Sony releasing DS4 addon for two back-side buttons

Not my experience....
My Move controllers followed through two generations.
My old Thrustmaster T300 still works, so is my T8 shifter.
My PSVR was announced to be compatible next gen, so again two gen span.

What are MS and nintendo track records?

Nintendo? Even gqame cibe controller works with switch

Eurogamer likes it

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ever-counter-to-microsofts-elite-2-controller

We have to conclude that Sony's Back Button Attachment is a worthy upgrade for DualShock 4 owners, whether you're playing on PlayStation, PC or elsewhere. The idea of providing the single most essential piece of a premium controller at a relatively low cost is a great one, and the sheer utility this adds to a wide range of games across multiple platforms is hard to overstate. That premise could have been squandered in the implementation, but the Attachment's convenient positioning and easy programming ensure it feels like a natural piece of the controller rather than a last minute add-on.

4 the Pros? It's a button relocation so you don't lift other digits away to do something else.

For example, changing items in Dark Souls 3 requires you to press down on the d-pad, so if you're being chased by an enemy and get poisoned, you'd normally have to swap to your poison-clearing item and take your thumb off the left stick that controls movement, leaving you in an awkward position. Similarly, in Call of Duty, pressing down on the left stick all the time to sprint can be damaging to both the stick and your thumb, so mapping this to a rear paddle feels much more comfortable. And finally, what better way to change gears in Gran Turismo than with rear paddles?

So then they're not going to make much future use of the Touchpad and Touchpad Gestures?

The interfaces are independent. Using the examples above, the touchpad is no use for sprinting in COD, or changing gears in GT. Any game that has actions mapped to left stick and D-pad, or right-stick and buttons, could present situations where you need to remove your thumb from the stick to press the button. These paddles offer a fairly economical solution to that problem. Games using the touch-pad aren't mapping quick actions like 'drink potion' or 'use item' to it, or if they are, it's part of the game design that doesn't want a short-cut.

Critique of the touch pad should be levied independently. I don't know how much use it gets. I can't say I'm a huge fan but maybe in some games it's really well implemented? The big-arse button of it is quite useful though.

Right, some more buttons but without any build quality improvements in the sticks or triggers or battery life or grips.
But at a far lower price, meaning it's far more accessible than the Elite controller. So looking at it another way, MS offers a superior gaming experience for only for those with the expendable income, whereas Sony caters to the wider, more inclusive audience.

No-one should be trying to spin this as one company being better than the other. They are different solutions and different products.

Sony need to make more. These things are selling for £70+ on eBay because they aren't available in stores.
No store still trading is prioritising their supply chain to get more Dualshock 4 Back button attachments! :nope:

I don't know if you've been outside, but Starbucks is closed!!! :runaway:

No store still trading is prioritising their supply chain to get more Dualshock 4 Back button attachments! :nope:
I think the point is more Sony underestimated demand, although it may be that demand has jumped with lots of people having lots of time to play shooters. Just checked eBay's history and they were ~£35-40 and less at the beginning of February with a large price increase by the end of February. I think the GAME exclusive thing shows Sony didn't make a lot, otherwise they'd have partnered with a bigger, not bankrupting every third month, company, I think.
I don't know if you've been outside,
No, I bloody well have not! ;)

Back