Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Working on a project where there is no deadline, vision, priority and everything is constantly rewritten is not going to give you good habits.

Working on a project where there is no deadline, vision, priority and everything is constantly rewritten is not going to give you good habits.
You will probably learn loads more than in a less expansive project though...

Plenty of job security however with a seemingly endless budget
It's endless as long as people continue to give this project money. Once they stop, that bubble will burst.
There doesn't seem to be any sign of it now though, folks seem happy to spend real money on ships even though, from what I've read, they're often quickly surpassed by some new ship for sale.

It's endless as long as people continue to give this project money. Once they stop, that bubble will burst.
There doesn't seem to be any sign of it now though, folks seem happy to spend real money on ships even though, from what I've read, they're often quickly surpassed by some new ship for sale.
We are in the 11th year of the project and this is the highest funded year so far I believe. It looks like in may alone they raised 19.1m and the lowest month this year was Feb and they still hit 4m

You can see here that 2019 was a break out year for them. they went from 37m to 47m but 2020 brought them to 78m and then 86m for 2021 and finally 113m in 2022.

Of course if this is true

And they have broken 1,000 staff members who knows how much money they actually have. They'd be burning through close to a 100m a year at this point no just staff. Obviously there weren't this many people for the past 11 years but still its a lot of staff now , even the 700 in 2020 is a lot.

I really don't get how they don't have a finished game yet

I believe they will continue to get plenty of crowd funding beyond 2030.
A lot of the old timers like me have stopped putting new money in. There are only so many ships a person needs and a lot of what is coming out now are just different looking versions of fighters or exploration ships. Many people either "melt" their old ships and use that money for the new one or simply hold on to the old ones.

I am not sure exactly how many new gamers are entering anymore. I am not sure if this will sustain another 6/7 years without any product to show for it.
Because they're not making A game, they're making a lot of game bits over and over again.
You are right on that , they should have kept the game episodic and started releasing it years ago

Release what?
The online segment is what it is.
Is there any indication that there actually is a single player game, besides some marketing prerendered (in engine) cutscenes?
I remember there being a gameplay (more like a vertical slice of a vertical slice) video with Mark Hamil a few years ago...
Their track record has me questioning everything.
Perhaps they did release some new info lately and I missed it.

Release what?
The online segment is what it is.
Is there any indication that there actually is a single player game, besides some marketing prerendered (in engine) cutscenes?
I remember there being a gameplay (more like a vertical slice of a vertical slice) video with Mark Hamil a few years ago...
Their track record has me questioning everything.
Perhaps they did release some new info lately and I missed it.
they put out a monthly email about the status of SQ42 which is the single player game. Thy also had a video since taken down for it that said finish the fight 2016. Game keeps getting delayed and they keep getting more cagey about it. But remember the main part of kickstarter was the single player game with the pu being secondary

Looks like there is a lot of drama regarding PTU early access.

So if my understanding is right

you can either have 25k+ invested in the game or pay $10 for a subscription. I wonder if money is starting to run dry at this point. 11 years in and still now SQ42 or released PU

I guess there is some pride to be had for paying to alpha test a game that might never come out...
Or perhaps, disposable income, to the point where, a few thousand dollars have no value whatsoever.
Those backers, are some of the people that will moan over pre-orders and microtransactions...
They will scream bloody murder on CDPR about Cyberpunk.
Or just casually bring it up, as a example of a failed, (although at least feature complete, ironically enough) game.
Yet, when it comes to this thing, you'd think they permanently turn their brain switch to the off position.

And if you try to debate them, it is clear they are too far gone...
They can't even agree on the development time of the game since it was announced.
I shit you not. Some will say the game is being developed for 6 or 7 years and then proceed to explain to you that most great games take even more...
Most of the hardcore ones, cannot even commit to a hypothetical amount of years it would take for them to consider the game vaporware.
Does 10 more sound good? No.
30? I don't know...
How about in your death bed?
Reminds me of those crazy Trump supporters who, when asked, "what would it take for you to renounce Trump, what could he do, (hypothetically) that could make you loose trust?"
They would answer with, "I can't think of anything".

It must take a stomach made of steel to sell such dreams in such a dishonest way...

Back