Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

Impression about the VR headset from journalist trying it at CES.

Impression about the VR headset from journalist trying it at CES.
Realy possitive feedback, some qutoes:
Playing Horizon Call of the Mountain on PSVR2 was an immense experience – for me PS5's VR kit is a must buy
At $550, the PSVR 2 isn’t cheap — $150 more than the self-contained Quest 2. And again, with the PSVR 2, you also need a $500 PS5 on top of this. That said, you get what you pay for, and the PSVR 2 feels much more like a high-end PC VR experience than the original PSVR ever did.
The PlayStation VR 2 is one of the best VR headsets I’ve ever used. The high-resolution OLED display provides colourful and vibrant pictures, while the power of the PS5 can run highly detailed worlds with unprecedented levels of immersion. There’s also plenty of potential for features such as eye tracking and the haptic feedback.

The high price will be a stumbling block for many, as will the requirement to be connected to a PS5. But if Sony is able to provide more experience as immersive and engaging as Horizon Call of the Mountain, then the PSVR 2 has the potential to overshadow even the PS5 console itself.

For the bubble people who have only used PSVR, having the new controllers alone will put them on a higher plane of existence. Man those move controllers are terrible. But then not all games use them. Lots of gamepad and aim controller games too.

It's not even the move controller tracking. The tracking works pretty well. It's just that the button layout is too limited and always confusing. And some of the buttons are hard to find blind. So bad.

Last edited:
PD wont be releasing a gt game with performance issues, they never have. Graphics settings and resolution seem to have been paired back for the psvr2, most likely to keep performance acceptable.

I've experienced some huge frame drops in GT7 on my PS5. The most noticeable was when using very fast cars on the Tokyo express 600 event at a particular corner but none the less.

crap....

this is sony. it could be just few modes in VR...

please full game pls

If it's a restriction to say races of 12 cars or less that would rule out a lot of the campaign.

Hopefully it was a CPU limited issue on the PS4 with GT Sport and that the PS5 has enough CPU capability to process the (lacklustre) AI and manage higher frame rates needed for VR.

From the second youtube video:

On the way to work today I started listening to the latest PSVR Without Parole Podcast. Wes Dillon had been on the show floor at CES and tried the PSVR2 for the first time - so far the only game you can demo at the show is Horizon.

Now Wes was unlocky enough that his unit become borked in the latter half of the 30 minute demo (hardware failure or low battery in the controller possibly - other Youtubers he talked with had zero issues). Also, the attendant would not let him turn off comfort and locomotion options he did not need so he will try again to get an appointment today. The other attendants let Wes' colleague turn everything off. But here are some of the takeaways I remember:

Comfort:
Feels like the PSVR1 comfortwise. Materials feel more premium. Forgot all about the cable after he started playing.

Regarding the panels and HDR:
Of all the headsets Wes has ever tried (and he plays with highend PC gear) he's never seen colours this good in VR. It floored him.
Black levels and contrast was outstanding.

The Eye-tracking:
He tried deliberately to break it in order to see how good it was at keeping up. Result: very good. Only in a few cases did he manage to notice the foveated eyetracked rendering by moving his head very quickly and looking straight at a corner of the screen.

The Inside out and controller tracking:
Again, he tried to break it. Kept controller stationary behind his back and then moved it suddenly in view. He thought he actually did catch it out because his hand wasn't there but that turned out to be because the hand was caught under the edge of the boat in the virtual world:D.

Regarding the game itself:
Now in some ways this is definetely "baby's first AAA VR" (my interpretation, not Wes's words). People new to VR worried that they might not be able to handle it should have no worries. The dodging in the combat scenes is done by you doing a lunge or pull motion with your hands. Sounded like this could not be changed to sticks. Will most likely be something everyone can handle and strafing in VR can be tough for beginners and even some veterans.

The game looks stunning. Lots of interactive objects and above all, the physics are AAA VR. Now, this one I should probably explain to those of you who are new to VR. In many VR games, your hands only really exist physically when you pick up something, pull the trigger, push a button etc. What I mean is, that when it comes to walls, foliage, scenery, your hands just pass right through them.

In AAA VR titles (and some of the better indies) your hands are constant physical objects in the VR world. If you put your hand up against a wall, your will get haptic feedback - a subtle rumble telling you that you are touching something - and the virtual hand will animate according to the object you are pressing it against.

In Horizon, according to Wes, it's eeeverything that reacts properly to your hands touching things. The boat, foliage, rockwalls, the ground, objects that you aren't picking up. It's like Alyx or Lone Echo in that regard. And regarding the graphics, it's one of the prettiest games in all of VR. The only thing in the same league is Alyx. Also, the depth is amazing. You never feel that stuf in the background are just that - a static background. Even though it's not something you can travel to, it looks real and not just like a pretty wallpaper.

I am looking forward to getting my PlayStation Hat 2. :yes: I really hope Bethesda port Skyrim VR to PSVR2.

The ancient Move controllers let down Skyrim PSVR. 😞

The big publishers haven't appeared interested in returning to VR. They tested the waters in 2016-2017 and that was it.

On PC the modders overhauled everything for Skyrim VR. Full VR body, UI overhaul and full object interaction and most Skyrim SE mods work too. Fallout 4 VR didn't get the same level of attention. Apparently the interest isnt there to the same degree. Bethesda also didn't bother to support the DLC with Fallout 4 VR though it can be modded in.

But yeah the big publishers. Not many major upcoming releases with surprise announcements of PSVR2 support. It's not like they haven't known about it forever.

Last edited:
The big publishers haven't appeared interested in returning to VR. They tested the waters in 2016-2017 and that was it.

Big third parties have not, but Valve and Sony have. Although Sony definitely need to make a much bigger effort than they made with the original PSVR aka OG PlayStation Hat.

Big third parties have not, but Valve and Sony have. Although Sony definitely need to make a much bigger effort than they made with the original PSVR aka OG PlayStation Hat.
I read Alyx is coming to PSH2 but it has been very quiet on that front.

It's possible Valve has a new HMD in development, and that likely would mean a new game in development, which means there might be rivalry between them and PSH2.

Last edited:
Back