So... what games are actually impressive to you?

Games that impressed me

MGS1(PSone)
ICO
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Castlevania SOTN
Z.O.E 2nd Runner
The Loungest Journey
Panzer Dragoon Orta
GoldenEye
The Legend of Zeld OoT
Soul Calibur

Seeing people post about Amiga games makes me sad :cry:

Considering the Amiga 500 was out at the same the NES was just shows how much muscle it had. It easily could produce games that looked 5X better than the NES.

I mentioned it in my list but the first time I saw Shadow of the Beast may have been the biggest "wow" I ever uttered in gaming. Coming from games lik Super Mario Bros. and then seeing a game like that was amazing. It was powerful enough that many would argue it was still more powerful than the Genesis and SNES even though it was very old at that time.

That also goes back to the time where I thought Psygnosis was the pinnacle of what a gaming publisher was. Games like Beast 1&2, Killing Game Show, Leander, Amnios, Awesome, Lemmings, Nitro, and Blood Money were so good for their time.

Amiga R.I.P :cry:

*BTW does anyone know what ever happened to Reflections or Tim and Lee Wright?

Last edited by a moderator:
<nu>faust said:
you called ocarina's gameplay dull???? what's wrong with you ?? :) don't you know talking this way about our master miyamoto's masterpiece is nothing but utter blasphemy!!!! the thing puzzles me is that you thought ww was good, for real what's the deal :) ??

I did try to like it, played it for quite a while, it just never really grabbed me. WW was loads of fun though, and I loved the bright colourful style. The quest for realism really doesn't suit the game IMO, no matter how good it might be made to look.

I thought FF VII was a load of rubbish as well. I actually invested a lot of time in that one because everyone kept telling me it would get good:

After I'd played it for 30 minutes.
After I'd played it for a couple of hours.
After I got to some particular boss.
After I got out of the city.
etc...

I just found it dull and annoying.

MrWibble said:
I did try to like it, played it for quite a while, it just never really grabbed me. WW was loads of fun though, and I loved the bright colourful style. The quest for realism really doesn't suit the game IMO, no matter how good it might be made to look.

I thought FF VII was a load of rubbish as well. I actually invested a lot of time in that one because everyone kept telling me it would get good:

After I'd played it for 30 minutes.
After I'd played it for a couple of hours.
After I got to some particular boss.
After I got out of the city.
etc...

I just found it dull and annoying.

I agree with you. I loved WW until it was time to fetch the Tri-Force pieces, then it seemed to go down hill quick until the last battle.

However I never could get into OoT. I played to and past the 3rd or 4th dungeon I beleive and I was forcing myself to play. It just never hooked me or did I feel the need to continue then I just sort of forgot about it.:oops:

Master-Mold said:
I agree with you. I loved WW until it was time to fetch the Tri-Force pieces, then it seemed to go down hill quick until the last battle.

However I never could get into OoT. I played to and past the 3rd or 4th dungeon I beleive and I was forcing myself to play. It just never hooked me or did I feel the need to continue then I just sort of forgot about it.:oops:

Here's the thing with WW - if you play it very linearly, just doing what you know you're supposed to at every opportunity, the end section exploring the sea is probably pretty tedious and I know a lot of people moaned about that.

However when I played played it, I kept goofing off to explore whenever I could, so the exploration was spread out a bit more. Every time the game let me explore more of the sea, I had a good look around rather than just going where it wanted me to. Maybe if the game had encouraged that style of play, it might have gone down a bit better.

Totally with you on OoT though - I can't remember how far I got but it wasn't much past the first couple of dungeons.

I also had more fun with Banjo+Kazooie than I had with Mario64. I can *appreciate* Mario, it's a wonderful bit of work, but I got to nearly the end, put it down, and just never got around to playing it again. There was no hook for me other than to see the game. There's just *something* about the N64 Miyamoto titles that left me cold.

FF7

FF8

Vagrant Story

Sonic games on Genesis

Donkey Kong on SNES

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 on NES

After Burner

Art Of Fighting

Soul Edge

Shenmue

Ninja Gaiden

Devil May Cry3

Burnout 3 and Revenge

the Gran Turismo's

Wipeout and WIpeout XL

Jumping Flash

Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga

Burning Road

Resident Evil 1&2

Resident Evil4

Silent Hill 1,2,3

Zone of the Enders 2

Kakuto Gojin or whatever its called (only graphically speaking)

