Some PS5Pro and Resident Evil 9 thoughts

So State of Play last night was a proper bore. Sony wants you to shell out on a PS5 Pro, right? It apparently costs around $700 or whatever. Only where are the games? There was not much to really write home about, making for a truly underwhelming 40 or so minutes of my time.

But I see that Dusk Golem (the famous leaker) has provided this amusing update on Capcom, and how they are hoping RE9 will be a critical darling. And I'm actually wondering if those green herbs you find in the RE games are being converted into some potent drug made available on the black market in Asia, because Capcom must be higher than a kite if they think RE9 is going to be able to get a 90% rating on Metacritic, especially with their lengthy mismanagement of the franchise.

Yes, RE4 achieved that kind of score back in 2005, probably because shooters were pretty new at the time, and Capcom sold out to keep RE alive. It was due to that shift in gaming, that RE is still around today. So while I don't particularly like that shift from creepiness to blowing up every creature you see, that's what the zealots online openly admit to loving. However, all the RE sequels since 4 have been kind of mediocre, in my opinion, with hardly any genuine horror moments.

Well, at least until RE7 came out, which more or less just became a success due to A, VR was being heavily promoted, and B, because Capcom got lazy and stole a bunch of horror movie scenes, had the least interesting version of Chris I know of which the fans ate up regardless, and starred a faceless dude who could be mistaken for Harry Mason from Silent Hill which was a fresh take on things (and yes, RE8 was in fact a huge rip off of that series). So if they want RE9 to receive a high score like that, they're probably gonna have to copy RE4 again. And at this point, I think I'm about done with putting up with this level of nonsense. You should be as well.

They're also seemingly remaking CVX and RE0, as well as making 0 into a movie. And my God. At this stage in my life, I really don't care anymore. Just call their next game Resident Evil: Claire Sticks A Dildo Up Her Pooper for all I give a damn. Because I didn't pay all that dough for a PS5, just for to keep hearing about remasters, or remakes of games I played some 20 years ago. And all Hollywood and the gaming industry is about today is rehashing the past. To hell with that.

How many of these dong smokers who call themselves 'horror fans' have seen the original 1930s Dracula or Frankenstein, for example? Probably none. They hold up so well, even today. The same with The Wolf Man and The Phantom of the Opera, among other notable works of splendour in the horror world. But these days, everyone just wants to make graphic BS, with tons of scenes revolving around nudity and cussing thrown in for the hell of it. If it's not in HD or 4K or whatever either, or if it ain't something that just recently came out, a lot of these morons don't even care because they complain that it's too old, and sundry. But these remakes are just pointless, since they will most certainly take out more than they care to add in.

Like, I'm just fed up of it. Come up with something new, Crapcom. I played RE2 years ago. I played RE3. 4. The spin offs. All that jazz. And most of these remakes were kind of crap anyway. 3 more so, but 2 was nothing like the original. So, yeah. To me, it was crap.

But I'm calling it now. RE9 will not meet Capcom's expectations and then the franchise will die off, or get a full on reboot. Which in 2024, is sad. About as sad as introducing a story about the characters being able to de-age because of a viral infection. Does anyone not understand that it's all because Capcom wants to continue to milk the same cash cow?

Like, how many flipping times do we have to go back to Raccoon City, or the mansion, to find out stuff we already learned about? They did it with those Wii shooters. The movies and Netflix series. The animated films even had a throwback to the estate. It's like they're just baking batches of gingerbread men and forgetting to mix in the powdered ginger.

Like, I wish I could get on board with being enthusiastic for any of this modern bull crap Capcom churns out, but I know Capcom are just money hungry sods. They always have been. So people need to wake up and understand that all they're doing is trying to turn more of their chicken fat into another bowl of crispy chicken salad. Nothing more. Nothing less.

#residentevil
#thesaunderschild
#jamesberichsuckshijames
#capcom
#ps5

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally don't mind swearing, we're all adults here. However, B3D is the sort of forum which shouldn't have swears in the thread titles, to then be combed and catalogged by a big search engine.

So, I slightly adjusted your thread title for you. :)

OK. Thank you. :p

Everything I said though holds water. Capcom has been consistently milking and butchering the series for what feels like an eternity. They're most certainly going to leave out things in a CV remake, which is dumb, since CV isn't that big of a game anyway. I bet they'll even charge you to get the original soundtrack again, so you can enjoy the relaxing save room theme that CV is renowned for.

