Square Enix Confirms FFXIII SERIES (!) Is Not Exclusive for PS3 *Read post #12

Damn, it would be sweet to play ff6 & ff8 in White Engine :) [or UT3]
I find no such "new business model" announcement on Square-Enix website. All articles without a source link should not be trusted.

As for portability, Square-Enix is such a miser who can't port FF11 to PS3 because it's not DirectX.

I find no such "new business model" announcement on Square-Enix website. All articles without a source link should not be trusted.

Same here. At least I'd have expected some coverage from Famitsu & Co., but zero there as well.

I can see this happening, DQ4 to DQ8 port/remake for Wii. Maybe FF7 to FF9 remake for Wii. I think a remake on 360 and PS3 is just financial suicide for SE.

I think SE is actually playing it pretty smart in some regards. When I've looked at sales data I am amazed to see how quickly FF or DQ hits over a million in the launch weekend or in the launch week in Japan. However in the U.S. sales aren't as quick or high grossing. I'm not going to pretend to know the reasons for this distinct separation in the sales data. Looking at their actions SE targets where they are the strongest with a "traditional" formula that works. Whether this is "right" or not who is to say. SE has shown that they take the western market seriously by promoting J.Y. who was over Europe to the U.S. The western market is a lucrative market depending on what genre you're releasing. The way I would think about releasing a title for a console is to see who other games in the genre have sold or are selling and then see what has sold well on the console consistently.

Obviously they are miscalculating the returns.
Probably. But if the cost to port really was that cheap, why not do it? There must be a down side to porting to XB360, either in sales or final product quality. Or something. The lack of a port to me says it's not as easy as some suspect to port the game.

You can't just rewrite engine code that uses 6 SPE's efficiently to run on XB360. You could need a grass-roots redesign on how to implement the different features, depending on what the SPE's are doing. IF they're just handling triangle setup etc. which Xenos can handle, a port isn't such a big deal. If they're doing something very fancy, a straight port of the code isn't an option. Then if the art assets have been optimized for a particular way of doing things on PS3, they'd need to be restructed again. Finally if the port isn't as polished as the original, as often happens with ports, SE might be unwilling to release a lower quality product, especially of their flagship title. If the XB360 isn't of the same quality as the PS3 version, a release likely wouldn't happen. And without knowing the ins and outs of the White Engine and it's implementation, we can't safely say a port of the engine is cheap and effective. Obviously SE have decided the cost to port isn't worth the returns. Either the costs are low but they rate the market as negligable, or the costs are significant and they don't feel the XB360 market viable to cover those costs. I think the latter is perhaps more accurate, especially seeing as SE have bought in UE3.

I've read from several devs that porting from PS3 to 360 is a lot easier than vice versa. It may not be as hard as you think.

I've read from several devs that porting from PS3 to 360 is a lot easier than vice versa. It may not be as hard as you think.

That is because in 360 you don't have to take care about which memory pool your gfx/game data lies in, and how large your code chunks are because you got a unified architecture. So you can take everything in this regard from PS3 and put it straight into the 360.

This however is not related to the abilities of each system. The point is, if the PS3's higher bandwidth (between CPU/RSX) and processing capabilites (SPEs) are used to its strengths it will be nearly impossible to port a game without leaving serious feathers on 360.

That is because in 360 you don't have to take care about which memory pool your gfx/game data lies in, and how large your code chunks are because you got a unified architecture. So you can take everything in this regard from PS3 and put it straight into the 360.

This however is not related to the abilities of each system. The point is, if the PS3's higher bandwidth (between CPU/RSX) and processing capabilites (SPEs) are used to its strengths it will be nearly impossible to port a game without leaving serious feathers on 360.

That is the theory. There has been no evidence of this to date however, where there is for ports other way.

They spoke about multiplatform game not an exclusive PS3 title created with PS3 strengh (CELL and HD + BD for streaming).

They spoke about multiplatform game not an exclusive PS3 title created with PS3 strengh.
Yes. If creating a multiplatform game, design for PS3 first and then fit it to XB360, and that's much easier than vice versa. But custom, platform specific engines that are pushing a system are going to be hard and costly to reimplement on different platforms.

Probably. But if the cost to port really was that cheap, why not do it? There must be a down side to porting to XB360, either in sales or final product quality. Or something. The lack of a port to me says it's not as easy as some suspect to port the game.

We've already heard Sony state that exclusivity is under discussion. That means at least two things, compensation of some kind is an issue and a port is a possibility. Knowing that I find it hard to believe that someone would suspect that there a porting issue with FVXIII because it hasn't been announced as multiplatform yet.

There's always a porting issue! The issue is one of costs and expected profits. Whether SE think it's worth the hassle or not. Porting isn't impossible, but porting of custom engines can be a big deal and not a cheap and easy job.

There's always a porting issue! The issue is one of costs and expected profits. Whether SE think it's worth the hassle or not. Porting isn't impossible, but porting of custom engines can be a big deal and not a cheap and easy job.

Profit off a FFXIII 360 port is a gimme if there ever was one. I recall no AAA titles that sold like hotcakes for one system that was an utter failure when ported to another platform with at least a near or equal userbase. The fact that exclusivity is under discussion means SE is looking for compensation to keep from porting. Just because porting a custom engine may be a big deal there is no evidence to think thats the cause of FFXIII lack of multiplatform at this time.

I don't see why it would need to be 'easy', the potential sales are definately there to justify a port, even if it takes alot of resources. I can understand SE being cautious, but at the same time, I think it's very foolish.

Shifty, don't try to argue that the porting cost's may be to much. Porting a game is dirt cheap, like stated before, its more or less just a matter of a dozen programmers coding. If your game has a $20+ million budget like FF does, porting a game is pocket change in comparison.

Will it suffer in terms of quality? Yes.

It being easy or not to port the game has little do to with it, no matter how you twist and turn it, it would be vastly cheaper than making a new game. There really is no real business explanation as to why not port a game thats already selling very well, but some developers still choose not to do it. Thats probably more about pride or other reasons (like a exclusivity contract)

Back