Microsoft Earnings Report Fiscal Q2 2011

It was quite likely that they were involved in the discussions too as they too were a stakeholder in what Nokia did.

There's no way they sat down in a round table and MS discussed with Intel what they were offering Nokia. I'm sure Nokia discussed dropping Meego with Intel, but I very much doubt any details of the MS offer was discussed.

There's no way they sat down in a round table and MS discussed with Intel what they were offering Nokia. I'm sure Nokia discussed dropping Meego with Intel, but I very much doubt any details of the MS offer was discussed.
According to Nokia interviews they made a final MS decision thursday evening and on friday published an agreement at Barcelona. Intel was called thursday evening saying Meego went to a low priority Nokia R&D project.

Are you saying he lied?

I'm saying that if a person was just broken up with so that their partner could pursue a new relationship that maybe you shouldn't expect to get the most accurate assessment of that relationship from them.

Leaving the metaphorical, Otellini has every motivation to try to characterize this as being purely driven by financial considerations, whether accurate or not. He has to try to sell another partner on Meego now and it's to his advantage to create the perception that Nokia's moving away from it had nothing to do with Nokia believing they had a better chance of success going forward with WP7 than they did with Meego.

And, of course, there was the fact that he made 2 conflicting statements in the aftermath of the announcement first indicating that "he understood" why the decision was made and then later doing a complete about-face. Seems to me like he was unsure at first which direction he wanted to spin.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was only thinking that Nokia would have given Intel a chance to table a counter offer.

I was only thinking that Nokia would have given Intel a chance to table a counter offer.

Yes but I doubt there was an auction with $ numbers exchanging. MS makes an offer to get Nokia onto WP7, Intel was told Nokia was considering and they didn't sweeten the deal enough for them to change their mind.

And $5billion cash is still beyond ludicrous.

Yes but I doubt there was an auction with $ numbers exchanging. MS makes an offer to get Nokia onto WP7, Intel was told Nokia was considering and they didn't sweeten the deal enough for them to change their mind.

And $5billion cash is still beyond ludicrous.

It'd certainly be enough to make some educated guesses about the oppositions counter offer given he knew what kind of offer Intel tabled which Microsoft obviously bettered.

IMO: This is an excellent move, theres no easier way to get to 2nd/3rd/1st place than by making yourself look like you're destined for that position. Effectively all they have to do now is continue to release good products because the hard work has effectively just been done for them. Noone will now bet that WP7 won't in the least become one of the big three platforms on the market, this is what bkillian spoke of when he said Microsoft likes to make big moves which may benefit them down the track. They may even make first place which would have sounded crazy several years back.

That's assuming cash up front was a deciding factor, which I find doubtful. If it was, then that company is headed to bankruptcy.

Rather it's far more likely that after looking at Microsofts presentation, factoring level of support, amount of R&D required for both systems, cost of going to market, etc. that they found WP7 a compelling enough product to move forward with it.

It may be that MS licensing some of the Nokia technologies (presumably for use in WP7) had some factor to play in all this, but at the end of the day Nokia has to determine what is the best direction for the company to take in order to stay relevant in the mobile phone market.

Regards,
SB

My friends in the WP7 team are currently just hoping that using "finnish" in place of "finish" in team emails will die down soon.

*crossing the finnish line*

At least they don't have an instant echo every time they say 'developers'. I.E.

Developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers!!!!

That's assuming cash up front was a deciding factor, which I find doubtful. If it was, then that company is headed to bankruptcy.

Rather it's far more likely that after looking at Microsofts presentation, factoring level of support, amount of R&D required for both systems, cost of going to market, etc. that they found WP7 a compelling enough product to move forward with it.

It may be that MS licensing some of the Nokia technologies (presumably for use in WP7) had some factor to play in all this, but at the end of the day Nokia has to determine what is the best direction for the company to take in order to stay relevant in the mobile phone market.

Regards,
SB

I thought all the cash up front was for the monteziation Nokia was giving up with WP7 on Nokia phones? Apps/Zune marketplace, Bing and mobile advertising will be huge revenue streams if Nokia's WP7 gain a big chunk of the smartphone market.

Back