Sony KLVS26A10 LCD HDTV

pascal

Veteran
I am thinking about a TV for the multimedia room (PC and HDTV room).
The new Sony KLVS26A10 LCD HDTV looks like a good option. The requirements are:

- 720p native resolution.
- fast, with good colours and black levels.
- adequate for SD TV, DVD and console games.
- view distance is 7 feet (2.2m) then 26" will be ok.
- dvi (or HDMI), componente, s-video and composite.
- $1200 budget.

Thanks for any info/comments/advice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
CNet didn't think too much of the 32" version of this TV, but I always feel that as long as the person buying it is satisfied, then who cares what others think? It wasn't easy finding user comments or reviews from my brief attempt at websearching, but some random guy at AVSforum has one and likes it. Another guy at Amazon also gave it a favorable rating, so maybe the 32" version isn't overall as good as the 26", or CNet is a bit of an anomaly. Who can say for sure. :D

As I've already posted, I have a Sony LCD TV since a couple months. It doesn't have as many inputs as the one you're getting and the screen is relatively small at 17", but I'm very happy with it. The LCD panel is of outstanding quality (apart from some blur, meh), and it's got all the essential inputs for current and future consoles (composite, S-video, VGA, DVI), though only one of each.

I hope you're satisfied. I certainly am. :)

I would stay well far from Sony's TVs. Overpriced and really you don't get value for the money.

Hitachi, Panasonic, Toshiba all have much better sets at better prices.

Philips are good too but they're also overpriced.

You should try visiting avsforum.com it's very helpful

Thanks for the Info Guden Oden.
I dont have the TV yet. I am just considering buy it.
Yes, it is hard to find information (specially reviews) about LCD HDTV.

AFAIK Sony launched two new LCD HDTV series this year which today are under the "BRAVIA" brand, called s-series and v-series (which also has the XBR brand, more expensive, more stylish case, more features and maybe faster LCD (not confirmed) than the s-series).

I found this not so old review about the klvs23a10 (s-series 23") with the old WEGA brand: http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvreviews/sony-klvs23a10-review.shtml

I also found this interresting thread about the KDL-V32XBR1: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=580736&page=1

In fact I am studing three popular new possibilities:
- Samsung LN-R2668W (26", 12ms rated LCD, some complains about tearing (need firmware update), some complains about poor picture quality and colour fidelity, but no ghost complain)
- Sony KLVS26A10 (26", s-series, maybe 12ms but no confirmation, owners are proud about colours fidelity and picture quality, but maybe some ghost)
- Sony KDLV26XBR1 (26", v-series, maybe 8ms but no confirmation, better than the KLVS26A10, has gama control, HDTV tuner, but more expensive)

I agree with you london-boy that some Sony´s TVs are overpriced but not all.
Part of the price come from the features and embedded electronics that sometimes are not necessary for all users.

I have been searching threads in the www.avsforum.com and www.avforums.com. I was thinking that maybe people here (specially the console fans) could have more info.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to pimp the Samsung SlimFit again as that is the best picture I have seen from a TV meeting your requirements. They don't list HDMI in the specs for some odd reason, but if you look at one in a store or check out the manual you will see that the TV does have a HDMI input as well as all the other listed connections. Also, 7' is a long way away from a 26" TV, THX recommendations would be like 3' on a 26" widescreen and while I don't mind sitting a good bit further back than recommended, well over twice that distance just seems like a bad idea.

I have seen and tested the Samsung Slimfit. It looks good but the problem is it is heavy (more than twice of a 32" LCD) and deeper, and cost more than US$2,500.00 here in Brazil. If I try to import the shipping will cost much more.

I tested the viewing distance with my old 29" wega CRT using a widescreen dvd movie (simulating a 25" 16:9 screen) and 6~7 feet was acceptable for me. Depending on price maybe a 32" could be an option.

Wow, nearly 3x the retail price is far to o much to pay even if you weren't so conserned about weight and depth. With prices as wonky as that I don't have a clue as to what to recomend, or even what your options would be. That Sony seems to be priced right anyway and a respectable TV as LCDs go, I suppose it might be your best bet.

Thanks london-boy :)
This is a great set with a good price. IIRC the equivalent in US is the LN-R32W with 12ms TV.
There is also a new Samsung RDs series with rated 8ms.

Samsung and Sony are sharing the same flat panels factory in Korea, but with different production lines, different teams, projects and QA.

