Sony Disable “Install Other OS” in firmware (v3.21)

Sony should have simply never bothered including this feature in the first place. I doubt they will make the same mistake again. Its a shame really.

Personaly i was always sure they would remove the feature if it ever comprimised the system. It sucks but it is certainly no suprise at all, its perfectly understandable. IMO they should be commended for giving the feature a go in the first place even if it didnt work out. I would rather experimental features were given to us and then taken away if they dont work out, rather then them features never exist at all.

Doesn't this statement contradict your position that not every CFW owner pirate ? Or are you saying all PSP (CFW) users are pirates now ? ^_^

'm just goign by what the other guys are saying.

They are saying CFW is extremely popular and easy to do and requires no extra hardware (well they forgot about the modded battery) and then they go on to say software sales are low becuase of piracy.

So why did sony sell 70m units world wide ? Because they are easy to pirate not because they have compelling games to buy.

While the ds isn't easy to pirate and requires extra hardware so they must be buying the systems because it has compelling games.

They are saying CFW is extremely popular and easy to do and requires no extra hardware (well they forgot about the modded battery) and then they go on to say software sales are low becuase of piracy.

So why did sony sell 70m units world wide ? Because they are easy to pirate not because they have compelling games to buy.

While the ds isn't easy to pirate and requires extra hardware so they must be buying the systems because it has compelling games.

Sure piracy helps PS3 hardware unit sales. David Reeves admitted it himself, but also said that it has hurt Sony in the long run.

This doesn't mean that no one buy PSP without CFW or piracy. I for one have not used CFW at all. :) I am sure there are others. The truth is usually somewhere in-between. Also, I don't think the issue is a clear cut one. Multiple people can be right from different perspectives.

For great PSP games, there are some but unfortunately the PS3 games set the bar too high. I love the Meta Gear Ac!d stuff. Played over 100 hours until I lost the game with the PSP. That's the problem with portable stuff. I have lost countless gadgets and software.

I've seen live cheating in terms of in game exploits, and modded controllers but never heard of PC like cheating described above with altered game code to take advantage. It'd be quite noticeable. Anyone have examples?

'm just goign by what the other guys are saying.

CFW is easy to do on PSP, and in a lot of other countries, you can buy them out of the store modded with memory sticks loaded with games. One such country is Iraq, where Soldiers buy "haji-PSPs" that come preinstalled with CFW, and are sold 8GB memory sticks loaded with PSP games. You think it's not common, but there are tons of Soldiers who buy them (even though they aren't supposed to). Anyone who can read can install CFW. You spend ~$25 for a pandora battery and then you can install CFW, no problems at all.

As for the DS, what do you mean it's difficult to pirate? Are you just making stuff up here? Seriously, people can buy an R4 DS card, drag and drop ROMs onto the SD card (both DS and GBA) and that's it. It costs TWENTY DOLLARS. It's not hard.

What irritates me is the people who say that this is in no way related to piracy. All of this stuff was created by "hackers" more or less, people who just wanted to experiment, and it's sold for the sole purpose of pirating games. It's exactly why Dragona, at times, is full of shit. CFW, Hackers, it's all the same, people who want to "prove a point" and in the end, just provide scum bags with the tools they need to steal shit. The same applies to Napster, torrents, all of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you play multiplayer Killzone 2, or CoD2 on PSN, you might encounter people with flying soldiers, or soldiers running twice as fast as your soldier, and soldiers with unlimited rockets to their RPG, and 4 times quicker health-regeneration, than you.

Simply because those other people installed a custom trainer-program wich changes the memory-values on their game, like is available on PSP with CFW.

If the program hides wich PS3 their using, and Sony banned those cheaters from PSN, they can just start a new free PSN-account.

And then the only option Sony would have, aswell as a perfect excuse, is to start charging for each online-account, then they would see the numbers of cheaters drop. :-/
Because people wouldn't risk cheating if they knew they had to pay if discovered.

Xbox Live with the original Xbox dealt with this by instantly banning any console that had was modified.

X360 until recently didn't have the ability to run arbitrary code. Now, certain models do, however the modifcations are trivial for MS to detect, and those consoles are also almost instantly banned after being connected to Xbox Live.

