Sony Q3 (Calendar Q4) Results - NPS profits...

So another quarter passes and more results come out...

03_image.jpg

05_image.jpg

09_image.jpg

14_image.jpg

15_image.jpg

Code:
Hardware Sales   Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr     FY       LTD

FY 2006/07         -        -       1.7      1.8      3.5      3.5

FY 2007/08        0.7      1.3      4.9      2.2      9.1      12.6 

FY 2008/09        1.6      2.4      4.5      1.6      10.1     22.7 

FY 2009/10        1.1      3.2      6.5      2.2      13.0     35.7

FY 2010/11        2.4      3.5      6.3       -       12.2     47.9

(thanks to Parmenides from NeoGAF for the chart).

Full information at Sony.net investor relations, here:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/index.html

SCE as a company made $530m up from $164m over the same period last year. PS3 is now a profitable device and ecosystem. PSN is expected to turn a profit over the coming financial year.

Despite 360's strong NPD numbers, we continue to learn that no country is an island onto itself. PS3 weathered the best quarter ever from 360 without losing ground, and the game/software business has been profitable for 5 consecutive quarters. This bodes well for the 2011 calendar year. Even PSN is projected to be profitable by the end of this year.

Despite 360's strong NPD numbers, we continue to learn that no country is an island onto itself. PS3 weathered the best quarter ever from 360 without losing ground, and the game/software business has been profitable for 5 consecutive quarters. This bodes well for the 2011 calendar year. Even PSN is projected to be profitable by the end of this year.

What's losing ground? It's been a long time since X360 tied a quarter with the PS3 in shipped numbers, and It's not like PS3 didn't have its share of major things last fall, namely Move and GT 5.

What's losing ground? It's been a long time since X360 tied a quarter with the PS3 in shipped numbers, and It's not like PS3 didn't have its share of major things last fall, namely Move and GT 5.
You misread. I didn't say anything or anybody lost ground that quarter. Also, 360 had the slim model! Let's put it this way, look at the numbers for PS3 slim launch. Follow it through to Dec. of last year.

On a side note, PS3 slim now outnumber the fat PS3s.

I didn't misread, I was asking definition for the words "losing ground", if PS3 was previously beating X360 in every quarter and now only tied I can see that as losing ground.

edit: PS3 slim launch was also accompanied by a price cut.

I didn't misread, I was asking definition for the words "losing ground", if PS3 was previously beating X360 in every quarter and now only tied I can see that as losing ground.

edit: PS3 slim launch was also accompanied by a price cut.
You keep missing the key word "not". If you want to you the context associated with "not losing ground", here it is. Worldwide console sales is what that was in reference to. Now, read the following quote again:

PS3 weathered the best quarter ever from 360 without losing ground...

You keep missing the key word "not". If you want to you the context associated with "not losing ground", here it is. Worldwide console sales is what that was in reference to. Now, read the following quote again:

I know YOU said PS3 didn't lose ground in that quarter, but I'm questioning it, because in my opinion PS3 did lose ground compared to X360 by only tying the quarter, when previously they did better.

I quess literally they didn't lose ground, because it was a tie...but performing worse than in the past compared to the competion can be seen as losing ground and that is what I was saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im waiting for the securities quarterly report, because it will show whether the PC/other is likely to become the dominate revenue generator of the NPS division or that the previous 2 quarters was just an anomaly.

Im waiting for the securities quarterly report, because it will show whether the PC/other is likely to become the dominate revenue generator of the NPS division or that the previous 2 quarters was just an anomaly.
Well, they did sell more PC's than last year, but they still sell more PS3's than PC's, and definitely much more software than PC's. Most likely as it said in the report, they finally reduced the PS3 costs enough to make a nice profit from each one sold. Besides the Vaio Z, I don't know of any Sony PC that I'd like to have. They're not much different or nicer than Dell Acer, HP, etc. Only the Vaio Z is something different, and it's super nice and super expensive.
Operating income increased 26.3 billion yen year-on-year to 45.7 billion yen (564 million U.S. dollars). This was mainly due to a significant improvement in the cost of sales ratio coupled with an increase in gross profit from higher sales, partially offset by unfavorable foreign exchange rates. The game business benefited from significant
cost reductions of PlayStation®3 (“PS3”) hardware and higher unit sales of PS3 software
, which favorably impacted the change in segment operating results (excluding restructuring charges).

I know YOU said PS3 didn't lose ground in that quarter, but I'm questioning it, because in my opinion PS3 did lose ground compared to X360 by only tying the quarter, when previously they did better.

I quess literally they didn't lose ground, because it was a tie...but performing worse than in the past compared to the competion can be seen as losing ground and that is what I was saying.
That doesn't make sense. You can't lose ground when there is a tie! You can't lose ground, if you are coming up from behind. When have you EVER heard of a racing commentator (cars, people, horses, etc.) say, "I can see that [insert name here] started the race late. He/she has been catching up, but now he/she isn't gaining more ground so far. Therefore, he/she is losing ground."

You haven't heard that before and you won't hear it in the future from a decent commentator. That's because it doesn't make any sense.

In the conference call they mentioned that game profits were up YoY by ¥28bn to ¥43bn. I don't know the exact time, but they do mention it. In previous quarters other products in NPS have actually been holding back SCE profits.

That doesn't make sense. You can't lose ground when there is a tie! You can't lose ground, if you are coming up from behind. When have you EVER heard of a racing commentator (cars, people, horses, etc.) say, "I can see that [insert name here] started the race late. He/she has been catching up, but now he/she isn't gaining more ground so far. Therefore, he/she is losing ground."

You haven't heard that before and you won't hear it in the future from a decent commentator. That's because it doesn't make any sense.

In the first order plot, which is just time vs. install base difference the two, Sony hasn't lost ground. However, in the second order plot, which is time vs. rate of install base gap decrease in favor of the PS3, Sony has indeed went from a positive number to zero, which is losing ground.

With them forecasting appx same numbers for software this should bode well for profit for next quarter because it is clear that PSP and PS2 are in decline, so, the only way for same sales would be an increase in PS3 software which along with that increase comes an increase in average selling price. This is really good news.

Hah :D

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1488199&postcount=31

I'm suprised, I thought 360 would have small advantage after old models price drop, Kinect and Slim models launch.

Actually, since they shipped 300k more than they did in 2009 last quarter and 200k less this quarter, an argument could be made that they DID over-ship last quarter.

Anyway, it's actually the next quarter I am most interested in as that will answer a couple of pending questions:

Can Sony ship 2.8M consoles in 4Q (a 600k YOY increase over the 2.2M they shipped in 4Q 2009 which was tied for the most they had ever shipped in that quarter) to hit their 15M target?

Is Microsoft's Kinect bump going to turn into sustained improved sales WW? (We'll already know about the US by then, of course.)

Actually, since they shipped 300k more than they did in 2009 last quarter and 200k less this quarter, an argument could be made that they DID over-ship last quarter.

Anyway, it's actually the next quarter I am most interested in as that will answer a couple of pending questions:

Can Sony ship 2.8M consoles in 4Q (a 600k YOY increase over the 2.2M they shipped in 4Q 2009 which was tied for the most they had ever shipped in that quarter) to hit their 15M target?

Is Microsoft's Kinect bump going to turn into sustained improved sales WW? (We'll already know about the US by then, of course.)
I'll go out on a limb here and predict that Sony will ship exactly 2.8 million consoles this quarter, which at a 27% YOY increase, with no price drop, is pretty impressive.

Back