Sony's Instant Video Everywhere! PS3 Live?

This will be one of the ways that Sony will try to compete with MS. Take a look at the interface and concepts. Of course with this Sony still has a ways to go before even catching Xbox Live, but this is a great start.

Gadgets kingpin Sony entered the $1 billion-a-year Internet video telephone market Wednesday with a new service aimed, for now, mainly at businesses.

Called Instant Video Everywhere, or IVE, the service initially will be offered to businesses in a premium version with broadcast-quality video. The service will cost $500 a month. Next week Sony will debut a mobile version, which can be used at any broadband connection, that costs $35 a month with a one-year service contract, $45 a month without a contract.

IVE is a product of Sony's partnership with Glowpoint, a Hillside, N.J.-based video-phone service provider known for its "All You Can See" unlimited video dialing plans and easy-to-use, cutting-edge services such as live video operators and video-call mailboxes.

Sony plans to first steer IVE mainly toward businesses, which buy virtually all of the Internet video-calling gear and software on the market. Sony also is contemplating a consumer version of IVE for its popular lineup of home entertainment and gaming consoles, Sony Vice President Eric Murphy said.

"Pushing videoconferencing out of the conference room," as Murphy puts it, will be a tough go not just for Sony but also for Cisco Systems, video phone operator Packet8 and other proponents now trying to do the same.

For the most part, consumers haven't bothered with Internet video telephony. Historically, only businesses could afford video telephony equipment, which also tended to be difficult to use. But even that market has been less than robust. In 2004, revenue from sales of video-calling gear was a disappointing $40 million, although that is 23 percent higher than sales in 2003, according to analysis company Point Topic.

But years of product development have made such services much easier to use and also have pushed prices of videophones below $100. Videophone proponents say the market for their products exists because millions of people are now making phone calls over their Internet connections using voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP, the same technology underpinning videophone services.

"We're seeing a real trend where people take what are normally business tools home with them for 'non-business' means," Murphy said. "We'll see whether it can transition to consumers."

client-thumb.jpg

IVE-gaming.jpg

The IVE Video Portal includes: Video content related to the Sony IPELA

Videoconferencing line of products
Movie Previews and trailers
Playstation and PSP gaming content
and more ???

What do you guys think? EDIT: Could this be what Sony meant when they talked about cellphone like features on the PSP. Maybe its VoIP on the PSP. One of the links--> http://news.com.com/Sony+The+V+in+VoIP+also+stands+for+video/2100-7345_3-5728233.html?tag=nefd.top
________
GIRLFRIENDS PICS

Last edited by a moderator:
Broadband connections in the US probably won't be able to transmit video and give you good gaming performance.

Might work in Japan and other Asian nations.

Why would you need this service? Do they offer some dedicated connections? Or just leasing the equipment to you but you still go over the Internet?

What kind of bandwidth is that HD IP camera going to require?

How much of the processor is encoding H.264 in real time going to take from game performance?

wco81 said:
Broadband connections in the US probably won't be able to transmit video and give you good gaming performance.
How poor is the typical BB connection in the US? Unless it's less than 256kbit/s it's not going to be much of a problem.

What kind of bandwidth is that HD IP camera going to require?
It isn't going to be sending HD resolution images if it's going to be used as a picture-in-picture. Rather, it'll be something like 256 or maybe even just 160 pixels across.

How much of the processor is encoding H.264 in real time going to take from game performance?
Where does it say it's h.264 compression? It doesn't have to be that. There are lots of fast and efficient compression schemes out there that can be used instead that don't bog down even a PC from years ago, much less a PS3.

Well HD implied high-resolution so...

Upstream is about 128 or 256kbps.

You can induce latency in a game just by downloading a couple of torrents at the same time, something like 10-15 kBps up and down. I have a 256kbps uplink or did when I observed these problems.

So the camera is HD IP.

HD = High Definition

IP = ? Just Internet Protocol? What's the significance of including that in the name?

And how will this fit in in terms of next gen eyetoy? I'd prefer if there was just one camera - hopefully this incorporates next-gen eyetoy functionality.

I can't help but feel that this whole new generation (and this is only the beginning) will make everyone more isolated than they already are.