Now the table is:
- Samsung LN-R2668W - $900 (26", 12ms rated LCD, some complains about tearing (need firmware update), some complains about poor picture quality and colour fidelity, but no ghost complain)
- Samsung LN-R269D - $1200 (26", 8ms rated LCD, some complains about tearing (need firmware update), some complains about poor picture quality and colour fidelity, but no ghost complain, more expensive and faster than LN-R2668W)
- Sony KLVS26A10 - $1200 (26", s-series, 8ms rated grey-to-grey, owners are proud about colours fidelity and picture quality, but maybe some ghost)
- Sony KDLV26XBR1 $1550 (26", v-series XBR, 8ms rated grey-to-grey, better than the KLVS26A10, has gama control, increased contrast range, HDTV tuner, but more expensive)

Thanks all. I will do more search and will post what I find interresting.

Thanks all

Some info about Samsung/Sony joint venture in LCD: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=592696

Technically the panel is made by the S-LCD Company of S. Korea. This is the joint venture company set up by Sony and Samsung at a cost estimated to be $1.8 billion. Since only Samsung has experience with LCD manufacturing and the factory is in Korea, many of the employees are former Samsung employees. However, I assume that Sony engineers had a large input into the process.

I also read somewhere that Samsung owns 1 more share in this company than Sony. However, an investment of $900 million dollars gives Sony alot of say in what goes on in the factory even if the glass comes off the same production line.

This factory also provides LCDs for JVC products. The Sony and JVC are assembled in Japan and are marked "made in Japan". This factory produces only 26", 32", and 40" LCD panels.

I work in the LCD industry and have for over 10 years. 80% of the glass in the world is manufactured by the top three. The last I read from Display Search Samsung took over the number one spot, LG/Philips is second and AUO is a distant third.

That said I have some knowledge of the Samsung/Sony JV. It is a glass factory and glass factory only. Assembly is done somewhere else. Sony invested in the fab because they were loosing a lot of credibilty in the consumer market space. LCD was obviously the wave of the futre and they had no real investment in it to date. Even the desktop displays were someone elses. The Sony rep the original author spoke to was espousing sales speak. There are no walls, the factory is a true joint venture where a new company was formed a la LG/Philips. The glass is sold to many other companies besides Sony and Samsung. The JV fab is an SPVA fab which Samsung holds the patents too. SPVA is widely considered the best glass in the world becuase of a more accurate white point and a truer black.

The easiest way to tell if a device is using SPVA is super high contrast. The other technologies TN, IPS and MVA don't even come close. Even the predessor PVA isn't close. I would be careful to generalize and bash a true OEM like Samsung. It is likely that something you have in your stable of goods or at least a good portion of it came out of a Samsung factory. Then agian these are just my thoughts.

london-boy said:

This is the same set I'm getting, do a search and you will see them for around £850, I'm waiting till next year to see what they drop too. Pretty much every X360 console I've seen running as been demonstrated on one of these, not the 32" but the smaller variants so must be good, can't imagine M$ showing their console off on a crappy LCD.

I've been doing some research for a new (27 - 32") TV for our bedroom and have looked at the new Bravia line as well (the XBR, I can get it for 1400). It seems to get rave reviews at AVS for PQ and apparently has very little to no smearing (great for games).

Go figure, I was planning on just buying a Sharp Aquos since those used to be the best mass market line but perhaps the Bravia (with it's new CCFL) tops the Sharp. Note, I believe a new Sharp line is due out soon so things may swing back towards Sharp.

The new LCDs are finale available in Brazil.
The Samsung LN-R268W is more expensive than the Sony KLV-S26A10 and has no support for PAL-M :oops:
The Sony is trinorm (PAL-M, PAL-N and NTSC).

IMHO it is:
- too heavy (54Kg) and will bend some furniture
- still has some depth
- no info about the physical grid or native resolution
- probably most HDTV content will be downscalled by unknown factor
- no 720p support
- image quality is no better than sony wega crt tv

I am thinking about wait until the first low cost LED-backlight LCDs come out in seven months. It promisse:
- lower cost
- lower power consumption (-40%)
- faster response time (5ms), maybe no ghost or blur anymore
- better contrast
Probably LCDs will be the mainstream with the best set of attributes of all current techs (crt, dlp, plasma, lcd).

My sis probably will visit US in feb next year. May be I should get a cheap and good HDTV from her. Will an US set work in India, NTSC->PAL, power (AC)? I also need to find if any import tax etc is charged on such buyings. Is there any good CRT HDTV with 720p/1080i (native) , HDMI/DVI/16:9 etc for under $700-800?

US sets are for NTSC. PAL signals will not work.

The cost of shipping will be very high for a heavy CRT. And you have to the import tax.
Better look for something available in India. Or a cheap and light wheight LCD from US.
Some people are talking about the Viewsonic n2750w (27", 8ms, 720p native resolution, NTSC). It is cheap (<US$700). Probably the n2750w doesnt have the best SDTV upscaller but will be good for games :) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889107001

I have the same problem of you.

Back