Sony talked about Cell and Cell based workstations

also mentioning that Cell would be the basis of the next generation entertainment of Playstation.

one of the other Sony guys (forget his name) talked for awhile about Cell, how it would connect, and form "cyber world" alot of talk. but then said creative workstations based on Cell would be built by IBM and SCEI. the first prototype will be out 4Q 2004. sounds to me like an early Phase 3 workstation (remember Sony's old roadmap from 1999)

talked about huge computational performance. sorry no figures.

Sony basicly fired its first shot of the next-gen console wars. MS already took theirs with XNA at GDC and again last night (XNA Crash Demo 2)

MS is talking about software, Sony talking about hardware.

I have to appologize for not being able to transcribe exactly what was said about Cell at the Sony conference. I'm terrible about putting into words (remembering everything) that was said. I guess my short term memory sucks. sorry. I'm sure someone will get a video up.

there is also this:

http://www.gamedaily.com/e3/article.asp?articleid=45&sectionid=17

Update #16

They are now discussing how all Cell-based (the processor) hardware will connect. A Cell-based workstation is coming in Q4 2004 as a prototype.

hopefully someone with a better memory and ability to get it typed out will post in this thread, or elsewhere. on what I couldnt remember.

Megadrive1988 said:
MS is talking about software, Sony talking about hardware.

Application, Tools, Middleware, Common OS/ Realtime OS. ;)

WS000067.jpg

And remember Marketing Laws, Talk about your strengths first, that's what MS and Sony do.

Workstation this year, PS3 won't be far off from it. They may base the PS3 tech demos off the workstation I imagine.

what Sony talked about was a Cell-based workstation. the first version of which, is coming by the end of this year.

PS3 will be based on Cell architecture also. but Sony did not say the PS3 will be based on this workstation. remember Cell-based products (consumer and non-consumer) can come in a myraid (many) of forms. Cell is scalable and modular. anything from PDAs to super computers can use Cell. so a workstation is inbetween a PDA and a super computer, and also PS3 will be inbetween a PDA and a super computer. (i mean a massive computer system with many Cells)

I think the Cell-based workstations Sony will introduce in 2005-2006 (the first prototype they said is coming in 4Q 2004) is basicly the implimentation of Phase 3, which back in 1999, was said to use Emotion Engine 3 and Graphics Synthesizer 3 with "drastically changed architectures" . Although I might be wrong, I believe that EE3 and GS3, with their new architectures, *is* the Cell-based Broadband Engine and Cell-based Visualizer. PS3 is also part of the Phase 3 plan.

Megadrive1988 said:
I believe that EE3 and GS3, with their new architectures, is Cell-based Broadband Engine and Cell-based Visualizer. PS3 is also part of the Phase 3 plan.

Realizer!! :oops:

Just Kidding, very good post BTW megadrive.

Certainly would like to see some working silicon though... <grumbles>

But in the meanwhile, I know a way to keep myself happy! <steals Fredi's G5> :p ;)

McFly said:
Hehe, you can have it if you send me a PSP with all the main demo games. 8)

Fredi
Hmm... Sorry, no can-do. I'd probably have a better chance robbing the back room of a nearby Apple Store. ;)

EE Times article weighing in on the CELL workstation:

http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/sho...id=SMSI2FRVCLNZYQSNDBCCKHQ?articleID=20300698

Cell processor to debut in fourth quarter
By Yoshiko Hara
EE Times

TOKYO — Sony Corp., Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and IBM Corp. jointly announced that the first application of the Cell processor will be a workstation for a digital content creation. They also said the first Cell-based prototype will be ready in the forth quarter.

The Cell processor, under joint development by Sony group, IBM and Toshiba Corp., aims for teraflop-level performance.

The Cell processor will be the heart of the next generation of PlayStation 2. Hence, a workstation design will initially serve as the development environment for PlayStation "3".

Detailed performance metrics for the Cell processor have yet to be disclosed. It is known to have a parallel processing architecture and teraflops floating point level computing power.

Ken Kutaragi, executive deputy president and COO at Sony Corp. and and of the Sony entertainment unit, was the driving force behind development of the Cell processor. Sony, IBM and Toshiba launched the development project in 2001. By integrating a Deep Blue-level computer in one processor, Kutaragi advocated integrating a broadband network and a platform that can handle movie theater-quality digital video content.

"Cell has enormous power for creating broadband content," Kutaragi said in a statement. "Today, movies and games are sharing the same world and characters on a common database. Within a few years, both forms of entertainment will be fused and become indistinguishable, offering a seamless experience in the home. Together with IBM, the three companies aim to offer technology that will accelerate the paradigm shift in digital entertainment."

The Sony unit developed a workstation dedicated to digital content creation using a processor based on the Emotion Engine, the core engine for Playstataion2. This time, Sony and workstation leader IBM intend to build a workstation more suitable for digital content creation.

"The Cell-based workstations we are creating with Sony and SCEI will deliver scalable, supercomputer-like performance to the media, entertainment and video game industries," said John Kelly, IBM's senior vice president and group executive.

IBM will develop the Cell-based workstations while the Sony group develops the operating environment.

www.eetimes.com said:
The Cell processor will be the heart of the next generation of PlayStation 2.

Next-Gen Playstation 2... Playstation 2 2? :D
BTW EEtimes keep on calling a "Cell-based processor" a "Cell-processor", maybe Sony/IBM should call it like that, it will be easier to advertise since it's already known by this name.

Back