carrier is pretty much the sexiest 3d model in a video game I've ever seen, in fact it almost approaches the Prometheus ship. I'm meditating on what a Macross game would look like using this engine.
The only downside is the piss poor explosion in the end, but that could simply be a placeholder.

Well, I would consider it work in progress but I was also twitching my toes at that explosion.

Things normally break off and render something broken instead of plainly exploding.

Ufff. I don't know what to think. For a prototype the graphics look rather good.

I like that the idea is for a multiplayer game (hopefully massively multiplayer, like EVE?) because IMO this is the only way to have a truly open-ended game, ie. with proper politics and emergent behaviour (stuff happens that even the devs haven't thought of, and haven't been designed and scripted in some committee meeting).

I was a bit worried about the funding - we've all seen so many times games that promise everything at the outset, only to see the dream run into the brick-wall of financial reality.

The other thing that bothered me, strangely, was the way he went on about the small details like the thrusters and that jazz. Seemed a little bit too detail-oriented for someone trying to sell a game with massive scope, though maybe this is understandable given the scope of the prototype.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this game, it will be nice to see something designed without the constraints of the console.

Ufff. I don't know what to think. For a prototype the graphics look rather good.

I like that the idea is for a multiplayer game (hopefully massively multiplayer, like EVE?) because IMO this is the only way to have a truly open-ended game, ie. with proper politics and emergent behaviour (stuff happens that even the devs haven't thought of, and haven't been designed and scripted in some committee meeting).

I was a bit worried about the funding - we've all seen so many times games that promise everything at the outset, only to see the dream run into the brick-wall of financial reality.

The other thing that bothered me, strangely, was the way he went on about the small details like the thrusters and that jazz. Seemed a little bit too detail-oriented for someone trying to sell a game with massive scope, though maybe this is understandable given the scope of the prototype.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this game, it will be nice to see something designed without the constraints of the console.

This is exactly what I am sceptic about...the mmo aspect!

To satisfy your immediate space sim needs

Diaspora - its free the Gaming Gods cannot understand why you dont have this

Got e-mail from them (newsletter):
We lost the opportunity to break the first day record, but the race isn’t over yet! We currently stand at $455, 590 raised from 4,564 pledges which is pretty impressive considering the outage we’ve had. Seems everyone wants the RSI Constellation and physical goodies!

Impressive...

I flushed some money in Roberts' direction. This is my first donation to one of these projects but considering this is like my favorite genre of old, and Chris talks up a storm, and the demo is sweet, I couldn't resist being potentially helpful.

Not sure why that video instills so much confidence. They have fans in the front of space craft. What are they blowing around in a vacuum? They have flaps on the space craft. Too much copied from an aircraft carrier that makes no sense. Anyway a tad annoying to me. Unless they are designed for atmospheric maneuvers.

Not sure why that video instills so much confidence. They have fans in the front of space craft. What are they blowing around in a vacuum? They have flaps on the space craft. Too much copied from an aircraft carrier that makes no sense. Anyway a tad annoying to me. Unless they are designed for atmospheric maneuvers.

They also have wings too ? Whats your point ? The very first page of this thread has a picture with the ships docked in a city on a planet. One of the key points of the multiplayer is exploring and visting other planets.

Anyway i wish there was a donation above $60 but under $125 that gets you the better ship but no usb stick.

Just did the $60/48€ pledge.

It's the first pledge I've done in my life, because I think this game will be really good, no matter when it comes out, and I want the evil execs from some publishers do rot in hell.

Back