*spin-off* Ryse Trade-Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Scott for not being combative... :smile:

Lets say hypothetically that the 32MB ESRAM is hampering rendering speed... not that the XB1 can't do 1080p, but with certain games that use a lot of large memory intensive operations and large render assets... could that effect Ryse's current state? Better yet, is there a way around from using the ESRAM?

Without knowing what they're doing in terms of render targets, how many and at what quality, I'm not really sure what you'd be able to talk about. We'll most likely have to wait for a Crytek talk, or a technical interview, to get any insight. That stuff is beyond my scope, but there's a small few here that could probably comment when that information is available. I suppose some people that are informed about Cryengine might be able to hazard some guesses, but I think only time will tell.

Without knowing what they're doing in terms of render targets, how many and at what quality, I'm not really sure what you'd be able to talk about. We'll most likely have to wait for a Crytek talk, or a technical interview, to get any insight. That stuff is beyond my scope, but there's a small few here that could probably comment when that information is available. I suppose some people that are informed about Cryengine might be able to hazard some guesses, but I think only time will tell.

ESRAM shouldnt be an issue. Going with g-buffers from Crysis 3 presentation, for 1080p its:
G-Buffers are 3x 8mb buffers
Deferred buffers - 2x 8mb buffers (2x R11G11B10F)
Final Buffer - 16mb buffer (R16G16B16A16F)
http://crytek.com/download/Sousa_Tiago_Rendering_Technologies_of_Crysis3.pptx

So they swap everyone of them easily within ESRAM.

Can we really take launch titles running with new hardware, and if edge are to be believed not complete dev tools (software), as the measure of these new consoles?? I think it is obvious that KI is 720p because of the ridiculously short dev cycle... 6 characters at launch speaks volumes as well.

For me ryse looks great and is a day one buy.

Personally, with launch games looking as good as ryse, forza, kz etc. Things will only get better.

Oh, first post so lube up before please! ;-)

Also, I would just like to say that after being a long time lurker, it is nice to see a decent forum that is not drowning in fanboys...Impressive

There is a proof that Ryse was running on real Xbox One hardware at E3, not on PC, DigitalFoundry said that, the games running on PC were Crimson Dragon, Lococycle and Dead Rising 3.
Every game at E3 was running on a dev kit for both brands, MS's devkits are historically more powerful than actual hardware. Having an Xbox One shell above a locked cabinet where all the wires went is not an indication it was running on actual hardware like most people who bring this up seem to believe.

If I made a shell and put it on my desk, would my games be running on Xbox One too?

console fans have some kind of obsession now with 1080p/60,when most of their games didn't meet the 720p target or even the steady 30fps target..now they use it to claim ownage or superiority over the other console.

console fans have some kind of obsession now with 1080p/60,when most of their games didn't meet the 720p target or even the steady 30fps target..now they use it to claim ownage or superiority over the other console.

So far next gen is looking to me like it's going to fall further short of the 1080P target than last gen did of 720P.

Which probably makes sense. 900P is around 1.5m pxels, 1080 ~2m, and 720~1m. It'll be a diminishing returns scenario especially for fairly lightweight next gen consoles that need to conserve every ounce of power they have.

I wouldn't be surprised if the norm is closer to 1.5m pixels than 2m. Time will tell I guess.

The thing is 900P as your fallback is just massively better, like 2X, as say a 600P fallback in last gen.

I'll consider 1080p relevant when developers consider it relevant. There is a reason why the vast majority of console games aren't 1080p and an appreciable portion is sub 720p.

Resolution in and of itself means jack s%*^.

Hey guys here is what im thinking happened with ryse going 900p
Ok crytek has spent alot of time redoing the combat system and appearance.
Now they have 2 months to finish the game and produce millions of blu rays and have them on the shelf day one.
Now they have said ryse was native 1080p and confirmed it 3 days ago then we get an update that it is 900p yesterday. Ok with crytek low on time if they keep the game at 1080p they would have to go through every level in the game and find the framerate dips determine the cause and find a solution. You know optimize.
Now wouldnt they save alot of time with this by dropping the resolution to 900p therefore fixing 85% of the framerate issues and only having to optimize the 15% left over.

Thats just my opinion and it makes more sense since they have changed the official resolution this late in the game.

Another thing is if you look at the pdfs crytek released about ryse they are pushing more polygons than any othernextgen game. 150000 for main character and npcs

Umm, what?

What next gen multiplats are running at what resolutions and where can i find this published info?

