Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

they are starting to upset me. They are delaying way to much stuff , even the delay news is getting delayed and they are reselling stuff with flimsy excuses.

When is the effing release date?!?
I get so many news letters, but I need just one: the game is released, here is the copy you baked!

we were supposed to get the FPS portion last month. Now its delayed till its done (since its a bad team on it I bet it hits the end of the year) we were supposed to get the social portion this month that is now delayed. I believe 2.0 arena commander is supposed to his this summer and that's the multi crew stuff. SQ42 was supposed to be this fall along with the alpha of the persistant universe

When is the effing release date?!?
I get so many news letters, but I need just one: the game is released, here is the copy you baked!

As long as people #coff#like eastmen#coff# keep spending hundreds of dollars on prospective overpriced virtual spaceships, they'll keep telling developers to make overpriced virtual spaceships.
Only when people stop giving them ridiculous amounts of money for overpriced virtual spaceships, will they turn their attentions onto providing final releases for their "modules".

BTW, I think that exposing this "modules" thing to the backers and claiming independent release dates for each module is one of the most terrible anti-consumer moves I've seen since 1st-day paid DLC.
They're basically getting a free pass for not having to actually finish the game, ever, while gobbling away more and more money from their backers.

Imagine a Witcher game being released through modules:
"Yeah, we have released the sword-fighting module in beta together with 1/20th of the map as a module for now. The mana/magic module will be available sometime this year in alpha form, and the potion-making module will be available sometime next year. The campaign will be released through episodic modules that will sell sometime between 2016 and the half of the next decade, or so."

Aside from the money I wasted on this thing (which I now doubt it'll ever be done), my greatest worry now is if EA&friends see this as the next best way to make money after F2P and copy the business model for their next games.

Had receved the last news about the last ship... again, somewhere between 200-250$, ofc it is a funding, but seriously, with all the ships released, this is seriously too high priced.. peoples will end with having buy 20x the game, before it is even released.

I haven't paid a dime and don't plan to until it gets officially released (which I suspect will be never), unless one of the "modules" is good enough in its own right to justify the price of entry.

The game probably has 6-8 months before it becomes the laughing stock of the Internet if they don't release something truly substantial or at least something that resembles a release date. Which is sad because it looks so awesome.

This is hardly vaporware or Duke Nukem. There are constant updates of progress on various parts of the game as well as updates to the actual playable alpha portion so far (Arena Commander). Considering the scope of the game and the amount of people involved it's progressing quite well. People don't bat an eyelid when Rock* announce a game, release maybe a screenshot or two over the next year, then another year of marketing push until an actual release of a game they work on for 5+ years. As far as AAA games go they've communicated and shown their progress far far more than any other developer/publisher has.

I have no doubt they will continue to provide uber detailed updates and release numerous modules for backers to play around with. It's just the game, the actual whole game Star Citizen doesn't seem to be anywhere remotely close to any kind of even Alpha release. I would not be surprised at all if it doesn't get released until 2018 or later at this rate.

People don't bat an eyelid when Rock* announce a game, release maybe a screenshot or two over the next year, then another year of marketing push until an actual release of a game they work on for 5+ years.
I can cite dozens, perhaps even hundreds of examples where this is nothing near accurate. How much angst was spewed on this very forum for the PC version of GTAV? How short, exactly, is your memory anyway?

As long as people #coff#like eastmen#coff# keep spending hundreds of dollars on prospective overpriced virtual spaceships, they'll keep telling developers to make overpriced virtual spaceships.
Only when people stop giving them ridiculous amounts of money for overpriced virtual spaceships, will they turn their attentions onto providing final releases for their "modules".

BTW, I think that exposing this "modules" thing to the backers and claiming independent release dates for each module is one of the most terrible anti-consumer moves I've seen since 1st-day paid DLC.
They're basically getting a free pass for not having to actually finish the game, ever, while gobbling away more and more money from their backers.

Imagine a Witcher game being released through modules:
"Yeah, we have released the sword-fighting module in beta together with 1/20th of the map as a module for now. The mana/magic module will be available sometime this year in alpha form, and the potion-making module will be available sometime next year. The campaign will be released through episodic modules that will sell sometime between 2016 and the half of the next decade, or so."

Aside from the money I wasted on this thing (which I now doubt it'll ever be done), my greatest worry now is if EA&friends see this as the next best way to make money after F2P and copy the business model for their next games.

