Sony X-Black Monitors

PC-Engine said:
Thing is I'd wait for a REAL review from sites like Anantech before claiming they're the best thing since sliced bread, not from some vendor that sells them. :LOL: ;)

Just be honest and smart, not dumb and blind.

Sorry mate I believe that review was fair and honest. No where did it state the Sony was the best thing since sliced bread. We have loads of screens for sale and I personally have tested almost every single model we have stocked. The idea for the review was to educate people.

Not one place do you even get a link to the page to buy the product from the website so it was not a sales pitch. We did not even review the 19" model.

No offense PC Engine, you don't know what you are talking about, nor do you contribute anything positive to these forums.

If you think reviews cannot be unbiased simply because we sell the item at least we as a vendor are upfront about it rather than most websites that make their living and earn their bandwidth by promoting "free samples" to you.

I sincerely hope you change your attitude before posting again PC Engine - at the moment you sound like an arse.

Re: Looking at the design of it...

OICAspork said:
I'm guessing it can't be rotated 180 degree's for viewing things like webpages?

No you cant rotate the screen unfortunately.

PC-Engine said:
I'm pretty sure the 1000:1 CR is PR bullcrap, but at least a 1000:1 CR PR bullcrap is better than a 500:1 CR PR bullcrap. ;)

Not necessarily. ;)

Some manufactureres are just more honest than others. ;)

Hmm, so Samsung is telling the truth then.

Anyone know who's making the panels for Sony on these models?

london-boy said:
Thanks, but if there is one thing about these screens is that the blacks are black. Not sure how anyone could complain about the black levels and contrast ratio of these screens.
The reflective screen did leave me a bit doubty about purchase, but i should be ok in my room...

I said I had not seen these newer screens did I not? I was merely commenting on my past experience with Sony's monitors which was, quite frankly, terrible. Yes their contrast ratio was very bad considering Sony advertised 500:1.

And no one ever said they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Well there is "I can say that the 19" model is way ahead of anything else I have seen thus far in the way of PC LCD screens. The image quality was even better than a Viewsonic 20.1" VP201 (16msec)." and " literally blows the competition away with regards to image quality."

What exactly are those two comments implying if not the best thing since sliced bread? It's also impossible for a 19" LCD monitor to have better image quality then a 20" LCD monitor because the former runs SXGA while the latter runs UXGA; there are simply more pixels on the 20" with a much higher resolution (12x10 vs 16x12). Now if he was talking in terms of contrast ratio well then that's different.

Sorry ANova I did not write that review - did you even read it? Did you even read the rest of my comments in this thread? Perhaps you should to get a more rounded picture of my personal opinion of the LCD screens.

I cannot believe all this controversey over a simple LCD screen. The X-Black technology Sony is employing really is very good and different to what most other manufacturers are doing in the retail market. It is very visual and very appealing to many people. What is wrong with that?

Those comments of mine you pulled in the quotes were my personal opinion - and the 19" Sony LCD screen has better image quality in my eyes than the Viewsonic VP201 with regards to colour reproduction, contrast ratio and brightness. The VP201 is better due to its higher resolution and better stand that allows you to adjust the height and tilt the screen.

Most UK retailers will not even stock that [Viewsonic VP201] screen including heavy weight resellers like Evensham Micro. I was very priviliged to take a look at that screen.. albeit briefly. I have not seen any reviews of the Sony LCD screens elsewhere so I asked a member of staff to review it and he liked it a lot but still pointed out all the caveats he found. It was his first review and he did a brilliant job IMHO and in the end that is all that counts to him.

I understand what you're saying but like I also said, my personal past experience with Sony's LCD was not very good, so until I see this x-black for myself I reserve the right to take any appraisal from others with a grain of salt.

ANova said:
I understand what you're saying but like I also said, my personal past experience with Sony's LCD was not very good, so until I see this x-black for myself I reserve the right to take any appraisal from others with a grain of salt.

Well why comment on the thread that clearly states "See the monitor for yourself and see the difference" if you haven't seen it?!

What's the point in posting about your bad experience with an OLD Sony Monitor, which uses X-Black tech, but the first generation and not the implementation in these newer models (which is the point of this thread)?

As has been said, go to a shop, find the monitor and look for yourself, if u don't agree with the comments made, fantastic.

But the difference is really like night and day.

PC-Engine, have you seen the monitors we're talking about?

