Splinter Cell 4 Screens.

dukmahsik said:
new pics???

sc4-1.jpg

sc4-2.jpg
Not new, saw them in some magazine.

First looks pretty good, second looks current-gen? I'm guessing they're both current-gen.

What engine did they use for Chaos theory on GCN and PS2 if not the...Chaos Theory engine :?: Or do you mean they'll develop a new one for those two but still use the same engine for Xbox, pixelbox?

Hardknock said:
You're kidding right?

561532_20040226_screen045.jpg

:p

it lacks inspiration... a guy in a fugly suit.

remember that some ppl here actually draw (artists. me included). What looks good to you, for us is just a rushed design made for a pseudo-super hero.

When we see a good design, it makes you wanna go to the drawing board (inspiration).
Ninja gaiden makes me put the pencil down and go watch some B-class movie on TV

..like many many many games out there

Last edited by a moderator:
dskneo said:
it lacks inspiration... a guy in a fugly suit.

remember that some ppl here actually draw (artists. me included). What looks good to you, for us is just a rushed design made for a pseudo-super hero.

When we see a good design, it makes you wanna go to the drawing board (inspiration).
Ninja gaiden makes me put the pencil down and go watch some B-class movie on TV

..like many many many games out there

I love that design, but it's your opinion and I can respect that. Now I'm curious of what you think of his alternate costume?

928401_20050518_screen013.jpg

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
...is far worse.

I actually like his default get up... but that one is just HORRENDOUS. All his outfits in DOA4 are also quite fugly, barring the default one (they're just recycled from the NG game anyway, aside from his second one).

I think the problem has more to do with the skin shaders and just general shiny specular on everything (the clothes are stupidly shiny). It looks distinct, but I wouldn't call it awesome, especially when he could do so much more with the hardware. It looks patently plastic. But, it's all personal preference and in one sense I'm actually glad hes going against the grain and keeping his distinct style, even if I think it looks bad... it adds some variety to the mix.

DOA3 was one of the most impressive looking games last gen... DOA4 is probably the least impressive next gen thing I've seen/played (even my DOA loving friends think it's cock).

A lot of friends that never played DOA3 or DOA:U think it looks amazing aswell. I think the problem is Team Ninja was so far ahead graphically last gen and their character models were so good for last gen, it's hard for people that have played the previous games to see a difference. But if you grade the game on it's own merits DOA4 looks astounding graphically.

BTW I think we've highjacked the thread enough. Probably need to get back on Splinter Cell :p

Bobbler said:
I think the problem has more to do with the skin shaders and just general shiny specular on everything (the clothes are stupidly shiny).

Well, I just figured a lot of the materials were hard rubber or leather, hence the shiny look. :p The cloth materials weren't shiny.

Hardknock said:
A lot of friends that never played DOA3 or DOA:U think it looks amazing aswell. I think the problem is Team Ninja was so far ahead graphically last gen and their character models were so good for last gen, it's hard for people that have played the previous games to see a difference.

Ding, ding, ding! That's the smartest remark I've ever heard about DOA:4. I've never even thought about that. DOA:3 and Ultimate was ahead of its time.

But for the record I think those new SC: DA screens are real-time.

Hardknock said:
A lot of friends that never played DOA3 or DOA:U think it looks amazing aswell. I think the problem is Team Ninja was so far ahead graphically last gen and their character models were so good for last gen, it's hard for people that have played the previous games to see a difference. But if you grade the game on it's own merits DOA4 looks astounding graphically.

BTW I think we've highjacked the thread enough. Probably need to get back on Splinter Cell :p

I wouldn't say that. The DOA3 models were well done for the time (poly counts and textures were very good for the hardware), but not necessarily "ahead of their time" -- it's more like that the DOA4 models are severely behind the times. The character models are rather unimpressive for just having 2 of them on screen at once -- I'd be interested to see the poly counts on them... the poly counts didn't seemvery high for being a 05/06 title given the target hardware. Differing opinions, I guess. I suppose we'll see what happens when other fighters come out...

But yea, this thread has sort of trailed off topic, so I'll leave it at that.

Alstrong said:
What engine did they use for Chaos theory on GCN and PS2 if not the...Chaos Theory engine :?: Or do you mean they'll develop a new one for those two but still use the same engine for Xbox, pixelbox?
Splinter cell: Choas theory for the ps2 and gc used the same engine from the first Splinter cell ps2 port. NGC version was a port from the ps2 version.

Bobbler said:
I wouldn't say that. The DOA3 models were well done for the time (poly counts and textures were very good for the hardware), but not necessarily "ahead of their time" -- it's more like that the DOA4 models are severely behind the times. The character models are rather unimpressive for just having 2 of them on screen at once -- I'd be interested to see the poly counts on them... the poly counts didn't seemvery high for being a 05/06 title given the target hardware. Differing opinions, I guess. I suppose we'll see what happens when other fighters come out...

But yea, this thread has sort of trailed off topic, so I'll leave it at that.

IAWTP. Team ninja games have no lighting engine. They get a pass for last gen efforts but next gen i expect more, DOA4 is a failure in a sense. I guess they can do better with more time...

Back