Sony Game Studios Acquisitions [2022]

Interesting to see how the value of Bungie has changed pre and post Halo/Destiny.

Microsoft's acquisition of Bungie is estimated to have been between 20 and 40 million USD in 2000. That would be ~32 to 64 million USD adjusted for inflation.

Bungie were much more affordable before they made Halo and Destiny. :p

Regards,
SB

MY question is what does Bungie have that is worth 3.6B ? MS paid $8B for Bethesda and they have multiple high selling franchises. Hasn't Bungie only released one franchise with 2 games and expansions since they sperated from MS ? Do they own any pre MS ip ?

loets goooooooooo ownership wars have begun!!
A great get for them. Bungie have great experience is handling large scale instanced gaming.

Truly the right group to get if you're looking to have a larger play in multiplayer, you could use that Bungie help.

I wonder if MS participated in bidding wars but - considering that Jason said that the talks started 5-6 months ago - as soon as ATVI opportunity arised (and it started 3 months ago) they decided to let Bungie go. Zenimax was a steal.

MY question is what does Bungie have that is worth 3.6B ? MS paid $8B for Bethesda and they have multiple high selling franchises. Hasn't Bungie only released one franchise with 2 games and expansions since they sperated from MS ? Do they own any pre MS ip ?

This is basically about Sony getting into GAAS. Bungie have a lot of experience in that area.

Almost all of Sony's current internal studio lineup are developers with a focus on single player experiences with limited multiplayer in some cases. Bungie brings experience with larger scale and persistent multiplayer experience.

Sony is also currently lacking studios with a proven track record in first person shooters. That's likely a bit more a concern for them if MS decides to make COD exclusive at some point in the future. While I doubt MS will do that, Sony can't just "hope" that Microsoft will keep COD multi-console.

However, that second point is likely secondary to the first. Interestingly, Sony used to have a few studios with extensive experience in GAAS under the SOE umbrella. But they divested themselves of SOE a few years back. Now they are in a situation where they want to get back into GAAS.

Regards,
SB

Sony needed ot make a move that would ensure that FPS was still a valid category of game to play on their console. Otherwise in 3-5 years time with no CODs, no Halos, no Dooms, etc. You're stuck between battlefield, apex legends and destiny. I think this made the most sense considering what was left. Letting Bungie go to MS would put Sony in a precarious situation. Bungie the team has a lot to offer.

It's a good acquisition, interesting that MS didn't bite on it.

This is basically about Sony getting into GAAS. Bungie have a lot of experience in that area.

Almost all of Sony's current internal studio lineup are developers with a focus on single player experiences with limited multiplayer in some cases. Bungie brings experience with larger scale and persistent multiplayer experience.

Sony is also currently lacking studios with a proven track record in first person shooters. That's likely a bit more a concern for them if MS decides to make COD exclusive at some point in the future. While I doubt MS will do that, Sony can't just "hope" that Microsoft will keep COD multi-console.

However, that second point is likely secondary to the first. Interestingly, Sony used to have a few studios with extensive experience in GAAS under the SOE umbrella. But they divested themselves of SOE a few years back. Now they are in a situation where they want to get back into GAAS.

Regards,
SB

I don't disagree that they need First person shooters. Its what I suggest in the previous thread. I just think they over spent on the studio.

As for SOE , It be funny if MS bought SOE now... I'd love a everquest 3....

Sony needed ot make a move that would ensure that FPS was still a valid category of game to play on their console. Otherwise in 3-5 years time with no CODs, no Halos, no Dooms, etc. You're stuck between battlefield, apex legends and destiny. I think this made the most sense considering what was left. Letting Bungie go to MS would put Sony in a precarious situation. Bungie the team has a lot to offer.

You forgot fortnite.

MS will have their hands busy with activision. Bungie is small fries compared to the complexity of absorbing something as big as activision.

I also don't see what they would gain from Bungie at this point. They already had a strained releationship and frankly now MS is over flowing with Shooter ips.

I think MS should go after studios that create story driven third person action games. It's where they are weakest

You forgot fortnite.

MS will have their hands busy with activision. Bungie is small fries compared to the complexity of absorbing something as big as activision
yea I'm not sure how Sony could buy Epic from Tencent.
I think Bungie was the most obvious choice here to shore up talent and keep protected in case things go south for their FPS community.

I don't know what MS is going to acquire, I really don't see much left for them. MMOs they have solid experience with already. They just need to produce content and look at a lot of smaller titles that will entice mobile gamers to try out game pass.

Sony did the right thing here at least with respect to keeping their own business secure for the next 10 years.

Yeah. GAAS money is strong and Bungie seems to have a knack at that. Weird timeline though.
I think they did, however when ATVI opportunity appeared they probably decided to leave the bidding war. 3.6B is a half Zenimax.

But it should simplify ATVI deal for regulators.

Yeah. GAAS money is strong and Bungie seems to have a knack at that. Weird timeline though.
is it though?
Perspective is important.
If there is serious fear that Amazon, Google and Facebook are going to enter the market, what should the existing incumbents do? Bend over and take it? Google, Amazon and FB have tons more cash than Sony and Nintendo do and can easily hoover up the whole market between the 3 of them.

