Sony PS3 Q+A (Leaked)

ihamoitc2005 said:

As far as I know it is not open source, or at least that was the case for some time. In that instance SETI would have to make the port explicitly themselves.

scooby_dooby said:
And you actually think this has a realistic chance of happening? :LOL:

Firefox on PS3 Linux? People built it on PS2 Linux. The difference with PS3 is that you ought to be able to get it straight from Mozilla or another rpm source more directly, if PPC source/binaries work as is.

scooby_dooby said:
I meant as an integrated browser, not some app you have to boot into Linux downoad and install.

Into the 'main' PS3 OS you mean? The one we saw at E3? Of course that won't be FireFox, that'll be the browser that was shown. I thought it was fairly clear ihamoitc2005 was talking about apps like that being on Linux, though. It might be bundled with the distro though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Browser

rabidrabbit said:
Then you're not exactly following the conversation.

What I say is that if Sony needs software for browser, IM, email they can use any open source software like firefox. Who can know if maybe PS3 browser is not just firefox skin? This is a great mystery and we will find out one day if Sony makes their own browser or copy and paste open-source browser. What we know is PS3 can have browser no problem. So, of course, this is great for normal consumer with broadband and home network router.

rabidrabbit said:

I apologise then, I've traced the conversation back a little and it seemed a little ambiguous which end ihamoitc2005 was referring to, but I assumed in the general context of the discussion it was Linux we were talking about. If we're talking about the main OS, I'd say it's an evolution of the PSP browser, whatever it may (or may not) be based on.

ihamoitc2005 said:
Anyone can download source code and compile it for CELL/Linux and give me one copy. :)

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

Yeah, Boinc's involvement is what makes me wonder. Did it all become open source after that? Regardless, if you really want to take advantage of Cell - which you would with an app like that - it'd be preferable to explicitly port it even if one of the current ones can be built on it as is.

edit - Also, one of the other builds here would probably be a more likely build for a ps3 linux - http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_other.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Cell

Titanio said:
I apologise then, I've traced the conversation back a little and it seemed a little ambiguous which end ihamoitc2005 was referring to, but I assumed in the general context of the discussion it was Linux we were talking about. If we're talking about the main OS, I'd say it's an evolution of the PSP browser, whatever it may (or may not) be based on.

No need to make apology my friend, you have correct interpretation.

Yeah, Boinc's involvement is what makes me wonder. Did it all become open source after that? Regardless, if you really want to take advantage of Cell - which you would with an app like that - it'd be preferable to explicitly port it.

I agree and also I feel if PS3 has sales like apple computer SETI will want to make explicit port to have maximum use for SPE. One CELL can have more use for SETI than maybe 50 old PC with normal 1-2Ghz processor. But even simple compile by anyone for PPE can have great performance.

Titanio said:
Makes you wonder if SCE will bother putting together their own distro or just use an existing PPC one, then. Also makes you wonder if and how you could put other PPC distros onto the system. I guess we'll find out in due course.

I hope they adopt the SuSE Linux PPC distro with XGL as a base - this is one really neat distro. They will hopefully port some of the multi-media stuff to Cell for blistering performance. Putting together their own distro will take longer and produce inferior results.

rabidrabbit said:

No, I came into this conversation after some ridiculous comparisons betweena $299 DELL pc and the PS3. Ihomoit is replying to my statement that, given their track record, I doubt Sony will be able to create all the software required to make the PS3 a true alternative to the PC.

He replied with shareware RPM's that can be downloaded and installed. That's not what I'm talking about, and it's not sufficient for PS3 to replace the PC to any extent.

It will be interesting to see what RPM's sony does allow, how easy they are to aquire, and how they deal with the security holes that will crop up.

I really want to see if sony will really let you run software in the linux that comes bundled with the ps3.

For the homebrew scene, it will be like opening Pandora´s Box, since you will start seeing all kind of apps and emulators in a matter of months, maybe days. And we all have seen how sony has reacted in that regard with the psp.

Who said the thing is going to replace the pc? Just because it may technically be called a computer system doesnt mean it will replace my desktop. IIRC This thing goes in the living room. No matter how hard sony tries, people will still see it as a game console.

Only thing I could see it replacing is my HTPC and my old ps2.

Pc

Bad_Boy said:
Who said the thing is going to replace the pc? Just because it may technically be called a computer system doesnt mean it will replace my desktop. IIRC This thing goes in the living room. No matter how hard sony tries, people will still see it as a game console.

Only thing I could see it replacing is my HTPC and my old ps2.

I think for people to have PS3 for desktop replacement to do word processing is nightmare for Sony. Sony wants PS3 to be Media Center PC for living room. :) Media Center that can have full media center function and also great games. Game console is path to living room media center. Winner of this living room war will have control of all home entertainment. This is why Microsoft started Xbox division. Not for games market but for controlling all home entertainment. Sony also has same goal.

This is one example of Media Center PC:

http://alienware.com/product_detail...SysCode=PC-AREA51-3550-R1&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

For me the PS3 would be the oposite it would be the media extender device. If I am going to go the media server route it is going to have to accept 4+ hard drives in a raid cofiguration so I can rip my few hundred DVDs onto the server. Hopefully the PS3 will not be so restricted like the 360 were you have to have windows media eddition to stream video. The PS3 being able to stream a ton of file formats out of the box with out restrictions would be a major selling point for me. That was my biggest disapointment in the 360 MS forcing windows media edition on me for what I consider a basic function.

ihamoitc2005 said:
I think for people to have PS3 for desktop replacement to do word processing is nightmare for Sony. Sony wants PS3 to be Media Center PC for living room. :) Media Center that can have full media center function and also great games. Game console is path to living room media center. Winner of this living room war will have control of all home entertainment. This is why Microsoft started Xbox division. Not for games market but for controlling all home entertainment. Sony also has same goal.

This is one example of Media Center PC:

http://alienware.com/product_detail...SysCode=PC-AREA51-3550-R1&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT
I pretty much agree with this. Why would sony want to replace the desktop when they have their viao line to market for that? PS3 is more of a media center for the living room.

A negative rep because of telling people to watch before they leap? Brilliant. I should have known B3D has a history of infallible Sony optimism. This is the place that basically spread the whole teraflop ps3 FUD. I am long done with discussions and wishful thinking stemming from pieces of inconceivable truths!

Note to self: Will wait for take #12, Act 4. Will not expect people to have memories of bad faith and will again simmer down from their first stance.

Shifty Geezer said:
That's["Apparently binaries for PPC Linux need no recompilation to work on Cell."] very good news! So straight out the gate there should be useable applications on PS3 Linux.
What is so great about that news? If it's Linux, you're in the world of free source and complete development systems. If programs do need recompilation to work on Cell, you can simply recompile them. You'll have compilers, assemblers, linkers, system libraries, ...

Back