I would assume Sony would be able to do something similar with PS3 had it been hacked such that you could run arbitrary code in GameOS.

Regards,
SB

I think the problem is once you allow arbitrary code execution and h/w mod, it becomes an open issue. One may be able to swipe them off like flies now. They may not stay so. It's a race.

Xbox Live with the original Xbox dealt with this by instantly banning any console that had was modified.

X360 until recently didn't have the ability to run arbitrary code. Now, certain models do, however the modifcations are trivial for MS to detect, and those consoles are also almost instantly banned after being connected to Xbox Live.

I would assume Sony would be able to do something similar with PS3 had it been hacked such that you could run arbitrary code in GameOS.

Regards,
SB
maybe. Can sony know at a hardware level that ps3s are unique? I would imagine that if either cfw came out for either Sony or MS, they wouldn't be able to detect whether or not a console was unique. Is there something at the hardware level that uniquely identifies a console?

maybe. Can sony know at a hardware level that ps3s are unique? I would imagine that if either cfw came out for either Sony or MS, they wouldn't be able to detect whether or not a console was unique. Is there something at the hardware level that uniquely identifies a console?

There are several ways to tell one console from another. You have two MAC addresses (ethernet and wi-fi) that are unique. Also I'm pretty sure the Cell itself has at least one unique serial/private key/whathaveyou that can identify a PS3.

As for the PSP I was under the impression that with the latest FW you where not able to run pirated games and you need the latest FW to run the latest games. So going forward from here you can not pirate the new games. Of course if you don't want to play the latest games, you can still pirate the old stuff.
No, you still get firmware updates but now they are not by Dark Alex (He used to have a CFW counterpart of the newest original firmware released). Using Dark Alex's CFW one could even go online on PSN & play MP games. But now the latest CFW is generally of an older build than the latest Original FW, so no online with CFW. Beside if a game doesn't runs because it requires an even newer FW, one can just patch the .iso to make it work on an older FW.

Every kid under 12 of every colleague I have has a DS. I'm the only one with a PSP. For my 1 year old (almost 2), the PSP is used for movies (it can lock the keys during playback, which is essential ;) and it is surprsingly robust, having fallen on the floor countless of times and into water once).

there lies the crux of the issue. demographics! both the psp and Ds are easily piratable. Why then does the psp seem crippled by it and the DS is not has simply to do with the target audience.

Almost everyone i know who owns a psp is with the 13-19 year old age. And they are all male. In essence they are people who know their tech easily. And incidently all of them have CFW. The psp suffers because it's audience are mostly tech literate who know how to pirate stuff.

Whereas the DS audience has little kids and soccer moms who usually don't jailbreak their stuff. hence why nintendo enjoys massive software sales for it's DS. That's why i believe sony made a mistake when they designed the psp go. They should have made a portable that fits with a larger audience instead of hardcore gamers.

When you compare the ps1 and ps2 both which are massively successful consoles but also suffered from huge piracy levels, people often question why haven't software sales stagnated like the psp. Again it comes to demographics and marketshare. The first 2 sony consoles had a huge marketshare upto 65-70%. This meant that the large audience both consoles catered to has offsetted whatever losses incurred from piracy.

In other words damage from piracy was offset by a huge marketshare and huge target audience. And this is why the dreamcast failed. It was a console for hardcore gamers and when it has become easily piratable, software sales has sunk to the bottom. The lossess finally caught up to sega. Sega didn't also have the luxury of selling it's dreamcast as a DVD player as well.

If the dreamcast had enough marketshare and audience then it would have thrived and Sega would still be a hardware company.

When you came to the ps3 case, it caters to primarily a hardcore audience. It still sells for a loss. So when news arrived about an exploit via linux, panic bells rang at Sony HQ. Sony has been burned by the massive piracy levels on the psp. So it was no brainer that they scrambled immediately. Now if linux was a program used by the majority of ps3 owners then i think Sony would have attempted a patch.

But because of minuscule amount of ps3 owners who have installed linux, coupled with the fact that such patches would take resources and time and facing a cat and mouse game with hackers, Sony simply saw fit to simply remove the whole thing together. In the end the cost outweighed any benefits.