I guess I sound like an obsessed fanboy at times. I can therefore agree. But I've been a survival horror fan for decades. I feel like with a few exceptions, the genre gets regularly degraded with these lousy walking simulators available on Steam, where you can only run from enemies or hide under the bed, because the developers find that's so much more fun than picking up a handgun. :D

It is kind of just like the remake. It has the same type of graphics, but I found the story takes a huge boring turn after a solid opener on the train. That part of the game is great, as you end up encountering a large scorpion, Billy Coen is awesome, and the zombies look perfect.

Sure, James Marcus the villain is pretty weird. But the camera angles and so on are just awesome when you're walking around the carriages, seeing the rain battering against the windows.

The mansion section can drag on a while. You also have to drop items to save space, meaning you have to find the precise spot where you left something on the floor. The game has no storage boxes to place unwanted items in. So some gamers will find that to be a big nuisance.

I also believe that Resident Evil 4 is completely overrated.

I get why people enjoy it. Even I like it. But the story is not even relevant to the games from before. But then again, I doubt Capcom cared enough in 2005 about that concept, since they knew it would print money.

So between RE2 and that game, Leon became like James Bond. The villagers are stupid as well. They all carry Spanish coins, and the merchant is just a dumb addition. I think he is a silly character, because unlike Duke who is kind of the same, he has no wagon. So the mofo certainly cannot get his goodies carted about that easily. You could realistically just shoot him too, and who would talk of anyone not following the moral high ground?

That's one of the primary reasons I hate the premise of RE4 as a whole. It nuked the tension that previous games were beloved for pulling off so well. But RE4 is repetitive. You just collect valuable items you find, then buy big guns instead of looking in drawers for to be surprised when you acquire a rare find, as if somebody had just discovered eBay in the early 2000s. It is ridiculous.

Umbrella was put out of business, as stated in the opening scene. Then the whole game is just downright weird too, with characters doing over the top stunts, and the bosses are too comic book like to be scary.

But hell. This is old news already.

Agree, 4 was big thing back in the day on gamecube/ps2 as changed archaic game mechanic but defenitly moved too much into shooter game. Re4 remake was defenitly overrated, changed little and you could feel game is just old, tough psvr2 version was realy nice (tough not as good as village psvr2).

Last edited:
Agree, 4 was big thing back in the day on gamecube/ps2 as changed archaic game mechanic but defenitly moved too much into shooter game. Re4 remake was defenitly overrated, changed little and you could feel game is just old, tough psvr2 version was realy nice (tough not as good as village psvr2).

What was it you didnt like about the remake? Except for some sections and some boss fights which I found frustrating I thought it was great.

What was it you didnt like about the remake? Except for some sections and some boss fights which I found frustrating I thought it was great.
Its not that I didnt like it, but comparing to Village you just feel its based on very old game. Narration style, cringe dialogs and arcade gamey feeling.

It's arrogant when I see people online saying to "get good" when they're crap at a game.

Case in point: RE4 and 5 still have tank controls. Being able to move and shoot at the same time actually started with 6. ;)

Then vampire babes with big boobs was a thing in 2021. But that was really stupid. :D

Resident Evil so far has been built in trilogies, style-wise. RE1-3, then RE4-6, and with both RE7 and RE8 being first person, it feels like a continuation of that. So I'd make a guess RE9 will be another first person game and a cap to the trilogy.

Problem is, each cap to the trilogy has largely been considered the worst game. Obviously there's no need for this to be the case, but it's worked out that way for whatever reason. And hopefully RE9 can buck the trend. Because really, RE9 has loads of potential. I dont think the first person Resident Evil formula has really been nailed yet. RE7 was a great first go, but felt like more like a solid first draft, and RE8 leaned a little too much towards trying to have its cake and eat it too, and also ended up with issues. And I do think Capcom is generally in a pretty good place right now to where I wouldn't put it past them being able to nail a vision. I also dont think trying to specifically chase 'critical success' is the way to go about it, but hopefully that's just bluster.

As for OP, your argument itself seems to come down mainly to 'I dont like certain RE games, therefore whatever they make cant be exceptional'. You are far too absorbed into your own preferences to be able to look at the larger picture, from what I can tell. I cant predict the future, but what I'm pretty confident of is that any success or lack thereof of Resident Evil 9 will not be based around how people like you feel about it.

Resident Evil so far has been built in trilogies, style-wise. RE1-3, then RE4-6, and with both RE7 and RE8 being first person, it feels like a continuation of that. So I'd make a guess RE9 will be another first person game and a cap to the trilogy.

Problem is, each cap to the trilogy has largely been considered the worst game.
Re 8 + dlc finished Ethan story. From leaks in re9 Leon will be main character.

Back