Sorcery

... not that it can do things you can't do on controller or mouse, but the things you do feel more natural and/or more involving.

Matter of opinion really. A really good game makes me stop thinking about the controller in my hands anyway. For me this only works if the controls are precise, quick and easy to pull off. In my head I'm already Boris Becker if the game manages to do that part well, and I really don't need the added burden of laggy motion controls to accomplish that. Any unnecessary movements on my part just remind me of the fact that I'm in fact not a godly tennis player, but merely someone flailing his arms around in front of the tv.

What makes it even worse are notoriously unreliable gesture-based controls. They didn't work in Lair, they didn't work in Move Heroes, they didn't work in just about any Wii game, and judging by the video they don't really seem to work in Sorcery all that well either. Took the guy three tries to unleash a simple whirlwind attack. More than enough for me to shelve a game like that.

To me this looks like a trailer designed to attract a different audience on top of the existing one. Everything we've heard to date has described a game with reasonably varied gameplay, mixing the spells and building bridges and stuff. Everyone following that is either interested already or not. So to appeal to those who thought Sorcery looked kiddie and who would rather play some shooter, this trailer was released to show them Sorcery is an action adventure. Maybe. Still, it'd be wrong to think this one, limited trailer shows the game has been massivelt dumbed down.

Deadmund's Quests have 7-8 actions and items for the users to use. I ended up using the throwing star and bow + arrow most of the time. One of the main reasons is because I couldn't get to some enemies; they are too far away or separated by terrain/level. I'm also forced to use ranged weapons because the game is on-rail. When Deadmund stops walking, I shoot. Fortunately, the levels here are pretty compact yet varied, so I spent my time fumbling in and out of villages, countryside and castles.

I suspect Sorcery will be similar but deeper (e.g., you can combine spells) and bigger (larger maps). However the trailer shows too much of the same gameplay over and over again. The wider space also makes me think I have to walk a lot since this is a free roaming game.

One thing I hope they improve from Deadmund's Quest is weapon switching. It's a hassle to switch between bow+arrow, shield and sword using gestures in the middle of a fight. The throwing star is great because there's no setup time and gesture. You flick your wrist to throw projectiles immediately; you revert to your sword automatically. Hopefully the navcon will allow fast weapon switching in Sorcery.

I think they should make the wand a versatile magic whip/sword + ranged strike weapon. If the action is seamless and powerful, the designer can throw all sorts of enemies and scenarios at us. If the action is weak, we need to spam the same action repeatedly to make the effect last. This is something Deadmund's Quest does rather well (powerful action). The Sorcery's trailer seems to tell me I need to spam-a-lot for the frozen spell to take effect. It looks tedious and tiring as a result.

I also hope the enemies are not as stationary as the ranged attack enemies in Deadmund's Quest. It kinda looks that way in the Sorcery trailer (even though it may or may not be true). I expect to be able to path-find to most enemies in Sorcery. I also expect them to hunt for me. Hopefully the level design is not always as monotonous as the open spaces in the trailer.

Deadmund's Quest also have pretty good (and varied !) boss fights. We enjoy them a lot. You have to do different things to disarm or take down some bosses in stages. From the Sorcery trailer, I can't discern much except for some dodge and shoot action. Hope to see more variety in this aspect.

I was also very impressed by the cinematic camera in Metal Gear Solid 4 during gameplay and cutscenes. Windwaker also has pretty interesting camera angle in the game. I hope Sorcery can show more depth here too.

EDIT:
They should give the chap "fast travel" (a broom ? short teleport ?) if the level is too open.

Matter of opinion really.
Course it is. Often movement is done poorly for my tastes, but clearly waggle has a lot of fans that dual-stick hasn't. And Warhawk's motion flight was a rare gorgeous example of otion control for me; very natural and intuitive in a way stick never could be. Sure, Sorcery could be made like a classic PS2 3D platform adventure, with the player spamming the fire button and shots auto targeting, but for anyone wanting to play a game where they wave a magic wand and have that sensation matched in game, Sorcery is looking very good. Unlike Kinect Harry Potter....

Course it is. Often movement is done poorly for my tastes, but clearly waggle has a lot of fans that dual-stick hasn't. And Warhawk's motion flight was a rare gorgeous example of otion control for me; very natural and intuitive in a way stick never could be. Sure, Sorcery could be made like a classic PS2 3D platform adventure, with the player spamming the fire button and shots auto targeting, but for anyone wanting to play a game where they wave a magic wand and have that sensation matched in game, Sorcery is looking very good. Unlike Kinect Harry Potter....

Ooooooooooooh... Ice cold Shifty ;-)

J.K. Rowling am cry

PlayStation Move Title, Sorcery, Casts Its Spell In May
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/07/playstation-move-title-sorcery-casts-its-spell-in-may/

Remember PlayStation Move title, Sorcery? Sony debuted it two years ago at E3 2010, and had you using the Move controller like a magic wand. The game reappeared in December with a graphical overhaul, scheduled for a spring 2012 release.