At this point in time, the ps3's marketshare is not big enough to offset piracy levels like it's predecessors. Sony knows this and this is another reason why they are after nintendo's market with the Move. They need that casual audience they had under the ps2. Once you enjoy that balance between catering to both hardcore and casual market, then the console flourishes both from a hardware and software perspective

CFW is easy to do on PSP, and in a lot of other countries, you can buy them out of the store modded with memory sticks loaded with games. One such country is Iraq, where Soldiers buy "haji-PSPs" that come preinstalled with CFW, and are sold 8GB memory sticks loaded with PSP games. You think it's not common, but there are tons of Soldiers who buy them (even though they aren't supposed to). Anyone who can read can install CFW. You spend ~$25 for a pandora battery and then you can install CFW, no problems at all.

As for the DS, what do you mean it's difficult to pirate? Are you just making stuff up here? Seriously, people can buy an R4 DS card, drag and drop ROMs onto the SD card (both DS and GBA) and that's it. It costs TWENTY DOLLARS. It's not hard.

What irritates me is the people who say that this is in no way related to piracy. All of this stuff was created by "hackers" more or less, people who just wanted to experiment, and it's sold for the sole purpose of pirating games. It's exactly why Dragona, at times, is full of shit. CFW, Hackers, it's all the same, people who want to "prove a point" and in the end, just provide scum bags with the tools they need to steal shit. The same applies to Napster, torrents, all of it.

So the point is that the psp isn't popular because its games are great or compelling. Its popular because its games are free.

The R4 doesn't cost $20 bucks. Its actually less. The cost of the sd card is more. Then ther is the problem that with each ds verison nintendo has knocked out older carts.

The fact of the matter is that sony priced the psp out of the market and failed to make it attractive or competent in its intended purposes. You can't argue about these things . I will b reak them down 1 last time

1) The psp has an akward shape and doesn't fit in most peoples pocket and maks it less portable

2) The battery life is very bad offering on some models just 3-4 hours of playable gaming thus affecting portability

3) UMD's are large and bulky and easily damaged thus affecting portability

4) Load times kill the pick up and play on the go portability.

5) The games are more expensive

6) The system is more expensive and has been historicly more expensive through out its life .

I believe and obviously so does the majority of the market believes that when you add up these 6 points together it makes for a very poor portable system that only really offers graphics as the selling point. Esp as the life span of the psp went on and the advent of mp3 players with larger screens that were just as capable of playing movies and videos. Even cheaper laptops played a part.

Sony has to get much more competeive with the next psp . Thats why they will focus less on pushing graphics further and more on making an actual portable system.

I can't believe that Dragona over at NeoGAF is banning people who are suggesting hacking can (and does, 100% of the time) lead to people pirating software.

Hackers and Homebrew enthusiasts may have the best of intentions, but there is zero question that it always leads to piracy in the long run.

I didn't realise the issue was a touchy subject for dragona. sigh perhaps i would phrased things in a different way if i knew. As it was, there was no warning or anything. Anyways what is done is done. Nothing i can do about it.

The irony is that Sony`s action will now lead to the impression that geohots hack is a wide open door that had to be shut down immediately and will generate much more interest than his hack alone ever could. Whether this really was the primary reason for Sony to take action is irrelevant now.

Running backups of games should be out of reach for a long time still, and hackers can still reverse/dump the Firmware aslong they dont upgrade.

And the CFW would only install on a hacked PS3 so I dont think he would reach alot people with such an effort.

I think sony execs waking up one morning to news that their precious ps3 had been partially exploited was enough. The panic and the history with the psp was enough for them to simply react instantly. As for the hackers it does not matter whether sony did anything or not. A determined hacker will simply prod and go on.

As for completely hacking the ps3, it is still a long way off and it's not easy with the root key completely inaccessible in an isolated spu. If the ps3 remains unhacked throughout it's lifetime then this method of cryptology will be the basis for next generation computer systems

So the point is that the psp isn't popular because its games are great or compelling. Its popular because its games are free.

No, its popular because it has great and compelling games that you can get for free. Who would spend $150+ on a system if the games sucked, even it they were free?

No, its popular because it has great and compelling games that you can get for free. Who would spend $150+ on a system if the games sucked, even it they were free?

many people would if the games were semi decent and were free. $150 isn't much to pay when you consider how much the actual software costs even if it is crap.

Back