Sony X-Black Monitors

MPI said:
It was more a joke, on the futility of it all(maybe they'll get that latest Sony model actually in store ...in a couple of years) ... 90% of the consumers that REALLY care about display quality has to rely on second hand impressions(or worse). Sometimes you even have to take a stab in the dark and hope for the best. It's a sad fact. :(

:D

I'm with you on this. I just missed the second emoticon. ;)

Yes, you do have to judge for yourself after seeing the display, and let me tell you, you'll see this thing a wet ur pants. :devilish:
Then of course it has little flaws here and there, depending how picky you are, but if u go to a shop and see on running properly, first thing you do is take out the credit card.

OK brief summary of the different panels available:

TN panel = 18bit dithered giving 16.2 million colours (actual unique colours is 260,000).

S-IPS = 24bit giving true 16.77 million colours display, usually has higher response time than TN panels and lower viewing angle.

MVA = 24bit giving true 16.77 million colours display, has highest repsonse times but best contrast ratio (very important for LCD's), not the best panels for gaming but excellent for DTP and CAD work.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong...

london-boy said:
Yes, you do have to judge for yourself after seeing the display, and let me tell you, you'll see this thing a wet ur pants. :devilish:
Then of course it has little flaws here and there, depending how picky you are, but if u go to a shop and see on running properly, first thing you do is take out the credit card.

Yeah, actually I have seen the X-black(the first model), and I think I've written about my encounter in another thread, and I have to say: It IS that good.

Only TFT I've gotten giddy about so far, and the only one I'm considering actually buying. If only the 19" were to come in 1600x1200 res., I'd be about broke just now. ;)

They're too reflective IMHO. I refuse to rearrange my office to get an X-Black (or similar) LCD out of the way of a) my lightbulb and b) my office window, just to get a higher contrast ratio.

Overrated :devilish:

Definitely a limitation but most average users won't be so fussed as these will be in a bedroom to play games on mainly rather than office work.

Sony displays are overrated and overpriced. I had gotten the earlier 17" version with xbright and a professed 16ms response time and the image quality was very poor. Blacks were more of a grey, response time was more like 20ms average, the reflective screen was annoying with the sunlight often blinding me and it had 4 dead pixels. I exchanged it for a Viewsonic and the difference was night and day in all areas.

Now, maybe these are better as I haven't seen them but forgive me for not believing the hype.

ANova said:
Sony displays are overrated and overpriced. I had gotten the earlier 17" version with xbright and a professed 16ms response time and the image quality was very poor. Blacks were more of a grey, response time was more like 20ms average, the reflective screen was annoying with the sunlight often blinding me and it had 4 dead pixels. I exchanged it for a Viewsonic and the difference was night and day in all areas.

Now, maybe these are better as I haven't seen them but forgive me for not believing the hype.

Thanks, but if there is one thing about these screens is that the blacks are black. Not sure how anyone could complain about the black levels and contrast ratio of these screens.
The reflective screen did leave me a bit doubty about purchase, but i should be ok in my room...

The earlier Sony models cannot be compared to the newer models at all. The older models from Sony were indeed poor but these newer ones are light years ahead of the competition when it comes to displaying blacks and contrast ratio. I dont know of any other PC 19" LCD that has 1000:1 contrast ratio!

PC-Engine said:
Tahir said:
I dont know of any other PC 19" LCD that has 1000:1 contrast ratio!

Has that been tested? Or is it just marketing BS? What does Displaymate say???

I'm pretty sure the 1000:1 CR is PR bullcrap, but at least a 1000:1 CR PR bullcrap is better than a 500:1 CR PR bullcrap. ;)

Really though, let your eyes be the judge.

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
Tahir said:
I dont know of any other PC 19" LCD that has 1000:1 contrast ratio!

Has that been tested? Or is it just marketing BS? What does Displaymate say???

I'm pretty sure the 1000:1 CR is PR bullcrap, but at least a 1000:1 CR PR bullcrap is better than a 500:1 CR PR bullcrap. ;)

Not necessarily. ;)

Some manufactureres are just more honest than others. ;)

Also a black screen when it's off is kinda pointless. :LOL: The pertinent question is how dark are the blacks when displaying a black signal?

PC-Engine said:
Also a black screen when it's off is kinda pointless. :LOL: The pertinent question is how dark are the blacks when displaying a black signal?

Errr yeah, i know, no one's talking about when the thing is OFF, dumbo!

PC-Engine said:
BTW that wasn't a review, that was a half assed first look combined with sales pitch. ;)

PCEngine will you spread your useless Sony hate everywhere you go?

Have you seen the displays? With your 2 eyes? Yes? No? While they're ON?

If you have and don't like them, fine! No one's forcing you to buy one and no one wants to hear your "but... but... but..." bullshit from the Kid's Forum.

This thread was created for a reason you obviously don't care about, so much that you have to come in making stupid posts like you usually do in the Kid's Forum. I mean "Was the monitor ON or OFF"... COME ON!!!! :rolleyes:

Thing is I'd wait for a REAL review from sites like Anantech before claiming they're the best thing since sliced bread, not from some vendor that sells them. :LOL: ;)

Just be honest and smart, not dumb and blind.

PC-Engine said:
Thing is I'd wait for a REAL review from sites like Anantech before claiming they're the best thing since sliced bread, not from some vendor that sells them. :LOL: ;)

Just be honest and smart, not dumb and blind.

Well if you bothered to read the thread before going "MMM SONY... FLAME!!", u'd have noticed that no one's rushing to buy one cause they're typically Sony-Premium priced.
And no one ever said they're the best thing since sliced bread.
In fact the thread was opened to get info on "what's the catch" cause they look amazing, but there must be a catch somewhere, which was exposed by many people in fact.

So, PCEngine, what's the problem now?

Back