Hey they banned me from the forums cause I've be complaining for the last year about the ship bloat. I haven't put any money into the game since this time last year and that was $50 bucks.

Its also obvious that funding is scretching to a hault. Last week they had for the first time a complete line of ships sold the hull series and it failed to break 3m ( some $60 ship sales break 3m or more) and now the starfarer hasn't broken $1m yet

Also SQ42 which is the single player game will be released as episodes starting this fall (if they hit the time line) and are supposed to have a new 10 hour pack every 3 months or so until the game is done. As it stands now most backers from 2012 to 2013 should get the first year and a half of episodes for free. So that should give you a nice 50 to 60 hours or so of single player content .

The pu is supposed to hit in 2016 at this point

star_citizen.jpg

this image was from pax east so its like 2 or 3 months old. I think if you push everything back 6 months its a good estimate of the time frame. They have infomatic or whatever doing the FPS which was a huge mistake and why they pushed it back with no date as to when it would be done. I bet that comes out in the fall at this point or late summer.

Hey they banned me from the forums cause I've be complaining for the last year about the ship bloat. I haven't put any money into the game since this time last year and that was $50 bucks.
Ok, consider yourself forgiven ;)
Their forums, from the few visits I did, seem pretty bad. Every single criticism is overtaken by dogpiling from hordes of fanboys, claiming how everything is so great and accusing the perpetrator of "entitlement".
They're the very definition of a fan circlejerk.

The game probably has 6-8 months before it becomes the laughing stock of the Internet if they don't release something truly substantial or at least something that resembles a release date. Which is sad because it looks so awesome.
Actually, I've been wondering when the European Union and the FTC are going to drop the hammer on Kickstarter and other crowdfunding ventures over consumer protection issues.
The amount of deadlines being missed for years (e.g. Feminist Frequency, Tim Schaffer's Broken Age), blatant undercutting of their promises (e.g. Peter Molyneux's Godus) and people actually running away with the money (see Goblins: Alternate Realities), make these seemingly unaudited projects a dream come true for con artists and scammers. Even worse, Kickstarter itself seems to encourage this kind of behavior.

I don't see why the EU has to do anything about Kickstarter. If people are dumb enough to put money into something on faith that complete strangers will make their gaming wet dreams come true, I say let them.

I only buy early access games based on the state of the game when I buy it. 7 Days to Die for example is still in Alpha/Early Access but the game is tremendously fun and I've spent and will continue to spend dozens of hours with it.

I don't see why the EU has to do anything about Kickstarter. If people are dumb enough to put money into something on faith that complete strangers will make their gaming wet dreams come true, I say let them.

I don't see why the EU has to do anything about pyramid schemes. If people are dumb enough to put money into something on faith that they'll get rich, I say let them.
See what I did there?
You can use the "if people are dumb enough" argument to pretty much anything related to consumer protection, except for warranty enforcing.

I can cite dozens, perhaps even hundreds of examples where this is nothing near accurate. How much angst was spewed on this very forum for the PC version of GTAV? How short, exactly, is your memory anyway?
ok maybe Rock* wasn't a very good example, especially the PC version :) But the console release perhaps? My point is that it's very normal for publishers/devs to release very little information other than screenshots then some trailers for a game over the course of multi-year development. Oh and some twitter bullshit to build the hype engine.

ok maybe Rock* wasn't a very good example, especially the PC version :) But the console release perhaps? My point is that it's very normal for publishers/devs to release very little information other than screenshots then some trailers for a game over the course of multi-year development. Oh and some twitter bullshit to build the hype engine.

The only thing that comes even remotely close to how transparent they've been about the Star Citizen development efforts are MMOs. And even those are are generally far more secretive than this project has been in its first 2 years.

Meh, I just see a very large project taking a very normal amount of development time thus far. It's just that consumers have been far more exposed to the development progress than any other AAA game in the history of computer games. If it hits in 2016, then it's a 5 year development time, or about middle of a road from a brand new from the ground up title of this scale.

Either way, I'm not stressed. I kicked in money to the project before it even hit Kickstarter purely as a reward for Chris Roberts bringing Wing Commander into my life. Anything I get other than that is just pure gravy.

Hell, it's going to take Blizzard more than 10 years just to finish Starcraft 2 (from the start of development on SC2: WoL), and that's on a much smaller scale. Although the scale is quite massive for an RTS.

Regards,
SB

Back