Sony Reveal Event: Future of Gaming on PS5 [2020-06-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't embed them! :D

I didn't find this example that convincing. The smoke is very transparent and uniformly so, as if it was an offline-rendered effect superimposed. I really hope we see volumetric GPU smoke next-gen. Currently smoke just disappears but in reality it can really linger and become a fog.
They do look somewhat transparent but the way they are affected by solid object in such a good accuracy tells me it's something very advanced.

You didn't embed them! :D

I didn't find this example that convincing. The smoke is very transparent and uniformly so, as if it was an offline-rendered effect superimposed. I really hope we see volumetric GPU smoke next-gen. Currently smoke just disappears but in reality it can really linger and become a fog.
How are volumetric fog and lighting typically calculated through? Compute or 3D pipeline? Also is there texturing done for smoke? Or is it just all particles?

How are volumetric fog and lighting typically calculated through? Compute or 3D pipeline? Also is there texturing done for smoke? Or is it just all particles?
For all we know they're just very pretty animated textures. That's how I'd do them, especially if it's a cutscene *shrug*

For all we know they're just very pretty animated textures. That's how I'd do them, especially if it's a cutscene *shrug*
Are you referring to floating dust particles? Or just using smoke as a texture and just laying down a lot of it.

What happens if you want fog, that can interact with actors will that still work?

Are you referring to floating dust particles? Or just using smoke as a texture and just laying down a lot of it.

What happens if you want fog, that can interact with actors will that still work?
I'm talking about all those very cool looking smoke and lava effects. I guess my mind is still in the PS4One generation :)

All this general talk should probably be in a technical approach thread?

I'm talking about all those very cool looking smoke and lava effects. I guess my mind is still in the PS4One generation :)
Oh ok. Lol. Yea I was messing with dust in UE4 to be floating around in volumetric lighting and fog and yea the easy way is to just have particle systems that shoot textured dust around.
Hmm yea I don’t quite fully understand how volumetrics are rendered. Quite curious now.

Even if it doesn’t; light transport, say mine craft RTX, is dramatic. The simplest graphics with the best lighting is probably the most dramatic contrast of how important we perceive things. A game that truly nails lighting correctly has an effect over the whole world significantly more than just hair.

Using Minecraft as an example proves my point. If that's the only graphics available with Ray tracing I say hell to the no. It's not as if the other lighting tech looks bad.

I am hoping for a RTRT patch for Minecraft Dungeons. The game is fun. Even with graphics from the 16bit era. :LOL:

I must say, some part of Minecraft RTX are impressive (when the effects really go crazy, with reflections and refractions and all the R'tions), but I'm on the Meh side too. Maybe I don't get it, but I've seen much more 'real' footage using RT than Minecraft.

Using Minecraft as an example proves my point. If that's the only graphics available with Ray tracing I say hell to the no. It's not as if the other lighting tech looks bad.
It’s not, that’s a full path tracing tenderer.

We don’t expect many titles to go that route. One could easily replicate drive club with hardware RT now without as much impact to performance. Just using hardware RT for Dybamic real-time GI should be more efficient than through a compute shader only method; even small augments to a compute shader variant would speed it up.

It’s not, that’s a full path tracing tenderer

I know but it's the example you used and it proves the point of Ray tracing is only one aspect of what makes a game look good. Minecraft with full path Ray tracing still looks worse than most AAA current gen games.

I know but it's the example you used and it proves the point of Ray tracing is only one aspect of what makes a game look good. Minecraft with full path Ray tracing still looks worse than most AAA current gen games.
I would disagree with that :) completely.

Im sure I can find some 2013 AAA titles that would look really bad

I did say most not all :D.
But I think we will get some nice Ray tracing hybrid type techniques in the future. That so many first gen games are using it can only be a good sign for the future. Especially Ratchet also being native 4k means there's quite a lot of spare performance to be had.

Now swinging this discussion into another direction could the slight hitching when going through the portals in Ratchet be a sign that Sony didn't over engineer there SSD and that they are going to need every bit of performance it can deliver?

Hmm, isn't RT suppose to be a global thing?

You either have it for the whole screen or not. Not something they'd apply to one part of the scene but use baked in illumination for the rest?
No.

You can trace rays from anything and to anything.

So if you wish to trace/sample from vertex outward for nearest object, you can.
You can use it for animation, collision, material blending.. Etc.

In simplest form tracing/casting is just a way to sample world, what you do with it is up to you.

Just to remind people every trailers you saw from the event was all real time running on a PS5 in case anyone missed the disclaimer from the start :).
1x5kbp.jpg

Is 'game footage' just gameplay or including cinematics? And does 'captured from a PS5 system' preclude playing video from the SSD? Was it captured in real-time, or running at half-speed and accelerated?

:p

Basically, we need the notification "all footage is being rendered in real time on a PS5". That way we can limit videos to video-textures rendered on a screen-filling quad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back