Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

The scope is exactly my complaint with the game. I don't give a crap about the scope this is getting. 2.5 years ago I paid $60 in advance to play this:

So you basically want the scope of a single player COD game in space? Because that's a 2 year development cycle without the need to build the engine and framework of the game. And that's basically a corridor shooter. Star Citizen may have started with UE3 CE3, but they also modified the engine as well as putting in place systems within which the game must operate.

I'm sorry if I would like a lot more than that. When games with decent length typically have 4+ year development cycles, I have no problems with them taking their time. And that's for games with far far less content and scope than this one. Add in the open world nature of this, and I absolutely have no problems waiting. When it finally is released, if the content only takes me 6-10 hours to finish, then I'll start complaining.

If you can't stand typical development cycle times, perhaps you're better off waiting until games are finished rather than jumping in when they first start development or even in the middle of development.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Isn't Squadron 42 first part out sometime this year? That's basically what you're asking for, the single player story?
Its supposed to be fall but I wouldn't really expect it until qtr 1 of 2016 with the way they delay stuff.

The scope is exactly my complaint with the game. I don't give a crap about the scope this is getting. 2.5 years ago I paid $60 in advance to play this:

cM1VuxT.jpg

with these graphics:

fx7RiSZ.jpg

That's all. A simple game of a genre I love and had been disappearing during that time. I want a friggin' space combat simulator with a plot, which is something I haven't had since what, Freespace 2?

Instead, the company making the game is steadily turning it into an EVE Online MMO clone with an ever-growing bubble of investment in (pay-to-win-ish) virtual spaceships, monthly subscriptions and no exact release dates for anything relevant.
No, I don't want to beta-test their dogfighting module. No, I don't want to beta-test their FPS module. No, I don't want to beta-test their mining module. No, I don't want to beta-test their go-to-a-virtual-toilet-in-a-spacecraft module.
I paid for (eventually) a final game, I want a final game. If I wanted to help them make their game, I would've given them less money or I wouldn't have offered them any money at all.

If that's all you want then download and play the arena commander module , it allows you to dog fight and is a lot of fun even though I suck at it.

There is a lot I can complain about with the direction of the game but they said from the beginning that there would be dog fighting , capital ship raids and large orgs duking it out with everything from a single seat fighter up to capital ships. Infact the Idris was first offered at the end of kick starter. They also had talked about mining in kick starter and also raiding ships with fps portions.

I will complain about the fps portion seemingly much further along than other parts and I would also complain about them having pets as a stretch goal.

I really wanna be able to play the big open world game with just myself and maybe a couple friends when they're on. Definitely not interested in an MMO experience.

If that's all you want then download and play the arena commander module , it allows you to dog fight and is a lot of fun even though I suck at it.
No I think he said he wants a modern Freespace / Wing Commander not a little arena dogfight mode. Squadron 42 is supposed to be just that. Hopefully it is somewhat fleshed out with story and Wing Commander-like gameplay. Epic space drama with space combat. Frankly that's all I really want out of this game too.

Star Citizen is transforming into Robert's initial vision for Freelancer. He couldn't get Microsoft to fund his lofty goals back then. I wonder if all the money being pumped in from idealistic dreamers with teh faith produces anything good in the "end". If they ever finished it.

Last edited:
Well, it's something that is currently already drawing in some fans. Friend of mine built a three screen, two joystick and foot pedals cockpit setup for it, and I think he even got it on a deal that included it with some graphics card? So in a sense it is already out, but the way they are making it, a bit like Eve/Warcraft/etc, it will of course never be finished.

Wow that's looking really aged now. Is (soon to be was?) the best co-op space experience ever though. Closely followed by XvT

Wow that's looking really aged now
thats not the original game from 1999 its the opensource version
added
opengl renderer
hardware tnl support
high poly models
high resolution textures
normal mapping
specular mapping
alpha environment mapping
glow mapping
new ai
specular highlights
widescreen support
multiple resolutions (retail only supports 3)
changeable fov
compressed texture (dds) support
support for vertex buffer objects
text to speech (for campaigns that have no voice acting)
support for cockpits
and lots more.....

That's a great start but obviously needs a lot of work. Any indication of damage or pieces flying anywhere happens far too quickly. I'm wondering if the PC's involved were a factor as well, we should see more of these coming.

Multi crew stuff wont hit till summer and I'm really expecting a delay till the fall. So they have a lot of time to work on it

sitting in the back of a cutlass while in a fire fight
I mean, its neat in theory & maybe a couple of times.
But why would you ever actually do that.

'oh man this is cool' ...sitting there doing absolutely nothing for a couple of mins while other guys do stuff ain't my idea of cool/fun.

I mean, its neat in theory & maybe a couple of times.
But why would you ever actually do that.

'oh man this is cool' ...sitting there doing absolutely nothing for a couple of mins while other guys do stuff ain't my idea of cool/fun.

Well the cutlass can have prisoners and it can also be set up as a medical ship.

SO picture this. You and friend's are going to raid a mining platform so you roll up in some ships. Since their is some FPS going down you guys bring a cutlass kitted out as an ambulance. Your going to want an ambulance because body damage if not healed quickly is permanent. So most likely you rode into fire fight in the redeemer with a few of your friends. So the whole way down while the rest of your ORG is taking out defences your in the drop ship with stuff blowing up all around you , ships and turrents shooting your ship and so on. You land , have a crazy fire fight inside the mining platform. Perhaps your leg gets highly damaged and one of your friends drags you b ack to escape and they load you up on a cutlass red medical ship. inside the ship your on a table getting fixed up and all of the sudden the ORG that owned that Mining platform regrouped and is now chasing you out of the sector with a bunch of ships. So your there getting healed with your ORG's ships getting attacked. Maybe you escape , maybe they take out your engines and then try to board you. Then your half healed having a fire fight in a cutless .

Or hey maybe you make it out of the FPS fine and instead of a cutlass you jump into a friends freelancer and now your inside a turret trying to shoot ships out of space while getting attacked.

I dunno there are a lot of ways to have fun. My only though is what y ou do between those events but of course that's what the single pilot ships are for.

Back