While Sorcery won’t make that spring release, it hasn’t been delayed long. Sony announced today that the game is slated for release on May 22nd in North America, along with a few screenshots and a summary of the story.

With the way Sony have handled the marketing for this game, i'm getting the distinct feeling that they don't at all believe in it and are sending it out to die.

Seriously, we heard nothing of it for ages. They then showed a not very impressive reveal video, and now they're pushing it out the door for a May release.

No hype, no build up, no marketing push... Seems like something didn't work out as planned.

The waggle of the shooting is quite disconcerting. I appreciate it doesn't have to be played that way, and you could be more deiberate in your movements, but the game supporting mindless waggle is going render the experience pretty shallow. Waving a controller is no different to dumb button mashing.

I'll add that the solution would be to have the wand fail to shoot if moved too frequently, so the player has to wait and take each shot more carefully, destroying the simple waggle mechanic and turning it into a proper wand.

They need to show melee and puzzle solving in this game. ^_^

Environment looks nice though. So far, I think Deadmund's Quest may have more charm despite a smaller game, and weaker art direction.

I am hoping for a more expressive set of gestures in Sorcery. Deadmund has what... 8-12 gestures I think.

;-)

http://twitter.com/#!/iWaggle3D

iWaggle3D ‏ @iWaggle3D Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Creating potions involves actually pouring/sprinkling ingredients into a cauldron sort of 1:1 style and then stir the mixture.

1h iWaggle3D ‏ @iWaggle3D Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
In combat camera auto-locks on enemies, but you can disengage auto-lock by holding L1 down.

Tapping L1 centers the camera, but holding it down also allows to look around freely a la PSMove Heroes shooting sections. "1:1 arc"

Spell selection is amazingly fast and accurate. Curved shots are very cool to pull off.

It's amazing how quickly Sorcery recognizes different gestures in rapid succession. It really pushed Move tech like no other game.

12 Apr iWaggle3D ‏ @iWaggle3D Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Done working on an important project (reason why I haven't updated iWaggle3D in a while). I'll hopefully be able to tell u more tomorrow.

EDIT:
Updated...

iWaggle3D ‏ @iWaggle3D Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Oh, by the way, I played the whole thing seated. No need to be standing up at all.

5h iWaggle3D ‏ @iWaggle3D Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Loved mixing spells in combat, which is a necessity cos one spell wont cut it. Quite the fresh new experience you'd expect from a Move game

5h iWaggle3D ‏ @iWaggle3D Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Sorcery preview code finished. Great game. Easily the best Move required yet. It's aint Zelda structure wise. It's more akin to GOW.

So you are the sorcerer's apprentice who accidentally unleashes unspeakable evil while on a dare to find alchemy ingredients on the Island of the Dead. Wow, that really is some truly compelling next level story telling shit.
Even if it plays well, it still looks more like a proof of concept than a proper game to me at this point.

All I know is that if iWaggle3D is enthusiastic about a Move implementation, then I can pretty much guarantee I'll love it too.

IGN's recent preview of this game is surprisingly positive.

Sounds like it might well come off well. I hope so because I really want a dedicated Move game to review well so that the peripheral can pick up some more traction.

(I also want to enjoy the game myself :plol)

IGN's recent preview of this game is surprisingly positive.

IGN's previews of Golden Axe Beast Rider (which they did a mere two weeks before the game's release) and Silent Hill Downpour were surprisingly positive as well. The games scored a 3.2 and a 4.5 respectively. You won't ever find a negative preview on most big gaming web sites, IGN least of all.
Negative previews = no more early builds for the website (depending on who's publishing of course). As someone who works for a gaming web site I can only say the dependency on publishers is a truly messed up state of affairs.

IGN's previews of Golden Axe Beast Rider (which they did a mere two weeks before the game's release) and Silent Hill Downpour were surprisingly positive as well. The games scored a 3.2 and a 4.5 respectively. You won't ever find a negative preview on most big gaming web sites, IGN least of all.
Negative previews = no more early builds for the website (depending on who's publishing of course). As someone who works for a gaming web site I can only say the dependency on publishers is a truly messed up state of affairs.

*sigh* :cry:

You present a depressingly valid point.

I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up yet then.

*sigh* :cry:

You present a depressingly valid point.

I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up yet then.

While it is always wise to keep your hopes down, iWaggle3D seemed very positive, and he is not that easy to please, especially when it comes down to Move supported games ...

This is out, reviews are decent (e.g. eurogamer gives 7/10) though the game is generally considered to be targeted at a younger audience. They say the star of this game is the Move controller itself.

Back