So who hates their job here? (aka "job hunting tips")

PARANOiA

Veteran
After a few varying bits and pieces at work I have done a complete 180 from really enjoying my work to really despising getting out of bed in the morning.

There's a fair bit behind it, but in a few words, I've had a change of boss who treats me like I'm not very good at my job... coming from being given a top rating in my 2006 performance review, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth. On top of having staff reporting into me moving companies into salaries 50% more than mine, it's really time to move on for me.

Anyway, I'm now "on the market" so to speak. Anyone have any tips for someone who has never really had to job-hunt? I've got a breadth of experience, and I'm young and quite talented at what I do. My big down-sides are my lack of interviewing experience... I'm really struggling to put a decent resume together.

Who should I use as referees? I've been with the same company since I entered the workforce... that's really giving my chills at the moment. I feel completely caged. But surely people get around it somehow, right?

Any general and/or specific tips?

Also as a side-topic... does anyone else hate their job? :LOL: Would love to hear stories from the front line.

As much as I bitch about mine, I actually like it. Granted raising kids/keeping house never gives you a day off and is 24/7, but you're your own boss at least to some extent.

The pay sucks, the benefits rock; but the big thing is the job satisfaction, off the chart. :cool:

Im not sure if your company is big or not, but is there anyway to just switch to a different department? You could use your 2006 review as proof that your not mashing with your new boss.

I hate my job. It pays nothing, leaves me hungry, longing for relationship, and with certain knowledge that this will continue forever. It's called living. :p

My job has gone down hill also. My job was technical problem solving but we have trippled the number of managers over the last few years and my goals have gone from problem solving and keeping customers happy to

Doing a MS project plan
Implementing a monthly call
Writing up and documenting stuff for quality control
Standardising forms to follow and then using them without any thought thus turning me into a robot.

I'm sure it makes my managers goals look good but it does nothing for my enjoyment of the job. And it's not even an exciting job, it's banking software !

Office Space, dilbert and The Office all rolled into one.

Im not sure if your company is big or not, but is there anyway to just switch to a different department? You could use your 2006 review as proof that your not mashing with your new boss.

It's certainly possible, however it would be something of a lazy option... I'd much prefer to bail out for more money than bailing out for the same money :smile:

I do hate skulking around the office when recruiters call however.

its not the job, its the superiors..... f*ck'em.

we are on the field solving problems with our stores, we have to deal the best way we see fit given the circumstances and the info we got.

The friggin guy in the office that oversees if things get fixed or not is always putting problems, and he doesn't know shit about computers or communications.
Doesn't have the concepts and yet, without knowing the details or why some choices had to be taken, still screws with my head all the time.

If we do X, he says "but you should do Y and Z!!!!!!"
If we do Y he says you should have done X or Y

no way to escape. Thats what happens when you are hired to maintain the computer network of a very small company that has nothing to do with computers business except working on them.

I quite like my job.

The otherday I wrote a pixel shader that does 2112 texture samples per pixel. It was fun.

I love my job, it pays through the roof and the work is dead-easy (i'm basically a glorified secretary for the family business). I fix documents, handle contracts for house/land, handle faxing as needed and so on. Just today i've been spending the better part of my morning redesigning an old landlords prospectus document...the old one was ugly and poorly designed, but now I get to redesign it with fancy images, transparency, and borders! :devilish: No seriously, I enjoy that.

And for $600+ a week, who wouldn't.

Hooray!
Sorry I never posted anything useful before... I've been very odd recently.
But it seems it doesn't matter anyway.

So Hoorray!
*dance*

My understanding is that Melbourne CBD is pretty nice too :)

kittenhat.jpg

[edit]

you didn't get a job at red tribe by some chance?

Hooray!
Sorry I never posted anything useful before... I've been very odd recently.
But it seems it doesn't matter anyway.

So Hoorray!
*dance*

My understanding is that Melbourne CBD is pretty nice too :)

kittenhat.jpg

[edit]

you didn't get a job at red tribe by some chance?

No - a large Telco actually. Hopefully means cheap gadgetry :)

Back