And quick dirty math tells me 1080P is ~44% more pixels than 900P, not 69.44%

I stand corrected. 900p has 69,44% of the pixels present at 1080p.

Hey guys here is what im thinking happened with ryse going 900p
Ok crytek has spent alot of time redoing the combat system and appearance.
Now they have 2 months to finish the game and produce millions of blu rays and have them on the shelf day one.
Now they have said ryse was native 1080p and confirmed it 3 days ago then we get an update that it is 900p yesterday. Ok with crytek low on time if they keep the game at 1080p they would have to go through every level in the game and find the framerate dips determine the cause and find a solution. You know optimize.
Now wouldnt they save alot of time with this by dropping the resolution to 900p therefore fixing 85% of the framerate issues and only having to optimize the 15% left over.

Thats just my opinion and it makes more sense since they have changed the official resolution this late in the game.

Another thing is if you look at the pdfs crytek released about ryse they are pushing more polygons than any othernextgen game. 150000 for main character and npcs

Then there is a question of the performance of the dev kits and tools. If I were trying to make a launch date, I wouldn't accommodate the ever improving drivers, tools and hardware by unnecessarily revisiting work I've already done. Thats redundant and might impede one's ability to hit the ultimate goal of being available at launch.

*ahem* let's not go digging up old topics that have their own threads and try to keep on topic in at least this thread. Or should I just close it now?

That's a pretty good TV resolution if there's adequate AA. It's pointless to waste pixels when most play the game on ~40" TVs at distance. Use those resources for smoother motion and better effects, something we can more readily discern.

The Dev kits had Nvidia GTX7xx cards. I am quite surprised that the game is even running at 900p considering the performance delta between the devkit and the final (or near final) hardware.

The game looks very nice regardless.

though I rather have 720p 60hz like the new "Killer Instinct One" game for Ryse.
There is no shame in 720p, as long as the framerate is good.

I don't think they are pure console gamers. Because of such long generation, they have bought somewhat decent PC in past few years and thus now they see what the difference 1080p/60fps makes against typical console resolution and framerate.

For us "PC only" gamers this sub 1080p is weird fragment of the past and it's bizarre that it's even option for next gen games. We're moving towards 4k in few years time. But I'm kinda happy that consoles chose to go sub 1080p. It means more graphical eye candy for PC ports and we can reap the benefits while still enjoying nice resolution and framerate

The Dev kits had Nvidia GTX7xx cards. I am quite surprised that the game is even running at 900p considering the performance delta between the devkit and the final (or near final) hardware.

The game looks very nice regardless.

though I rather have 720p 60hz like the new "Killer Instinct One" game for Ryse.
There is no shame in 720p, as long as the framerate is good.
But devkits would run the games at "console spec", emulating console hardware. That's the idea, no? Hence slowdown in early demos on that dev hardware.

Most actually did meet 720p or better.

Finally got to look at those screenshots (((interference))) linked(thanks man) to see what the hubbub was all about. And wow, I could hardly tell the difference between the two. In a blind test on 2 big TVs next to each other I wouldn't care or know which was which. If that's the only difference between the 2 systems then fine with me. But for those complaining about a drop of resolution(180p no-less) then your fucking crazy. I understand this forum likes to pride itself being technical, but complaining about this just screams you've run out of things to complain about. I'll agree with dobwal, screen resolution by itself means shit. Maybe if was 1080p vs 720p or 60fps vs 30fps, but by itself resolution means nothing. Personally I'd like to see a raise of hands from those that are complaining whether or not they were buying the system. Just seems like it's another opportunity for those to speak negative about the Xbox One. I wished those guys would find another hobby & another site. Anyway, I think the thread should be closed until we have the game(s) in our hands. All this speculation will just end in childish fanboy chatter from both camps.

Tommy McClain

For us "PC only" gamers this sub 1080p is weird fragment of the past and it's bizarre that it's even option for next gen games. We're moving towards 4k in few years time. But I'm kinda happy that consoles chose to go sub 1080p. It means more graphical eye candy for PC ports and we can reap the benefits while still enjoying nice resolution and framerate

No-one cares about you and your PC.

Consoles haven't chosen to go sub 1080p. Developers have chosen to go "sub 1080p" because they know more about graphics than you do.

I wonder if its the cpu. The new atom seems faster ipc wise than jaguar and an i7 dual core 1.9ghz is almost 4 times faster in some tests than a 4 core jaguar at 1.5ghz .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back