Sonic the Hedgehog PS3, X360 with screens

Hmm, I just realize, and this may be hard to believe, but the last Sonic game I played was for the Genesis back in the mid-90s. I never got the chance to own a Dreamcast (I was in a military academy, and when we got to class one day our teacher say Sega is getting out of the console. When I graduated and got out, PS2 is pretty much taking over.) and never played any of the non-Sega-Console Sonics. If this game turns out good, this may be my first Sonic in a decade. But what happened to the more natural/nature settings shown in the TGS real-time demo?

.Z

It does look kinda nice for a Sonic game, but let's just say SEGA aren't doing themselves any favours in not putting any effort in any of their games except Virtua Fighter and maybe a couple others.
This looks average, considering what the X360 is already doing today. But then again, all SEGA games in the last generation were and looked average, apart from a couple of exceptions.

I'm not sure I like realistic gfx with Sonic...
That conflicts with my souvenirs of the first games (which I liked much).

I agree this one is looking a little average but I will wait until I see this one in motion before I make to much judgement on this. Could be pleasantly surprised or let down.

Those screenshots are horrible. Looks like the PS2 version, if one is coming for the PS2.

I saw the game at the Tokyo Game Show, and it looked much better than this, running on the PS3 development station, with Yuki Naka controlling the game. The highlight of the show for me!

I'm a huge Sonic fan, and hope this is available at the PS3 launch. It will be the game to get!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonic has been going downhill since Sonic Adventure anyway. It's almost humorous how they fall into line.

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Riders

I see a pattern forming. Maybe this will be the best Sonic in the last decade. . . but it's hard to get excited seeing Sega's recent performance.

Edge said:
Those screenshots are horrible. Looks like the PS2 version, if one is coming for the PS2.

I saw the game at the Tokyo Game Show, and it looked much better than this, running on the PS3 development station, with Yuki Naka controlling the game. The highlight of the show for me!

I'm a huge Sonic fan, and hope this is available at the PS3 launch. It will be the game to get!
It does? Looks like 10 times better to me. I think we should consider the possibility that this Sonic will have huge enviroments and its strongest point will be speed. Thats why sega didnt make the textures way too detailed.

I am positive in motion it will look better.

Hey, there's no shame in using an old thread for on-topic material. :)

Downloading videos now..

Being too fast is something of an issue for this series, no? That's what set Sonic apart - it was speedy. Trying to move that gameplay into 3D sounds hazardous to me. I've never really got on with 3D platformers. They're not as enjoyable as 2D IMO due to camera and controls never being as fluid. A fast 3D platformer is asking for trouble.

Shifty Geezer said:
Being too fast is something of an issue for this series, no? That's what set Sonic apart - it was speedy. Trying to move that gameplay into 3D sounds hazardous to me. I've never really got on with 3D platformers. They're not as enjoyable as 2D IMO due to camera and controls never being as fluid. A fast 3D platformer is asking for trouble.

I agree, I would much rather have the old style 2d sonic gameplay, but with 3d side scrolling graphics

Mario DS looks great in that regard. Have there been any others? I know some 2.5D shooters like later R-Types, and IMO they were a mess. There's an obsession with going overboard on the graohcs. 'We've got all this graphics power and we must use it all!' Big slphasy 3D backgrounds tend to mess the display up and make it harder to focus on the actual game. PSP Lemmings is good inverse of this, with 3D backdrops and 2D game. I tink I would prefer a 2D side-view Sonic but with 3D/vector rendering, really high quality AA'd lines and edges and perhaps a skeleton based animation where they go to town on the motion.

Shifty Geezer said:
Mario DS looks great in that regard. Have there been any others? I know some 2.5D shooters like later R-Types, and IMO they were a mess. There's an obsession with going overboard on the graohcs. 'We've got all this graphics power and we must use it all!' Big slphasy 3D backgrounds tend to mess the display up and make it harder to focus on the actual game. PSP Lemmings is good inverse of this, with 3D backdrops and 2D game. I tink I would prefer a 2D side-view Sonic but with 3D/vector rendering, really high quality AA'd lines and edges and perhaps a skeleton based animation where they go to town on the motion.

Wasn't there a 3D/2D version of Sonic announced for the PSP? I'm fairly sure there was ...

Shifty Geezer said:
Mario DS looks great in that regard. Have there been any others?

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is also a great game! It's certainly not a traditional platformer (most levels are way too short), but it does play great with the bongo drums and often looks stunning.

Shifty Geezer said:

Sonic Rush (DS) is the game you're looking for then.

Excellent game by the way.

Personally, i think Sega should make Sonic titles like Contra: Shattered Soldier. That game, while using 3d polygons, still kept the traditional side scrolling gameplay, and the result was really good. Too bad that the next game, Contra: Neo, didnt follow up the steps of its predecessor.

Back