Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

that reminds me freelancer had no joystick control lets hope that mistake isnt made again
I'm now actually worried since bludd reminded me
AFAIK, they have said there will be many different control schemes.

Joystick, gamepad, mouse, keyboard are all supported.

We’ve all got our preferences, so why be forced to choose?

Advanced peripheral support

As part of commitment to high end gaming we are dedicated to supporting the more exotic enthusiast peripherals; HOTAS, flight chair, rudder pedals. It’s all about the immersion and if you've got the equipment we want to support it!

Cannot wait to test this with Oculus Rift and proper joystick..

$4,646,728 currently, seems like they will hit ~5M$..

5 hours to go and a total of 5.6 million space bux pledged by regular people.

Wow, 4 hours to go and they're close to 6 million.

Those new videos they released for AI demo etc. are real nice. Really displays just how incredible this game is going to look.

Now comes the hard part where they have to put together a game and live up to the expectations... ;)

Well, I've pledged enough to get a copy so I'll definitely get to see it. Don't disappoint me, Mr. Roberts! :)

Where's my game? Goddammit!! *drums fingers* whaddyameanIhavetowaituntil2014?!

Anyway if the crowd-sourced funding is over-target by a factor three, does that mean that the private investors will triple their contribution, and transform this game from good->great->epic->epoch-defining? Or will they just take the extra $4M and run?

There's a clear list of all the extra features they'll implement from the extra $4 million - additional planetary systems, more playable ships (including the carrier!), orchestral musical score, celebrity voice actors, a free mission disc for the starting backers, and so on. Right now the site is under maintenance, but there's probably going to be a way to check out all the 'unlocked' stretch goals.
There are also a couple of limited edition type extras for people who payed extra money - an actual box for the game, art book, spaceship maquette, and so on. These all have to be paid for as well.

So basically it was like, 2 million was absolutely necessary just to start the project with a bare bones design, and most of the additional money will be spent on the game to make it better.

It also looks like they plan to keep the fund raiser online and I bet they'll have an option to purchase ingame content like a bigger spaceship for people who don't want to earn it using the actual gameplay. Although I kinda wonder what the point of that is, in a game that's partially about being a trader / pirate / bounty hunter earning money...? ;)

You guys can still pledge on the site http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

Laa-Yosh they have a lot of the game running already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7vhRQPhL1YU#t=1417s

This is from GDC

Then there is the AI combat video they did as a reward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y2cKSUNkVA&feature=plcp

and the early space port art to 3D environment test. I think you will like this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE0o_g2hMbk&feature=plcp

I did the $125 package with free lancer. I'm thinking of upping to the $250 after the holidays. Once you pledge (even the $35 one) you can upgrade your pledge later on for the first 12 months. We should be in alpha for a bit before the upgrade time runs out. So you can see if you want to spend more on it.

I only donated $10. I don't have a PC that would ever be able to play it. And after thinking about it. I'm not sure I could ever play another PC game at a computer desk. I'm too used to play in my recliner in front of my TV with a Xbox controller. Though the idea of playing with a flightstick & throttle is sounding really appealing. I just don't think I want to invest in that for what would be only 1 game. *conflicted*

Tommy McClain

Rise of Flight, a WW1 study sim, got me back into stick and pedals a few years ago, so I'm ready to go. The thought of playing something like this with mouse/keyboard or, even worse, a controller, just seems blasphemous to me. I was annoyed at the videos showing Chris sitting there with a controller running through the carrier bumping into every wall and doorway he encountered.

I have an old CH Flightstick Pro USB ready to go. Actually though I like gamepad thumbsticks for the various old space games so maybe the 360 pad will get used.

Rise of Flight, a WW1 study sim, got me back into stick and pedals a few years ago, so I'm ready to go. The thought of playing something like this with mouse/keyboard or, even worse, a controller, just seems blasphemous to me. I was annoyed at the videos showing Chris sitting there with a controller running through the carrier bumping into every wall and doorway he encountered.

I would consider the gamepad to be far more appropriate for a space flight game than a mouse/keyboard, just from a control perspective. The thumbsticks combined with L1/R1 for roll would be easier than mouse imo.

Back