Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

@parolePSVR has nice (generally doesn’t pull any punches), concise reviews on YT (as PSVR Without Parole). Good for them to get the chance to get involved like this.
Yes Im glad he has some recignition now as he was only into psvr for so many dead years wihtouht any Sony help

I'm looking forward to getting my PlayStation Hat2 in a few weeks. I ordered the hardware-only bundle and I'll decide on the games once the reviews starting coming in the week before, although I expect to put a stupid amount of time in No Man's Sky! :yes:

I am waiting to see more of Horizon Call of the Mountain, and despite having not played Gran Turismo for decades, I would definitely splash out for GT7 if the VR implementation is good. They released a Gran Turismo demo for PSVR which was fantastic apart from the lack of resolution and details and actual cars.

Seen that one coming.

-Nobody wants tethered VR in 2023..
-No real stand out games
-Overpriced

This thing was always going to just appeal to the people who are already fans of VR... not bring in new people. Way too expensive for mass market adoption.. and too limiting in what you can do with it. To be a successful VR device, you need to be a stand alone device which can connect to PC at the very least.

What Sony should have done was create a VR headset that was essentially the Quest 2, and have the ability to connect to PC or PS5. Make some banger VR titles and release them for PS5 and PC, all with cross-play.. and also create titles for the headset itself. That way you hit every market. The user has the flexibility they want, and you're making money off game sales on all 3 platforms. That would give it the best chance for success IMO.

Reason for underwhelming sells imo: terrible marketing based mostly on ps blog, not enough aaa games (to be honest only two: gt7 and quite old now Village). Sadly also price tough im happy they went for highend hw as it will be for next 6 years at least.

At that price during this economy, I'm not surprised it's not selling well. However, it has potential, if VR impresses, for long growth. If the content is truly transformative, it'll start to win people over.

Also, forecasts are dropped from 2 million units Launch quarter to 1 million. A million headsets isn't too bad considering! They probably needed PSVR1 compatiblity to get 2 million launch sales with PSVR upgraders, who have less reason to upgrade at high cost now their back catalogue doesn't inherently run on the next-gen hardware.

Back