SOCOM 4 & God Of War 2 Confirmed for PS3, I-8 new name

Slay

Newcomer
CVG's very own deep throat went on to reveal further hot info on PlayStation 3 titles that will be actually be there and in the flesh at this year's E3, with an 'absolutely gorgeous looking' SOCOM 4 confirmed for the show and likely to be a PS3 launch title.

You want more PS3 loving? Well, you'll get it in the form of a newly confirmed PS3 God of War title, which we have to say has us salivating in utter delight because its PS2 debut was absolutely cracking - we can't wait to swing Kratos' chains in anger all over again on Sony's next-gen machine. God of War PS3 may not actually make it to E3, but is apparently well into development; and interestingly, both it and SOCOM 4 will also be appearing on PS2, underlining Sony's commitment to its favoured current-gen son for the next few years.

Finally, we've got one last nugget of PS3 goodness to share with you, as we can exclusively reveal that Ratchet and Clank developer Insomiac's amazing looking PS3 shooter I-8 - and one of Sony's biggest PS3 titles - has been renamed. Prepare to meet ....(sound of drum roll) Resistance.
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...dvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=134356

I believe the new I-8's name 'Resistance' is going around on forums for months..

nAo said:
I believe the new I-8's name 'Resistance' is going around on forums for months..
That was the first time for me :D
Ohhh and one question for you to not answer
When we'll get some new info on Heavenly Sword?

Oh yeah..thanks for asking, it's a beautiful sunny day here in Cambridge.. :)

nAo said:
Oh yeah..thanks for asking, it's a beautiful sunny day here in Cambridge.. :)

Very nice today isn't it! obviously i got out of the tube, got drenched in rain, and 5 mins later it was sunny as hell... typical...

nAo said:

Not publically, but I'd heard about this a little while ago. So the rest is quite possibly reliable.

Very interesting, if true, that PS2 will also see Socom4 and GoW2. Forwards compatability! :p I guess I just hope that they're port-em-downs (to PS2) rather than vice versa, and I suppose they are judging by the description of Socom.

Socom at launch could be killer, but I can scarcely imagine that's true.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GoW2 (if it's anything like GoW) and HS (if it's anything like screenshots suggest) do seem to be quite similar games, gameplaywise.
I'd guess HS will be a "launch period" title, and GoW2 some months after that.

Not sure I like the sound of "both GoW2 and SOCOM 4 will also be appearing on PS2", I hope they don't share too much art assets. Also these are now essentially multiplatform titles, which must mean some limitations to PS3 versions.

Edit: I wonder if players of Socom4 on PS2 and PS3 will be able to play against each others online? If the PS3 was graphically very very very much advanced, wouldn't that give players an unfair advantage.

rabidrabbit said:
The GoW2 (if it's anything like GoW) and HS (if it's anything like screenshots suggest) do seem to be quite similar games, gameplaywise.

Not sure I like the sound of "both GoW2 and SOCOM 4 will also be appearing on PS2", I hope they don't share too much art assets. Also these are now essentially multiplatform titles, which must mean some limitations to PS3 versions.

Edit: I wonder if players of Socom4 on PS2 and PS3 will be able to play against each others online? If the PS3 was graphically very very very much advanced, wouldn't that give players an unfair advantage.

I'd say seperate assets are guaranteed, and they'd most likely be PS3->PS2 ports, or independent developments. They wouldn't necessarily need to be straight ports at all, even in terms of gameplay concepts or whatever (as we're seeing with some next-gen/current-gen multiplatform games). But concerns about unfair advantages in PS2<->PS3 networked games would be legit, I guess, depending on how they handled it.

rabidrabbit said:

Well usually art assets for a games are originally made at very very high resolutions (2-3 million polys character "dumber down" to a few thousands, normal maps etc), so the PS3 versions could just use a less "dumbed down" version of that high res character, while the PS2 version would use the lowest detail one. Same for textures, if they come from very high res original, PS3 can get the higher res ones, while the PS2 would get the same textures, but really downsized and sampled to fit into memory.

Yes, but the (short) history has shown not much good comes from game sdeveloped at the same time for current and next gen platforms.
I'm just pessimistic, as always. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I just wish they don't put out too many of those cross-generation games, I want my PS3 games to be tailor made to take full advantage of the PS3 power (or what they can tap at that time of that power), not games like "Gun", "Final Fantasy XI", "CoD2", "NHL2K6", "Madden NFL06", "FIFA06"....

Edit: corrected :) Thanks Titanio.

David Jaffe must be going insane since he's still working on that PSP title. I have doubts that GOW 2 will be near o around launch ready. :(

yessss....we all knew it was coming, this is just feel good music to the ears. GoW was such a great game, cant wait to see what it and socom4 looks like on the big brother.

HappyBread said:
When did Sony announce God of War PS3 then? I haven't heard anything about it.

It was implied there would be a sequal to GOW for those that played the game. It was a question of which system it would be released on.

You know, I would believe 3rd party devs might be a bit clueless with certain things PS3...but it's very hard to believe that you Sony guys don't know what's up.

And, while your presence here is so very appreciated, it is at the same time incrediby frustrating.

That being said...what do you guys get from being here? @ Deans, nAo, etc.

(predicted answer: incredible entertainment value)

I hope SOCOM 4 isn't a launch title. Unless there was a seperate team working on SOCOM 4 or it's development was started way back. It just seems a short time to have SOCOM 4 with new features.

Speng.

ROG27 said:
You know, I would believe 3rd party devs might be a bit clueless with certain things PS3...but it's very hard to believe that you Sony guys don't know what's up.

And, while your presence here is so very appreciated, it is at the same time incrediby frustrating.

That being said...what do you guys get from being here? @ Deans, nAo, etc.

(predicted answer: incredible entertainment value)

I think you'll find that they have been around for a while, likely before they started working on whatever games they are... I think you'll also find what they 'get' from being here is likely not related to their current project -- I'm guessing they don't just show up to don us with information every so often. (I'm sure it can get kind of annoying for them too, likely entertaining as well)

Back