It's likely that it was a non-starter for Microsoft as part of the requirement (from Bungie's perspective) for any acquisition deal was Bungie remaining an independent studio. While MS under Phil Spencer is allowing Microsoft Studios greater flexibility with what games they want to develop and how they want to develop their games, they are still under the control of Microsoft.

I don't disagree that they need First person shooters. Its what I suggest in the previous thread. I just think they over spent on the studio.

As for SOE , It be funny if MS bought SOE now... I'd love a everquest 3....

MS currently has no lack of studio experience with GAAS after their acquisitions. They even have an MMO (Elder Scrolls Online) as part of their games portfolio now.

So, Daybreak Studios don't currently really have anything to offer them. And while development continues on EQ, it's very much a small niche of gamers that they are catering to.

MS's acquisitions are focused on either [1] broad gamer appeal or [2] targetted niche genres that fill a gap in MS's game portfolio.

Personally, I'd love if EQ had greater funding. Well maybe not. I've currently stopped playing MMOs because they are the only gaming genre that I find irresistibly addictive. And I don't currently need or desire anything in my life that triggers any sort of addictive behavior that might cause me to neglect more important aspects of my life. :)

Regards,
SB

yea I'm not sure how Sony could buy Epic from Tencent.
I think Bungie was the most obvious choice here to shore up talent and keep protected in case things go south for their FPS community.

I don't know what MS is going to acquire, I really don't see much left for them. MMOs they have solid experience with already. They just need to produce content and look at a lot of smaller titles that will entice mobile gamers to try out game pass.

Sony did the right thing here at least with respect to keeping their own business secure for the next 10 years.

Sony already owns part of EPIC https://www.polygon.com/22381613/ep...e-ownership-funding-round-metaverse-statement

So I dunno what they would have to do there

LIke I said in regards to MS they have a bunch of W/CRPGs , Racers, Shooters and strategy games. They are lacking the 3rd person adventure games imo. It matches up with what i've heard about previous and current acquisition attempts

It's likely that it was a non-starter for Microsoft as part of the requirement (from Bungie's perspective) for any acquisition deal was Bungie remaining an independent studio. While MS under Phil Spencer is allowing Microsoft Studios greater flexibility with what games they want to develop and how they want to develop their games, they are still under the control of Microsoft.

MS currently has no lack of studio experience with GAAS after their acquisitions. They even have an MMO (Elder Scrolls Online) as part of their games portfolio now.

So, Daybreak Studios don't currently really have anything to offer them. And while development continues on EQ, it's very much a small niche of gamers that they are catering to.

MS's acquisitions are focused on either [1] broad gamer appeal or [2] targetted niche genres that fill a gap in MS's game portfolio.

Personally, I'd love if EQ had greater funding. Well maybe not. I've currently stopped playing MMOs because they are the only gaming genre that I find irresistibly addictive. And I don't currently need or desire anything in my life that triggers any sort of addictive behavior that might cause me to neglect more important aspects of my life. :)

Regards,
SB

Listen. If I had the power I would make MS buy EA and reboot all the past franchies included Ultima and make a sequel to Ultima online. Next I would have them Buy SOE or whatever it is now and have them Reboot Everquest and SWG . Those games were amazing

Rumors around the net are funny.

General Rumors Summary: This was 5-6 months in the making, they were talking with Microsoft, but were dropped when the Activision/Blizzard acquisition came about, and Bungie was asking for less from Microsoft

A tweet about the price:
"wonder why xbox didn't buy them for that price."
"Bungie actually asked MSFT for less lol."

Sony already owns part of EPIC https://www.polygon.com/22381613/ep...e-ownership-funding-round-metaverse-statement

So I dunno what they would have to do there

LIke I said in regards to MS they have a bunch of W/CRPGs , Racers, Shooters and strategy games. They are lacking the 3rd person adventure games imo. It matches up with what i've heard about previous and current acquisition attempts

Sony own a little over 2% of Epic. Tencent owns 40% of Epic. There's a rather large difference in scale there.

Regards,
SB

If there is serious fear that Amazon, Google and Facebook are going to enter the market, what should the existing incumbents do? Bend over and take it? Google, Amazon and FB have tons more cash than Sony and Nintendo do and can easily hoover up the whole market between the 3 of them.
I wonder if this deal happened because MS went after Activision and left the talks while Sony grabbed Bungie. Maybe Sony and Microsoft act in unison to fend off other big tech giants. Would be hilarious though considering console wars.

Rumors around the net are funny.

General Rumors Summary: This was 5-6 months in the making, they were talking with Microsoft, but were dropped when the Activision/Blizzard acquisition came about, and Bungie was asking for less from Microsoft

A tweet about the price:
"wonder why xbox didn't buy them for that price."
"Bungie actually asked MSFT for less lol."

The bungie talks have been going on for awhile but never got locked down. I think they were both circling around and feeling each other out. There is history with the two companies obviously. But look at phil's comments about how the MS of today wouldn't have gotten to a point where bungie would have left.

I think for MS Activision is a better purchase. I think for Sony bungie is a better purchase. So both made out in this turn of events

Back