[social] question for those of you who went to college...

Sage said:
Apparently a girl saying "yeah, whenever I get drunk I show eeeeeeveryone my clit piercings!" and me retorting with a quick "hey, quick, where's the alcohol!?" is not funny and is creepy. I thought it was funny.
You've got to remember that women have agendas. She was shit-testing and qualifying you in one motion. She wanted to see how you would deal with overtly sexual references and also whether you'd react the same way as all the other guys - which is to do what you did (don't take offence). Your ideal reaction would have been to just smile and say 'that's pretty wild, but to be honest I don't really find drunk women that attractive'.

mcsven said:
You've got to remember that women have agendas. She was shit-testing and qualifying you in one motion. She wanted to see how you would deal with overtly sexual references and also whether you'd react the same way as all the other guys - which is to do what you did (don't take offence). Your ideal reaction would have been to just smile and say 'that's pretty wild, but to be honest I don't really find drunk women that attractive'.

And my reaction would be to think: "What a slapper this girl is."

And I'd probably be right too! ;)

Mariner said:
And my reaction would be to think: "What a slapper this girl is."

And I'd probably be right too!
Aye. But slapper or not, it's good practice for when you meet the one that isn't.

It was a long time...

Sage said:
I'm getting bored sitting in my room every thursday, friday, saturday, sunday night all alone.
Don't you have some sort of Navy Seals grade training in "dorking alone at home"?
Sage said:
I've tried googling these things
Here's your reason number one why you don't get invited to parties.

To get to parties you need one thing, friends. Be a little more sociable, or just drive your Benz Purple Rain Edition loudly around the campus.

Vysez said:
Don't you have some sort of Navy Seals grade training in "dorking alone at home"?

Here's your reason number one why you don't get invited to parties.

To get to parties you need one thing, friends. Be a little more sociable, or just drive your Benz Purple Rain Edition loudly around the campus.

you are one hell of a rude guy......;)

booomups said:
you are one hell of a rude guy......;)

He's also a mod. You will respect his authority.

Or you will perish in the deep abyss of internet forum rejection hell.

Forum Golden Rule - The moderator is never wrong, in fact, the moderator is the perfect being.

Back on topic...Sage, you really don't sound like you have much to worry about. Everything seems to be in your favor. You just need to utilize what's there.

Why don't ya throw a little party yourself? Invite your closer friends and a bunch of people you just know ... have fun, do some networking.

Sage said:
yeah i was my "natural self" first semester and I've since found out that my "natural self" is really creepy and totally gives off the wrong vibes. Apparently a girl saying "yeah, whenever I get drunk I show eeeeeeveryone my clit piercings!" and me retorting with a quick "hey, quick, where's the alcohol!?" is not funny and is creepy.

That IS funny!

well guys i've learnedfrom this thread that there really isn't anything for me at parties / clubs. I'm not interested in them anymore. And, I think that also describes why I had so much troubble- I'm not interested in the whole point of it already, I just didn't know that was the point.

but yeah the clit piercing that wasnt said directly to me it was in a group of friends hanging out and me, as per usual, being the only straight guy.

Sage said:
well guys i've learnedfrom this thread that there really isn't anything for me at parties / clubs. I'm not interested in them anymore.

Well then, all is well that ends well ;)

_xxx_ said:
Well then, all is well that ends well ;)

exactly!

i'd rather be studying and making A's and getting into Yale law school so that I can make much money rather than going to clubs and parties and junk. i thought that the whole point of that stuff was to hook up but if it's not then my time is better spent making gobs and gobs of money because that's a much more fun way of getting laid than having to just kind of hang around in places like that and pretend to be enjoying it. Not to mention the ultra-high-end hookers (like $1000+ / hour) are probably both better at their job, have a much lower chance of having STD's, and sleep with fewer men. Now that I have a better understanding of the system I cannot imagine why I would ever want to waste my time at a club or party.

Sage said:
i'd rather be studying and making A's and getting into Yale law school so that I can make much money rather than going to clubs and parties and junk. i thought that the whole point of that stuff was to hook up but if it's not then my time is better spent making gobs and gobs of money because that's a much more fun way of getting laid than having to just kind of hang around in places like that and pretend to be enjoying it. Not to mention the ultra-high-end hookers (like $1000+ / hour) are probably both better at their job, have a much lower chance of having STD's, and sleep with fewer men. Now that I have a better understanding of the system I cannot imagine why I would ever want to waste my time at a club or party.
Interesting perspective.

In my experience, the social skills that can be picked up in your private life are some of the most valuable tools that you will have in your professional one. There is often a choice presented to professional people: stay technical or move into management. It's amazing the similarity between the skillset required to pick-up women or talk to new people and those required to motivate a team. I wouldn't undervalue what you can learn at a party - whilst having fun (and maybe, if you really master it, picking up high-end women for free!).

mcsven said:
Interesting perspective.