I mean, multiplayer games, having ur mates round one evening for a match at PES is the best, not because of the game, but because of the interaction, your mates are there, u see them, u talk to them, u interact with them, u see their faces when you kick their asses and they do the same, you swear... everything...

Now we'll be able to see the faces of whoever we're playing against. In the future this will be enhanced and it will be possible to lock ourselves in our rooms and play against other people and get a very close experience to the one we'd get if their were there with us...

Don't know, i might be close minded, but it feels strange. One day we'll never have to see our friends and it will be "ok".

london-boy said:
I can't help but feel that this whole new generation (and this is only the beginning) will make everyone more isolated than they already are.

I mean, multiplayer games, having ur mates round one evening for a match at PES is the best, not because of the game, but because of the interaction, your mates are there, u see them, u talk to them, u interact with them, u see their faces when you kick their asses and they do the same, you swear... everything...

Now we'll be able to see the faces of whoever we're playing against. In the future this will be enhanced and it will be possible to lock ourselves in our rooms and play against other people and get a very close experience to the one we'd get if their were there with us...

Don't know, i might be close minded, but it feels strange. One day we'll never have to see our friends and it will be "ok".

7 bluetooth controllers and 2 HDMI outputs ;)

7 bluetooth controllers and 2 HDMI outputs

Yep 9 reasons to friends over. I remember Sony saying that you can take your HDIP camera around hook them up to over places, go home and view exactly going on. Could this be used as a security camera? Multiple cameras can be setup to the PS3 too. Remember 6 USB ports.
________
2008 Lexus Cup

Last edited by a moderator:
Inane_Dork said:
jvd said:
dude it was a friggen joke .
You mean you don't think the RSX has the power to run 2 1080p TVs? ;)

You don't need to be able to run 2 1080ps. For a game that wanted to allow dual-output multiplayer for, what, up to 8 players I guess, it could use whatever res it liked. 2 720p screens is less resolution than 1 1080p screen, for example.

I don't expect many games to offer that, but perhaps as many likely as will offer 1080p output to one screen ;) For those of us who can get together 2 HDTVs it could be nice :)

Personally I'm more interested, however, in using it for video chat and other "OS" stuff while playing the game, and also for playing games on my monitor when I don't want to turn the lights down to use the projector. It'd be nice to have that choice without having to rewire everything to switch between displays.

Titanio said:
So the camera is HD IP.

HD = High Definition

IP = ? Just Internet Protocol? What's the significance of including that in the name?

And how will this fit in in terms of next gen eyetoy? I'd prefer if there was just one camera - hopefully this incorporates next-gen eyetoy functionality.

The HD IP cameras work as a network box. Essentially you can place the camera anywhere in the world and use it from your PS3 since it has its own IP. That's the idea of it -- it's not limited to just being plugged directly into the PS3.

I think it might function as the next gen EyeToy -- maybe it'll be backwards compatible also? I don't see why it wouldn't, at least for PS3 'EyeToy' games.

I'm rather excited about it.

Bobbler said:
The HD IP cameras work as a network box. Essentially you can place the camera anywhere in the world and use it from your PS3 since it has its own IP. That's the idea of it -- it's not limited to just being plugged directly into the PS3.

Wow, interesting. So..you can connect it directly to the net itself? No need for an intermediate box? Of course to receive images yourself you'd need something, but to transmit, just the camera itself? Where would power come from in the absence of a PS3? Has it's own (optional) power connection? I didn't quite get this in the conference.

Are there any current examples of these on the market?

And I'm sure it should be at least backward compatible and suitable for current eye-toy applications and future eye-toy style applications. Hopefully it's ready for next-gen eyetoy stuff too.

wco81 said:
Well HD implied high-resolution so...
Don't be a dumbass. There's no reason to compress and send a full-screen hi-res camera image if the picture is just going to occupy a small corner on the recipient end's screen!

You can induce latency in a game just by downloading a couple of torrents at the same time
Yes, and that's because your PC doesn't know that some of the packets it sends out are more time critical than others. It would be different in a console of course where the IP stack would prioritize multiplayer data over camera image data.

Back