Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

It's possible Valve has a new HMD in development, and that likely would mean a new game in development, which means there might be rivalry between them and PSH2.
Sony have yet to announce whether PSVR2 will be supported on PC, which introduces the question of whether PSVR2 will compete with any future PC-centric VR headsets. PSVR2 specs are pretty good for the price which may mean Sony will limit PSVR2 for use with PS5 for a spell.

Even if PSVR2 competes with future VR headsets in the PC space, any future Valve headset is unlikely to compete with PSVR2 on PS5. So why would valve not release VR games on PS5?

imagine a matrix game (based on the first movie for example, not the bad last one) were you would play the "real" parts on you console, and put the vr headset for the matrix parts, and even a two player mode where the "operator" would play on his console , guiding you, while you are in VR.

Sony have yet to announce whether PSVR2 will be supported on PC, which introduces the question of whether PSVR2 will compete with any future PC-centric VR headsets. PSVR2 specs are pretty good for the price which may mean Sony will limit PSVR2 for use with PS5 for a spell.

Even if PSVR2 competes with future VR headsets in the PC space, any future Valve headset is unlikely to compete with PSVR2 on PS5. So why would valve not release VR games on PS5?
im pretty sure it'll be hacked to run on PC in its 1st year.

although hopefully there wont be any kind of DRM on it, and its actually doing pretty standard stuff, so it'll mostly be just the case of making a translation layer

The big publishers haven't appeared interested in returning to VR. They tested the waters in 2016-2017 and that was it.

But yeah the big publishers. Not many major upcoming releases with surprise announcements of PSVR2 support. It's not like they haven't known about it forever.
Given Ubisoft's financial woes and the publishers facing the same pressures, isn't VR going to be considered too niche to invest in? Short of a 'VR Worlds' with ongoing monetisation.

im pretty sure it'll be hacked to run on PC in its 1st year.

although hopefully there wont be any kind of DRM on it, and its actually doing pretty standard stuff, so it'll mostly be just the case of making a translation layer
But what will hacking give without software support ? Without sony first party games and proper foveated rendering and hapticks in 3rd party titles its just another vr headset (with exception of having oled and hdr).

The big publishers haven't appeared interested in returning to VR. They tested the waters in 2016-2017 and that was it.
Isnt Capcom big publisher ? They returned with Village and tease some re4 renake vr support.

But what will hacking give without software support ? Without sony first party games and proper foveated rendering and hapticks in 3rd party titles its just another vr headset (with exception of having oled and hdr).
I mean including those things.

Like how dualsense HD vibrators and adaptive triggers can be hacked to work with non supported games.

I really like it in Cyberpunk2077. Really make driving feels much more immersive (I even able to feel poor regions have more road patches/potholes).

For eye tracking, psvr2 use tobii. So someone didn't need to do blind reverse engineering. Assuming Sony didn't change much from standard tobii

For eye tracking, psvr2 use tobii. So someone didn't need to do blind reverse engineering. Assuming Sony didn't change much from standard tobii
But dev needs to support foveated renedering in their games properly. Who will do it for not supported device ? I see modders could add it to some titles but I wouldnt bother with device without official support to be honest.

But dev needs to support foveated renedering in their games properly. Who will do it for not supported device ? I see modders could add it to some titles but I wouldnt bother with device without official support to be honest.
Yep! All of the exclusive features will be mostly from modders I suspect.

Like how most pc games ignores dualsense exclusive features

Reactions: snc
Isnt Capcom big publisher ? They returned with Village and tease some re4 renake vr support.
Yeah but that is a Sony exclusive which means it is almost certainly paid for by Sony. Those are also just quality ports and on the same engine so aren't even entirely separate efforts.

I'm more curious about how Horizon Call of the Mountain turns out. That seems like a more significant investment because it is built specifically for VR. But they have a smaller studio on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: snc

Bear in mind that PC headsets will be introducing eye tracking around the same timeframe as the PSVR2 release so we should expect games to support the technology on PC natively too.

I'm more curious about how Horizon Call of the Mountain turns out. That seems like a more significant investment because it is built specifically for VR. But they have a smaller studio on it.
Im more interested in hybrid games like Village and Gt7. Thats the path of possible psvr2 success. Smaller specificaly vr targeted games are nice addition but cant belive they will ever have same budget as proper aaa game (Half life alyx was one exception).

Yeah but that is a Sony exclusive which means it is almost certainly paid for by Sony. Those are also just quality ports and on the same engine so aren't even entirely separate efforts.

it seems they are also still trying to understand VR.

for example, in horizon call of mountain, you pull a bow/arrow and it automatically lost tracking due to the camera position and the IR LED locations.

but instead of doing this, resulting in "hand locked in space, but still can pivot to aim"
  1. Camera cannot track controller
  2. STOP updating controller position
  3. START to exclusively use gyro and accelerometer
it did

1. Camera cannot track controller
  2. use all available data to guess controller position
resulting in "how the F am i supposed to aim if my hand jitters

It looks like modding the PSVR2 will be very hard to have an unofficial support on PC and not possible before at least 5 years. This is a dev of behind iVRy Driver for SteamVR. If the PSVR 2 work on PC it will be a Sony decision.

You would be wasting your money, as there is no guarantee you could ever use it on a PC, and quite a good chance that you won't be able to. The original PSVR is (electronically) equivalent to a monitor and so it it is relatively simple to get a video signal up on it. Reading sensors etc. took a lot of reverse engineering, and at least a year from release before anyone figured that out. It then took a couple more years before it was usable as a PC VR headset. Tracking and controllers (using the original hardware) is still very much a work in progress, over 5 years from release. That is without Sony making any effort to prevent non PS4 users from using it.

Even if they haven't [encrypted headset data] it would take a lot of reverse engineering (read several years) just to get an image on the headset. Then there is the tracking, which would need to be developed, as there isn't a ready-made SLAM tracker available for Windows (assuming of course the camera protocol was reverse-engineered). Then the controllers etc. etc.

I figure if Sony doesn't release Windows drivers for it then forget about it.

Last edited:
The main appeal of PSVR for PC was the low price. Now you find equivalent hardware compatible with PC in the same Price range, it's not intersting to have PSVR2 on PC i think, if Sony does not support it officially.

Last edited:
Seems the dev was speculating. A speculation that made sense tho.

Btw do we really know that the tracking was done by PS5 instead of the headset itself?

IIRC the headset got a mediatek soc. But not sure it was used for what

Back