Sony Posts its numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha, look for the word "confusion" (first line !). :LOL:

[size=-2]Come on people, none of us has enough info. People already have fixed ideas in their mind and may not accept new info without a jury. Like aselto mentioned, these numbers don't really affect us. They change too.[/size]

Ha ha, look for the word "confusion" (first line !). :LOL:

Thanks I sit about 8 feet from the monitor and the link was not very visible. Regardless I don't think that had anything to do with what were discussing with Lucid. Lucid for one suggested that I'm a conspiracy theorist, when I said that they use different counting methods for financial reporting, installed base etc. :) How does that rhyme with him just talking about House's quote?

Yes, sh*t has been flung from multiple sides. -_-

The real situation is a lot more complex and also reasonable when you consider all the crap the ops guys have to handle, on top of the complex tax and accounting rules, plus the channel sales/marketing guys trying to hammer down their channel partners.

Large companies have one (or more) full department handling order management and business ops. There are a lot of "firefighting" involved. I am just surprised that something so mundane can be so colorful in fora.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/07q1_sonypre.pdf

Bottom of page 6 it says:

"Beginning with Q1 FY07, the method of reporting hardware and software unit sales has been changed from production shipments to recorded sales"

And this is what that means (written by Viper @e-empire.com)

This is pretty much what I wanted to say, but he said it better. That is exactly how it is.

Much better. It's nice to see actual evidence instead of just words.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/latest-sales-figures-show-ps3-has-overtaken-xbox-360-2010119/

According to Japanese developer Tose, PlayStation 3 now has a larger installed base than Xbox 360 globally. While the Wii still has a significant lead for this generation of consoles, Sony’s move past Microsoft is significant.

Tose’s unofficial sales figures peg PS3 sales at 42 million while Xbox 360 is sitting at 41 million. They may be close, but when you consider PS3 has been behind until now this looks like a trend which will see Sony’s lead grow.

Here’s the full list of hardware sales figures in descending order of sales:

PlayStation 2: 120,000,000
PlayStation: 102,000,000
Wii: 74,000,000
NES: 63,000,000
SNES: 49,000,000
PlayStation 3: 42,000,000
Xbox 360: 41,000,000
N64: 33,000,000
Megadrive: 34,00
Xbox: 24,000,000
GameCube: 22,000,000
Atari 2600: 14,000,000
DreamCast: 11,000,000

The new Xbox dashboard, wireless "N", Kinect, HTML5 in the Xbox (ESPN3) and AT&T Universe DVR may signal the start of many Xbox new features to reverse this trend. Sony (PS3) will respond and we all benefit but the PS3 (Cell) is not as suited to web browser features as the Xbox, Xbox is playing to it's strengths. The PS3 can do it but will require more coding...so what's new.

Disney requiring contracts with ISPs before the full ESPN3 package can be displayed on the Xbox is troubling and I'd like to know what is in those contracts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought PS2 has sold closer to 140 million worldwide? If that figure is wrong it kind of puts all their other figures into doubt. I dont think there is any doubt that PS3 has sold better than 360 worldwide though considering it came out 1-1.5 years after depending on region.

Either way i very much doubt they manufactured 20 million more consoles than they needed.

I don't know much about this stuff admittedly but what about breakages, defective returned consoles etc... prob usually negligable but worldwide and over the 10 year lifespan of PS2, it's likely to mount up...

Or maybe not? :p

I don't know much about this stuff admittedly but what about breakages, defective returned consoles etc... prob usually negligable but worldwide and over the 10 year lifespan of PS2, it's likely to mount up...

Or maybe not? :p

Might be true if the PS3, PS1 and the whole Nintendo family was a 100% reliability with a negative return rate. Sony has only reported shipments of 41,810,000 million PS3 since the end of October 2010.

I don't know why the PS2 is missing 20 million consoles or why the 360 is also missing a few but the numbers weren't generated consistently across the board and should be taken with a grain of salt. Unless, Tose knows why console shipment numbers published by manufacturers are all right excluding the PS2 and 360 which deserves their own set of uniquely calculated numbers.

Might be true if the PS3, PS1 and the whole Nintendo family was a 100% reliability with a negative return rate. Sony has only reported shipments of 41,810,000 million PS3 since the end of October 2010.

All the current consoles are reported as sold to retail. In the ps2 error the figure sonys figures were consoles manufactured. Im not sure what Sony previously reported PS1 sales as so i dont know how they compare.

All the current consoles are reported as sold to retail. In the ps2 error the figure sonys figures were consoles manufactured. Im not sure what Sony previously reported PS1 sales as so i dont know how they compare.

I doubt that Sony has close to 27 million PS2s sitting in inventory. Whats that like 3 billion dollars in Sony inventory devoted to one product thats near EOL? Highly unlikely. One reason Sony could get away with production figures last gen is that the PS2 sold so fast that retail sales versus shipment production numbers weren't that far apart to really matter. It only became an issue when they reported 5.5 million in production shipment for the PS3 for fiscal year 06 when in reality they had close to 2 million PS3 in inventory unsold.

Also, it should be noted that when Sony restated the PS3 sales for fy06 it went from 5.5 million down to 3.5 million while the PS2 and the PSP were restated there was an actual increase in unit sales (14.2 to 14.71 for the PS2 and 8.35 to 9.53 for the PSP).

… which is why companies switch to sales-through tracking. Intel, Creative tech, and others got hit by multi-million inventory mark down, obscelence or writeoffs. Sony is lucky to sell their PS3 Fat inventory since they don't revise their product line that quickly.

The numbers in finance reports have already been "massaged" to fit accounting rules. The raw sales-* and shipment numbers should be different (higher).

I doubt that Sony has close to 27 million PS2s sitting in inventory. Whats that like 3 billion dollars in Sony inventory devoted to one product thats near EOL? Highly unlikely. One reason Sony could get away with production figures last gen is that the PS2 sold so fast that retail sales versus shipment production numbers weren't that far apart to really matter. It only became an issue when they reported 5.5 million in production shipment for the PS3 for fiscal year 06 when in reality they had close to 2 million PS3 in inventory unsold.

Yes, which is why i initially suggested the 120mil figure must be wrong. Either that or 25mil warranty replacements right? How else could the 27mil difference in figures be explained?

The reason i mentioned the difference in accounting is because the PS3 figures from sony being equal to the figures from tose doesnt disprove it being down to warranty replacements in that case. I dont know what accounting practices were used for the PS1 or the Nintendo consoles though, if they are using munufactured numbers and are equal to the tose figures then obviously the PS2 figures are being treated differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back