Sorcery

patsu

Legend
Rather intriguing PS Move game.

May be able to steal the best concepts from Harry Porter, Narnia and Percy Jackson.

EDIT: [size=-2]Should borrow from Folklore also.[/size]

Looked cool. Makes me wish the new Zelda was a PS Move title. But this one title was more interesting than Microsoft's entire Kinect lineup.

yeah I thought of Zelda mixed with Harry Potter.
The demo walkthrough was really well done. The Move responded really well.
I think it surprised a lot of people.
I like the spell combination and especially the moment when he took the green potion and said " the light on the controller will tell you when it's ready ".

I like the whirlwind part. There is a whirlwind weapon in Ratchet & Clank, but it's very hard to control using SIXAXIS.

The rat transformation is nice too.

I hope we have a Star Wars Move game, a Demon's Souls Move game, and a Zone of the Enders Move game.

Sorcery impressions:
http://kotaku.com/5616649/waving-my-wand-at-sorcery?skyline=true&s=i/

Sorcery is still in the early stages, but it functions as promised. The moment I had the PlayStation Move controller in my hand I was flicking my wrist and tossing arcane bolts every which way. Without prompting I held down the move button, which caused my onscreen character to lift his staff into the air, building a charge. Bringing the controller straight down had him slam the base of the wand onto the ground, causing an enormous area-of-effect explosion, sending shockwaves across the ground.

I was impressed, though the control is still in need of some major work.

At this early stage of development, I had to control the main character’s movements using a Dual Shock controller held in my off-hand, which was a bit unwieldy and imprecise. Another issue I had was with the game’s auto-targeting, which one moment would aim for the goblin-like creatures attacking me, and the next fire randomly at the wall or other bits of scenery.

“They won’t let me do this on stage,” he explains, flipping the Move controller in the air and catching it. On screen, the character does the same thing. I am glad he didn’t show me that trick first, as I would have been throwing that damn controller all over the place.

With 25-30 spells in the final version of the game and a 6-8 hour main storyline involving dark fairies, Sorcery promises to be a lot more than just a tech demo. Even if it’s little more than that at the moment, it’s one hell of an impressive one.

It's a MLB The Show 2011 interview, but there's a tidbit about Sorcery:
http://gamerfitnation.com/mlb-the-show-2011-interview-with-sonys-scott-mccarthy/

BB: I’m looking at the line up for the future games you have, and you guys line up the right games you’ve got the wizard one…

SM: yea, Sorcery, that is sweet! The last time we showed that game… it’s ten times bigger now. It’s looking really really good.

BB: It almost makes me picture Harry Potter games .

SM: Well we aren’t looking at an licensing but the more games we get out for the move, the bigger that platform is going to get.

Also another post at GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26045570&postcount=34

SamBishop said:
There'll be a Sorcery presentation and hands-on time with the game at GDC in two weeks. Rest assured, you'll be hearing a lot more about it very soon.

Thanks Patsu for reminding me about this spankly little gem :D

This was the demo that sold me on Move before it ever released. Sony needs to pump as much money into this title as the devs need to make this game the best it can be. The demo at E3 last year was too charming and just too awesome that i'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see more about this.

Even if all Move gets this year is KZ3, Socom 4 and this, i'll be a very very happy Move gamer :D

If this thing works like the demo we saw, I'd be all over it. I hope we get to fight a ferocious dragon. Something scary, not cute !

A two-hand broad sword may work just as well if not better than a wand though. :p

One game my whole family wants to buy ! Thats a really big achievement :cool: ! My niece n nephew and friends keep asking if Sorcery is out ! Happened right this morning too :D !

Argh, damn right. FFXIV, Last Guardian and Sorcery next year please !

Nonsense. If you have time to play it only much later, you can simply wait till then and maybe even get it at a cheaper price. Or you can buy it and then play much later. ;)

In case you are wondering if Sorcery was canned...
http://www.dealspwn.com/sony-confirm-sorcery-development-66720

Good news everyone, the promising PlayStation Move title, Sorcery, is still in development despite disappearing from our radars for almost a year. Hugo Bustillos, Sony’s UK PR Executive today confirmed to us: “Yes, Sorcery is still in development.”

There are no details on a release date as of yet, we imagine there’s still some time to go. The last sign of life we had from the developer, The Workshop, was a job listing at Game Guzzler for a UI (User Interface) Artist, posted back in May this year.

Sony must want it to be a holiday season release to maximise Move interest. It was a real showcase of Move. If they miss this holiday, it'll be a significant loss game and platform IMO. Although it is a little odd to be so quiet at E3.

They need to think of a better movement control scheme compared to the rest. Using the navcon is ok-ish. Built-in gestures like Sports Champion's Gladiator may be appropriate sometimes but not always.

Also hope they make this into a "full" game: art direction, story, character development, spells, stats, etc. Don't just focus on the motion mechanics. We will have Deadmund's Quest for that soon.

Yeah ! I am expecting this would be a proper game and not just motion mini-games, they somehow don't engage that much and feel incomplete for the money. I want a proper game I can play with move. It should be an actual game with a new control scheme, not just a control scheme wrapped around activities. Frankly speaking, Sports Champions is the only good game Move has going !

You forgot KZ3 ! Some Gaffers consider it the epitome of Move shooters. Admittedly, they b*tched about it before trying. But after some hands-on time, many of the Move shooter people think it's the best implementation so far.

For one-one fighting, you might want to check out Lights Out but you need to grind through the initial stages. For Golf, I recommend Pro Stroke Golf. I heard the Dart game is very well done too. But Sports Champion has the most value since it includes multiple games and all of them are deep enough.

Now if Under Siege can tune the balance of the game better, I'd recommend it too. At this moment, the controls are good, the games have enough depth, but the difficulty needs some tuning. The developers said they are working on it. Stay tuned !

Back