In my experience, the social skills that can be picked up in your private life are some of the most valuable tools that you will have in your professional one. There is often a choice presented to professional people: stay technical or move into management. It's amazing the similarity between the skillset required to pick-up women or talk to new people and those required to motivate a team. I wouldn't undervalue what you can learn at a party - whilst having fun (and maybe, if you really master it, picking up high-end women for free!).

well, it's not so much that I lack social skills. even last semester when I was creepy / pervy everyone loved me in spide of those few uncomfortable moments after I said something that I shouldn't have. I often have long, engaging, and also flirtatious conversations with women whom I have never seen before or have never talked to. I have people who treat me like a friend whos names I don't even know. And, actually, the creepyness turns out to be because I was trying to convince myself that I was something I am not- the type of guy who sleeps around a lot without making a commitment. Now that I'm not trying to be that guy I'm even more popular. My profs also all love me... with the exception of my kickboxing instructor who doesn't speak enough engrish to form even a single sentance properly (which really doesnt matter because he's totally an awesome martial artist and really good at teaching even with almost zero verbal instruction) so you really can't much tell what he's thinking. Of course, then there is my philosophy instructor who doesn't really seem to care much about anything at all but I think he considers me mildly intelectually stimulating.

My only problem was that I didn't understand the mechanisms of a high-school- / college-type party or a club. That has absolutely nothing to do with social skills and is much more similar to a lack of knowledge of a foreign culture.

Also, I do not plan on moving from a technical job to a managerial one. I may end up practicing law for a firm right out of school however, I do not expect to stay at the bottom for long. Most likely, I will end up making money for myself and later end up in politics. I plan on running for senator (and winning) and possibly trying to land a possition in the supreme court.

Now, for those of you whom that scrares tremendouly- you don't really know me that well. My personality on this forum seems to have developed into it's own organism and really doesn't represent anything other than a warped, perverted version of my inner child. Also, I've learned a lot about people, morality, and life in general over the past few years. I know that I've made some mistakes in my real life and it took me a while to understand them as well as being a real whiney, childish jerk here. I really wish that you guys could actaully get to know the real me because I'm sure that you would find me much more likeable.

and when you are the president (they dont really care who they vote for, do they?)
we will dig up all the embarassing things here harr harr.

no really. if you want to go in politics, i hope you ll be good to the world and common folk.
and i dont mean sugar and whip.

Fair enough!

Can a Supreme Court Justice afford ultra high-end hookers (after, I presume, he's legalised them in D.C.)? :cool:

mcsven said:
Fair enough!

Can a Supreme Court Justice afford ultra high-end hookers (after, I presume, he's legalised them in D.C.)? :cool:

well certainly not with the income provided by the state. however, people who actually have a lot of money do not rely upon their salary for the majority of their income. I already have enough, without having to work at all, to pay for an expensive private school education without any scholarships, grants, or loans. Barely, of course, but it's still enough. And, I'm not really serious about the hookers.

booomups said:
and when you are the president (they dont really care who they vote for, do they?)
we will dig up all the embarassing things here harr harr.

no really. if you want to go in politics, i hope you ll be good to the world and common folk.
and i dont mean sugar and whip.

well, the way I see it that's the whole point. there are three motivators for going into the judicial system- desire for power, to further specific causes, and to serve the greater good of mankind. I love looking at cases and judgements (especially on law and order TV shows) and analyzing the considerations and effects that judges must take into account in making descisions. A lot of times I find myself thinking that in spite of strong personal feelings about a particular issue I would have to rule against my bias as ultimately it would be for the greater good. I believe that is the mark of a truely good politician- willing to sacrifice his or her own personal feelings and bias for what, after great thought, appears to be better for the people as a whole. That is why I am persuing a BA in philosophy; I believe that it will teach me to better analyze issues from an objective point of view and appreciate the far-reaching effects of any decisions. I'm also majoring in Economics (and right now thinking of getting an MA since I will be able to get my B* and M* in 5 years total) as I hope that I will be able to influence fiscal policy to add more long-term financial stability to our national economy and accountability to our government.

I know that I act very selfishly on these forums but I hope that you can conceive that when it comes to reality, while I am subject to human desires of fame and fortune, I also hold dear the wellfare of my nation and seek to improve myself in as many ways as I can that will help me better serve that purpose and not strictly for personal gain.

Sage said:
My only problem was that I didn't understand the mechanisms of a high-school- / college-type party or a club. That has absolutely nothing to do with social skills and is much more similar to a lack of knowledge of a foreign culture.

It's just a bunch of people having fun and interacting with each other, nothing more than that. No other rules then in any other situation really, except that the people are more relaxed usually.

MuFu said:
LMAO. That is absolute BS.

Agree. IQ is a stupid number anyway...i Have a 151 but it means nothing. ITs all about your personality and your outlook. If you are a depressed prick all the time then you got no shot. If you are naturally good looking then you already won like 80% of the battle...the remaining 20% is your brains. Its all about 1st impressions.

Back