Sony Game Studios Acquisitions [2022]

I think only the first 2 games came out on PC, but XL/2097 had the in house soundtrack and not the licensed one. Honestly, hovercraft racing games are kind of a niche now, and I think the rise to more sim-like titles (Gran Turismo, and later Forza) and open world racers (the PS2 Need for Speeds, Project Gotham) sucked all the air out of the racing genre. We pretty much have those types of games and kart racers left.

Which was too bad, one of the only racing genres i liked (if we dont count SSX).

Sony will acquire Jade Raymond's new studio that is working on a live service multiplayer game for PlayStation.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...haven-studios-sonys-first-developer-in-canada

PlayStation to buy Jade Raymond's Haven Studios: Sony's first developer in Canada
The studio is working on an exclusive live service game for PS5

PlayStation has agreed to fully acquire Haven Studios, the development team led by Assassin's Creed, Star Wars and Google games veteran Jade Raymond.

Sony will acquire Jade Raymond's new studio that is working on a live service multiplayer game for PlayStation.
I love that she is described as a "Google games veteran". Like, WTF. Ah yes, Google Games. :yep2:

Also, I generally dislike the term 'veteran' being applied to any field where you are unlikely to be killed as a result of your chosen career path. "Been around a long time and not dead" is more an accurate moniker for developers. Although death by cheetos may be a thing.

What has Jade Raymond done apart from the first Assassins Creed? Why is she held in such a high regard?
Assassins Creed and when she ran Motive she pushed out Star Wars Squadrons.

fairly big wins imo. The gam industry lacks studio heads, there aren’t many. And there aren’t many up and coming ones either. That’s why it’s easier to buy studios than make them.

Wonder if their game will be PS exclusive or multiplatform, given it's multiplayer. I'm interested to see what it is. They're presumably picking up from whatever Stadia project Raymond and team were working on.

Also, I generally dislike the term 'veteran' being applied to any field where you are unlikely to be killed as a result of your chosen career path.
Your kidding, right? Takes grizzled veterans to fight their way through the full game campaign. Red Dead Redemption 2 - you weren't there man!

(Okay, why is gaming parlance sharing more with military concepts than artistic ones?? Although given how it sounds at some studios, 'veteran' coming out emotionally damaged sounds about right)

I love that she is described as a "Google games veteran". Like, WTF. Ah yes, Google Games. :yep2:

Also, I generally dislike the term 'veteran' being applied to any field where you are unlikely to be killed as a result of your chosen career path. "Been around a long time and not dead" is more an accurate moniker for developers. Although death by cheetos may be a thing.
your flags under your name...

but I think they are using description 2 in the dictionary under veteran:
1a : a former member of the armed forces. b : an old soldier of long service. 2 : a person of long experience usually in some occupation or skill (such as politics or the arts)

Seems it meant old and experienced before the 20th century, where it's been largely associated with military duty. In short, there are so many WWIII veterans, Vietnam veterans, Afghanistan veterans, etc. that the word is mostly used these days for war and has thus shifted in balance. No particular reason to abandon it for other occupations, especially as I can't think of an alternative that so readily means "experienced and skilled from long service". eg. Expert - could just be theoretical university professor. Professional - doesn't convey lifetime of experience. The word is used more comfortably with the performance arts - "a veteran of stage and screen", "showbiz veteran".

I'd aways seen Veterans with a capitol V an American thing. I didn't bat an eyelid at Raymond being called one. Not least given the company's she's produced at...

Veteran is not a military term that is being borrowed by other generic fields. Its the other way around. It just so happens that IN ENGLISH common parlance, the word has been used so much more often in the military context than any other one that its meaning go so tightly associated with it.

We do have the same word in portuguese for example "veterano" yet in brazil, where we don't have much recent war history, the word is used way more often for every other possible context. Most common one probably beeing school kids describing their older peers!!!

We often say stuff like, "Yeah, I know Bobby, he is my uni veteran" meaning Bobby goes to the same university as you, but is one semester or more ahead of you.

Veteran is not a military term that is being borrowed by other generic fields. Its the other way around. It just so happens that IN ENGLISH common parlance, the word has been used so much more often in the military context than any other one that its meaning go so tightly associated with it.

We do have the same word in portuguese for example "veterano" yet in brazil, where we don't have much recent war history, the word is used way more often for every other possible context. Most common one probably beeing school kids describing their older peers!!!

We often say stuff like, "Yeah, I know Bobby, he is my uni veteran" meaning Bobby goes to the same university as you, but is one semester or more ahead of you.

Let me first state that I've seen it used frequently in both cases as a Veteran of foreign wars (military) and as a long time veteran of X thing/job.

However, as to it's first known usage, most sources agree that it was first used to refer to veterans of military service.

veteran | Etymology, origin and meaning of veteran by etymonline

Veteran Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

First recorded usage being from around 1500 WRT military soldiers. More common usage when referring to a more broad usage of the term is usually attributed to around 1600 give or take 10 years.

Basically, the word was first used in either capacity so long ago that anyone using it in modern day parlance isn't borrowing it from one or the other. :)

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
First recorded usage being from around 1500 WRT military soldiers. More common usage when referring to a more broad usage of the term is usually attributed to around 1600 give or take 10 years.

Basically, the word was first used in either capacity so long ago that anyone using it in modern day parlance isn't borrowing it from one or the other. :)

Is that about the english use of the word, or the original Latin root word? Rethorical question. Also, check the tags this forum automatically assigned my profile beside my user name...

All languages are constantly changing, and new words are being added all the time. Our mastery of the language also changes, and if you look through the times I think it’s clear, language is more concise and precise than ever. Thankfully, because that older stuff was impossible to follow.

Is that about the english use of the word, or the original Latin root word? Rethorical question. Also, check the tags this forum automatically assigned my profile beside my user name...

First recorded usage in a currently still in use language, in this case French.

Latin, while it is still used in some academic circles isn't a language that's in current usage.

From the first link...

c. 1500, "old experienced soldier," from French vétéran, from Latin veteranus "old, aged, that has been long in use," especially of soldiers; as a plural noun, "old soldiers," from vetus (genitive veteris) "old, aged, advanced in years; of a former time,"...

However, even the Latin word from which it is based was used mostly for soldiers of the Roman Empire. Hence why the French adopted it for referring to an "old experienced soldier".

Regards,
SB

Back