Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

In my layman's understanding I can see no reason to ever use DX12 when Vulkan does basically the same thing across all platforms. Clearly I am missing something as it seems the number of DX12 games vastly outnumbers the number of Vulkan games (Doom is the only one?).
MS offers support I would assume for DX12 and constantly wroks on the platform and software. I would also hazard a guess that since the majorty of games hit xbox one that they will be dx 12 because of that. PS4 doesn't use vulkan

I wasn't expecting SQ42 till early next year and at that just a few of the levels with more released over the year. With the switch to vulkan I expect it not to happen till late 2018 .

Inertia.
D3D12 doc is pretty bad, it doesn't run on Windows 7/8 neither Linux nor the Switch, and even the XBox One API isn't D3D12 (more like a cross bread)...
And it doesn't have the RenderPass concept which is very helpful regardless of the platform (and critical for TBDR).

Vulkan has no mGPU support, so I'm not touching any PC Vulkan titles until this is sorted out.

With 2* R9 290X, I get over 90% scaling from the second card in DX12 titles. This results in actual performance falling between a GTX 1070 and a GTX 1080. In practice I can push IQ settings even higher than if I had a GTX1080 because I'm using a 40-75Hz Freesync monitor, so anything that doesn't dip below 40FPS plays very well.

Oh, official mGPU support in Vulkan is just over a week old. No news outlet (that I follow) mentioned it so that's why I didn't catch the news.
Carry on, then.

BTW, Doom still doesn't support mGPU, though..

The "raw" Idris ship model has about 45 million triangles without shadow and particle effects. This fits my estimation well.
With enabled shadows the triangel count doubles and since CIG uses many particle effects the degree increases further.
The destroyer (Javelin class) will have more triangles and if the Bengal carrier (~1km) is fully modeled it could have over 200 million triangles. There are also crew and internal space ships.

Vulkan will certainly help even if they naturally culling areas and use LODs. Finally, these space ships must also be able to land on dense planetary surfaces. Maybe even a whole fleets at once. When they get rid of DX11 they can concentrate entirely on Vulkan.

Last edited:
Javelin Destroyer Class (12:18)

It probably costs millions to be able to develop such space ships which have functionalities and are located in a dynamic game world. A lot of R&D is needed.

Before 12:18, some advances of the UK Studio can be seen.

I don't know why you think a lot of R&D is needed, as for the cost, yes it takes time & effort to model but with the right tools it can be done rather efficiently (still expensive but nowhere near the figure you mentionned.)
I don't know what you think is technically different between that game and many other online games...

[A bit sad the game is merely a fantasy, not science or science-fiction.]

I'll take Mass Effect as an example which is also an AAA title.
Here the space ship can only stand in one place while the player is walking around. In the distance (if you look out of the bridge) you can see just bitmap space elements or simple 3D models. In Star Citizen these will be 3D worlds at a lower LOD quality. Space stations and interior levels in Mass Effect do not feel like a single game world but individual levels. When one is in a space ship only the respective space was modeled by the team. It is not a single complete model but sligned levels. This does not have nearly the same level of immersion.

I have already read that some spaceships cost millions in USD. They are in part bigger than whole multiplayer maps and then of course also fully modeled inside. The internal number of employees is now over 400 which is higher than any SONY or Microsoft gamestudio. They are overtaking Crytek.

How is it not science-fiction?

James S.A. Corey, the author of The Expanse (more realistic science fiction) is very interested in Star Citizen: https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/849303306614788096

'Expanse' Co-Creator Ty Franck On Writing, 'Star Citizen' and Why He Hated 'Mass Effect 3'
http://www.glixel.com/interviews/expanse-writer-franck-on-star-citizen-mass-effect-3-w464385

Last edited:
I'll take Mass Effect as an example which is also an AAA title.
You may as well be comparing Star Citizen to Football Manager for all the sense this makes. The ships in ME do not move around a 3D space. They don't need too because it's a RPG. Personally I find the lack of goalkeepers in Star Citizen to be a massive oversight.

For me These things belong to a believable game world but mostly exterior and interior are completely different. I do not know games with giant working and fully modeled vehicles (aircraft carriers etc.)

In addition, EA has advertised traveling and reseaching from Mass Effect: Andromeda. (0:30 to 1:00)

Last edited:
For me These things belong to a believable game world but mostly exterior and interior are completely different. I do not know games with giant working and fully modeled vehicles (aircraft carriers etc.)

Space Engineers? I've built my fair share of massive ships with landing bays, then built shuttles and fighters for it. Then crashed them into other massive ships because that's half the fun. :yes:

jupiter, just wondered if youve played star citizens main rival elite dangerous. If so what do you think of it?

In addition, EA has advertised traveling and reseaching from Mass Effect: Andromeda. (0:30 to 1:00)
It's a single player RPG. There is absolutely zero actual manual flight in the game. Want to travel somewhere? Click on the location on the map, queue warp animation. As stated there's zero comparison between SC and ME, bar static visual spaceship design.

Space Engineers? I've built my fair share of massive ships with landing bays, then built shuttles and fighters for it. Then crashed them into other massive ships because that's half the fun. :yes:

This is Minecraft in space. I would not compare it to Star Citizen.

jupiter, just wondered if youve played star citizens main rival elite dangerous. If so what do you think of it?

I only played it briefly which is why I can only express a superficial opinion. At the moment it is the most advanced product of the space games but they do not use their potential. It lacks in depth. For example the player only flies through asteroid fragments to collect them and not more.
The flight behavior is quite different compared to Star Citizen. Space ships fly more like airplanes and most of them have only a low maneuverability while in Star Citizen the flight behavior will still be completely balanced.

Star Citizen vs. Elite Dangerous ship size
P1ro3H7.jpg

It's a single player RPG. There is absolutely zero actual manual flight in the game. Want to travel somewhere? Click on the location on the map, queue warp animation. As stated there's zero comparison between SC and ME, bar static visual spaceship design.

Nevertheless, innovation is missing. Why do characters in a space station, spaceship or in an outpost just stand around like in a last gen game? They dont have have a daily routine, etc.
For Star Citizen CIG want that NPCs will be able to do whatever the player can do. Flying spaceships, read holograms, load ships, fight in EVA etc.

Around the Verse – Engineering Intelligence: http://imperialnews.network/2017/01/engineering-intelligence/
___

Today/tomorrow they will publish the Shedule for 3.0.

Last edited:
This is Minecraft in space. I would not compare it to Star Citizen.

And I wouldn't compare Star Citizen to Mass Effect but you did. You said "I do not know games with giant working and fully modeled vehicles (aircraft carriers etc.)" and Space Engineers, which I've been playing a long time, is one game I know does this. You can build ships from scratch as large and complex as you like, modify them in realtime and co-operate or fight with others in realtime.

Let me know when Star Citizen does this. :yep2:

Back