Sorcery

Yeah, I bought it and a Nav controller a couple of months ago, but never got more than an hour or so into it. It's competent, but there is not much to it beyond using the Move controller like it was a badminton racket to put "spin" on the course of the bolts you fire.

It might get better later on, but it was pretty juvenile, and didn't hold my interest.

Give me a Demon's Souls / Dark Souls that uses Move for sword fighting and you'll have a quick sale, though.

Utterly Fantastic idea!!!

It's perfect too because the lock-on system mitigates the pointer-look problem with the control system, as you can use pointer-look for navigation and full 1:1 motion swinging once locked on to an opponent

I personally think that almost any game type could work great with Move, preferably two Move controllers, but the nav + Move setup should usually work fine as well (and is much easier to set up to work similar to a dual analog setup).

But yeah, if Skyrim had these types of controls, I'd be all over it. ;) In that respect I am jealous of Nintendo at least going for this in Zelda, although Killzone 3 and LBP2 are appreciated. But give me a big, serious RPG with real time sword fighting, magic and arrow shooting with Move, and I'll gladly pay serious money.

I think the closest we can expect to get (but not really) apart from Sorcery is Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 on Playstation 3?

*sigh*

Really hope it is a core part of the next-gen experience and comes with something cool like the Move out of the box.

I'm not sure Dark Souls would work well with Move. The weapons have weight affected by the avatar's strength, which would be hard to communicate with the player. You'd take a swing and the sword/poleaxe/hammer would swing at its own speed. Sorcery involves only a wand, so the issues of weapon momentum are mitigated.

There's that swordfighting Kickstarter looking at creating realistic swordfighting. I'll be very interested to see where they go and if they prove weighty virtual objects can be emulated in a natural, convincing fashion.

That's a good point. I think you could solve this kind of thing in various ways. For instance, you could have an outline of the weapon representing the actual movement of the player, and then the actual animation following that movement at the correct speed. During that time, you can remove the outline until the moment comes where the user can hit again. A method like this could also solve issues with swords colliding. You could make it so you have to move the sword back over the place of the collision before you control your actual sword again.

Showing where your virtual weapon is in relation to the game's character's is a good idea. You'd encourage the player to swing at the same speed and pretend they were shifting that weight around. Being able to communicate the weapon's physicality would be good for gameplay. When you wielded a short sword, for example, you could wave it around with impunity and see it track loyally, whereas switching to a heavy weapon the player would have to think about their movements more, which is more accurate.

That's a good point. I think you could solve this kind of thing in various ways. For instance, you could have an outline of the weapon representing the actual movement of the player, and then the actual animation following that movement at the correct speed. During that time, you can remove the outline until the moment comes where the user can hit again. A method like this could also solve issues with swords colliding. You could make it so you have to move the sword back over the place of the collision before you control your actual sword again.

That's just asking for outcries of "LAG" or "unresponsive controls" etc. from forum goers. :p

Regards,
SB

Silent_Buddha said:
That's just asking for outcries of "LAG" or "unresponsive controls" etc. from forum goers. :p

Regards,
SB

No, not with a visible outline of your actual movement and a clear statement of the rules (or start with a fast no lag weapon that does little damage). I think that kind of direct feedback on your input would solve precisely such issues.

No, not with a visible outline of your actual movement and a clear statement of the rules (or start with a fast no lag weapon that does little damage). I think that kind of direct feedback on your input would solve precisely such issues.

I agree you're correct, but the uninformed will still try to cry "LAG... TEH GAME IS A BROKEND!"

You'll probably even have some idiot reviewers crying the same things...

You know too many modern gamers have zero patience, and its a pity that they are often the most vocal ones.

Back