Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

The current footage being shown is impressive. But ultimately just reminds me that this game was announced 2 generations ago. Feature creep and bloat is a hell of a thing, definitely shouldn't be normalized
Giving Chris Roberts hundreds of millions of dollars with no oversight was always going to be a disaster.

Like, him being incapable of reigning in the scope of his games to be manageable was literally what he was known for. The amount of money that people have willingly given and continue to give this project just shows me how incredibly naive and exploitable people are.

Perhaps we should have 1 or 2 criticize SC template posts that people can choose from and post each month. It will save time having to type the same thing out each time.

Perhaps we should have 1 or 2 criticize SC template posts that people can choose from and post each month. It will save time having to type the same thing out each time.
I don't really see why anyone would care about how many times the games developers are critisized considering it's still not out and has no real time table for being out either after more than 10 years

No other game in that situation would escape the same treatment

I don't really see why anyone would care about how many times the games developers are critisized considering it's still not out and has no real time table for being out either after more than 10 years

No other game in that situation would escape the same treatment
This is so lazy. You can play it now if you want to. You can claim that it is not "complete", but it will never be complete (like any SW).

This is so lazy. You can play it now if you want to. You can claim that it is not "complete", but it will never be complete (like any SW).
im waiting for the single player, because i loved freelancer, but im pretty sure you cant play it yet

Since no SW (software? either way irrelevant, fill in the blank with whatever you fancy) can be complete, it is safe to assume that "claiming" it is not, is absurd and invalid criticism. ;)

Love it!
It's like art, the whole family has pitched in and commissioned them upfront for a portrait of your, then alive and kicking, now deceased, great grandmother, and they have delivered a squiggly line!
This thing is the comedy gift that keeps on giving. :yes:

Just a thought.
This would rock for Star Citizen
View attachment 8285

Star Citizen is very suitable for a wide range of peripherals. Some manufacturers like Virpil have launched new devices especially for Star Citizen.

The ideal setup for Star Citizen is a dual joystick in combination with a device that has many buttons.

I haven't tested it, but for the left stick I find something like that interesting. It creates a podracer atmosphere.

This user here also has some buttons to access

Last edited:
Version 3.18 is out: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18846-Alpha-318-Lasting-Legacies
It took half a year to get to 3.18 but the patch got much bigger than originally planned.

The most important elements of this patch are persistence of objects/wrecks, salvage, a new cargo system and race tracks.
Persistence makes the universe seem much more alive whereas the old 3.17 seems rather dead next to it.
The new cargo system allows you to steal cargo from other spaceships. Enemy ships can also be disabled and boarded. Before they always exploded.
They also have their new renderer ready in this patch. Next step will be Vulkan and then optimisations and graphics improvements.

The next big goal will be to have linked servers for fixed objects such as planets, moon, space stations etc. The final stage would be to create dynamic servers depending on the server load in the environment. According to CIG they aim to have tens of thousands of players in one shared universe at the same time.

Salvage space ship

EMP ship

The video above is the continuation of this event

Last edited:
That is a separate game called Squadron 42. It will be released together with Winds of Winter.
yea, I'm in the same boat. When I paid for the kickstarter, I was convinced I was getting Squadron 42, then I could play Star Citizen afterwards. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen.

It's a huge step and 3.18 is going better by the day. It was already working before in the testversion but releasing it to the live version with much more players is another situation.

If they link the servers in the future there will be problems too. The good thing is that it's live because with many players they can test it best.

Yup, a very rough start with this update.

I'm sure there is more interesting times ahead. (In both good and bad.)

It's almost like persistent, massively multiplayer, immersive sim with open worlds and spaceships is not easy to do.

Good job they had a coherent plan for building one before they asked people for money. :unsure:
Those pesky additional goals certainly didn't do them favors.
Walkable procedural planets and everything that means, set them backwards years.

It does give a lot of interesting possibilities, but it must be a lot harder than the original plan. (Points of interests on planets and skipping atmosphere.)

Back