Also, PC-Engine, you comment on Tahir's credibility.

Why would Tahir, as a "salesperson", want to sell a Sony monitor over a Samsung, or any other manufacturer? It's not like his shops makes a higher profit from selling the Sony units.

His review was very simple, it commented on the advantages and it commented on the disadvantages. It is quite a fair review in fact and by no means a "This monitor is the best thing since sliced bread".

It mentions the IQ is above its competitors, which it is, and if you had actually seen it, you'd understand, but it also dedicates a lot of his review outlining what the disadvantages are, to inform the buyer before purchasing the product.

I'm not even sure why i bother responding to you to be honest, it's not like i don't know who i'm talking to...

SONY LCDs use Samsung panels...

If Samsung doesn't blow away the competiton then SONY certainly isn't going to blow away the competition considering they're just rebadged Samsungs with higher price tags.

PC-Engine said:
SONY LCDs use Samsung panels...

If Samsung doesn't blow away the competiton then SONY certainly isn't going to blow away the competition with rebadged Samsungs with higher price tags.

You don't know what the hell u're talking about.

No Samsung panels feature Xblack tech, and no Samsung display has the black levels the X-Black tech provides.

Again, have you seen them or are you, once again, talking from out of your skinny ass?

There is a reason why SONY got kicked out of the Japanese LCD consortium. ;)

The truth hurts my friend, but I don't blame you really since you're not up to snuff on the happens behind the scenes. :LOL:

Remember that triLED LCD tv that gives fantastic colors from SONY? Well Samsung has the same one under Samsung brand. :LOL:

Why do you think SONY buys their plasma panels from other manufacturers? :LOL:

Get back to me when there is a proper review from a well known website that puts the X-black LCDs above all others. ;) :LOL:

PC-Engine said:
There is a reason why SONY got kicked out of the Japanese LCD consortium. ;)

The truth hurts my friend, but I don't blame you really since you're not up to snuff on the happens behind the scenes. :LOL:

Remember that triLED LCD tv that gives fantastic colors from SONY? Well Samsung has the same one under Samsung brand.

Why do you think SONY buys their plasma panels from other manufacturers?

PCEngine, this thread was opened to ask for information on a certain product, which just so happens to be a Sony product.

You have not even seen the product, therefore you have NOTHING to contribute to the thread, in fact you still haven't. You limited yourself to commenting on Sony as a company, without any kind of information that was required by the initial post (made by me).

Now, if you want to talk about how Sony is crap in every single thing they do, open your own thread.

My questions about the product discussed in this thread have been answered, by someone who is much more civil and helpful than you are so there is no more need to post in this thread. Or you can continue arguing with yourself in this one, since my questions have been answered and i won't post in here again.

Thanks. Now you can go back to bashing Sony in the Console Forum, or wherever else. Have fun.

Get back to me when there is a proper review from a well known website that puts the X-black LCDs above all others. Wink

PC Engine, Gladiator is not in competition with other review sites.
Your comments have been duly noted. I would like to say again from what I have seen in the range of LCD's the new Sony LCD screens literally blow away the competition with regards to image quality. That is my personal view and not of the reviewers.

If you think I am not in a position to make such a comparison then who cares anyway. I mean lets face it - you haven't even seen the monitor reviewed in real life for a start. Only thing that has come out of your mouth so far is bias and ignorance just because the LCD screen is a Sony screen.

I had no idea a simple review would cause so much controversy. Not that it will put me off getting more reviews done for our customers in the future.

The difference is Anantech, Firingsquad, etc. don't sell LCD products. You do. And that's not even factoring in the quality of the review. Whether I've seen the LCD or not is irrelevent. Get back to me when other hardware websites agree with you. It's like me going into a car dealership and seeing a nice viper and concluding that it blows away the competition. If I go into a store to see these SONY LCDs it will be the exact same thing. It means nothing.:LOL:

PC-Engine said:
The difference is Anantech, Firingsquad, etc. don't sell LCD products. You do. And that's not even factoring in the quality of the review. Whether I've seen the LCD or not is irrelevent. Get back to me when other hardware websites agree with you. It's like me going into a car dealership and seeing a nice viper and concluding that it blows away the competition. If I go into a store to see these SONY LCDs it will be the exact same thing. It means nothing.:LOL:

Oh will you get the hell out of here!

Back