Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

My question would be how much like egosoft x series is it?
Despite my love of space sims I could never get into that series.

A friend of mine is totally into this. I must say it's shaping up very nicely. Almost too involved for me, but I think it's going to be pretty awesome.

My question would be how much like egosoft x series is it?
Despite my love of space sims I could never get into that series.
I think it's too early to make those kind of comparisons, and I don't really follow it enough to know how much industrial/trade component is in the game. I know there's definitely trading, minig etc. but I don't believe you can end up with a conglomerate of facilities earning you money etc.

At this point I'm almost afraid to ask:
- Are there any plans (date, window, whatever) to make this game "gold"?

At this point I'm almost afraid to ask:
- Are there any plans (date, window, whatever) to make this game "gold"?
Which part of it? Star Citizen is the continually evolving persistent universe. I'm sure over time it will eventually be a "product" per se, much like Eve is a product.

Squadron 42 is the single player "Wing Commander" style experience that will be a full release packaged game.

The answer to both is no, there are no dates, windows etc for anything Star Citizen.

What about Squadron 42? Is there a release date for that?

SQ42 is going to be episodic , they hope to have the first set of missions out by the end of the year with more each quarter till the story wraps.

The PU or mmo part they are hoping to be out next year.

They will be well over 100m in funding perhaps at 115m by the time the PU is out.

Damn, I so can't wait.

Star Citizen is expected to have an install size well in excess of 100 GB. Woooot! That should lead to some absolutely fantastic detail within the game. Oh, and that's WITH asset compression.

I do feel for people that might have a data cap though, that's going to hurt.

Regards,
SB

I am starting to get annoyed at some of the ships I've pledged for during the kickstarter haven't been seen since.

I have a starfarer and there is no info about this aside from it going from a max 2 crew ship to a 7 crew ship

So you agree some delivery dates (or lack of thereof) are getting out of hand?

I'm not sure how anyone can complain that a game of this scope and size is taking 3+ years? Likely it's because we're been including in everything from the start rather than the normal process of behind-the-scenes development then a 6-month marketing push to release for normal titles.

I don't mind the time frame. What I mind and have complained about on their forums is that they have released tons of other ships since the kickstarter , many of them come out of no where and are hanger ready or even avalible in arena commander but some of the older ships they are radio silent on. For about 2 years we had no info on the starfarer , then we got a leaked pic or two of random walls of the ship on Sandy's facebook. Then radio silence until Ben said in a forum post that the ship now is 2 player flyable but optimal 7 person ship (instead of 2 max crew)

They can really suck with information and how they handle it. They tend to make choices they know will be unpopular with some and hide behind their diehard fan base for defense. There were a number of ships I bought because they were limited ships not to be sold again that have now been sold multiple times since.

I'm not sure how anyone can complain that a game of this scope and size is taking 3+ years?

The scope is exactly my complaint with the game. I don't give a crap about the scope this is getting. 2.5 years ago I paid $60 in advance to play this:

cM1VuxT.jpg

with these graphics:

fx7RiSZ.jpg

That's all. A simple game of a genre I love and had been disappearing during that time. I want a friggin' space combat simulator with a plot, which is something I haven't had since what, Freespace 2?

Instead, the company making the game is steadily turning it into an EVE Online MMO clone with an ever-growing bubble of investment in (pay-to-win-ish) virtual spaceships, monthly subscriptions and no exact release dates for anything relevant.
No, I don't want to beta-test their dogfighting module. No, I don't want to beta-test their FPS module. No, I don't want to beta-test their mining module. No, I don't want to beta-test their go-to-a-virtual-toilet-in-a-spacecraft module.
I paid for (eventually) a final game, I want a final game. If I wanted to help them make their game, I would've given them less money or I wouldn't have offered them any money at all.

Isn't Squadron 42 first part out sometime this year? That's basically what you're asking for, the single player story?

Back