Omega Boost

Ace combat 3,4,5

Splatter House 3

Metal Slug series

Metal Gear Solid1,2,3

ICO

SOTC

Resident Evil 1 Remake

Super Mario Brothers 1 &3

Guilty Gear XX

just to name a few

i can understand spme pll disliking zelda : oot becauase of its slow start and its murky graphics(which was state of the art for its days),yep the game doesnt reach its peak till later but from the time you open the time portal till the end it was one AMAZING ride. It might stil hold itself as the best game i have played in my life(according to ign its #2). There is sooo much diversity in gameplay ,there are soo many innovative elements ,such atmosphere.....In the other hand imho(many hardcore zelda fans would agree)Wind Waker was a rushed game(eiji aonuma accepted that in some interview), it was a short one for a zelda game,there weren't enough temples, there werent enough fresh content(most of the gameplay elements were rehashed from oot&majora like ocarina/wind baton mechanic or same ganandorf bossfights mechanics fom oot) ,some gameplay elements such as stealth did not fit well,the sense of epic was not a pronounced as it was in oot(majoras mask suffered from the same fate), the new graphics engine added charm and personality but could not reflect the serious/dark/cold side of hyrule (like the dark world in oot).

Master-Mold said:
Seeing people post about Amiga games makes me sad :cry:

Considering the Amiga 500 was out at the same the NES was just shows how much muscle it had. It easily could produce games that looked 5X better than the NES.

I mentioned it in my list but the first time I saw Shadow of the Beast may have been the biggest "wow" I ever uttered in gaming. Coming from games lik Super Mario Bros. and then seeing a game like that was amazing. It was powerful enough that many would argue it was still more powerful than the Genesis and SNES even though it was very old at that time.

That also goes back to the time where I thought Psygnosis was the pinnacle of what a gaming publisher was. Games like Beast 1&2, Killing Game Show, Leander, Amnios, Awesome, Lemmings, Nitro, and Blood Money were so good for their time.

Amiga R.I.P :cry:

*BTW does anyone know what ever happened to Reflections or Tim and Lee Wright?

What about sword of sodan and blood money!

Master-Mold said:
*BTW does anyone know what ever happened to Reflections?

Reflections -> Demolition derby and Driver serie (including Driv3r).
DMA design -> GTA serie
Psygnosis -> Wipeout serie, Formula One serie

This generation the only games that floored me were NFL2K, soul calibur rogue leader I saw those games and almost pissed my self thankfully they backed it up with the game play. Previous generations Act Raiser,Sonic 1, River city ransom, Phantasy Star 1 and 2,Golden Axe, Ninja Spirit(turboGraphics), Techmobowl, No Mercy, super punchout, california game(atari lynx), Blue Lightning(atari Lynx) ,Streets of Rage2, Thunderforce, Y's(turbographix CD version), Crash and burn(3do), The Horde(3do), Road Rash(3do),Metal gear solid, First EA NHL game on the genesis, First 989 sports football game on the PS1.. Damn there are so many great old games that impressed me at the time I could go on all day.

I got to second many of the already mentioned games, here is some stuff that impressed me:

Last Ninja Series (C64) - back in that days it was a very pretty and impressive game

StarGlider2 (Amiga) - GTA with space ships, free roaming fun in a solar system ... it blew my socks off in '89

Virus (aka Zarch) (Amiga) - the gameplay element of thrust physics in a 3D environment made it so damn dynamic

Axely (SNES) - amazing tech, Konami had the SNES by its nuts with that one

Doom (PC) - my first 1st person shooter, played it for month, fixed me for life

Tobal2 (PS1) - high res, 60 fps ... gorgeous

GTA3 (PS2) - I was never a big fan of the the 2D GTA, so I expected little from GTA3, it caught me offguard, I was stunted

i've realized i did not include any old school c64/amiga games so here they are
international karete 1/2/3 - c64
pirates - c64
california games / epyx's winter summer games - c64
last ninja - c64
barbarian -c64
defender of the crown - c64
out of this world / flashback - amiga
sim city -amiga
populus - amiga
sensible soccer - amiga
lemmings - amiga
turrican - amiga
moonstone - amiga

Chronological order

Ridge Racer (PlayStation)
Tekken (PlayStation)
Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation)
Gran Turismo (PlayStation)
Goldeneye (Nintendo 64)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)
Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation)
Final Fantasy VIII (PlayStation)
Tekken III (PlayStation)

Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)

Gran Turismo III (PlayStation2)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PlayStation2)
Ace Combat IV: Shattered Skies (PlayStation2)
Halo (Xbox)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (GameCube)
Resident Evil 4: Code Veronica (GameCube)
Gran Turismo IV (PlayStation2)

blakjedi said:
What about sword of sodan and blood money!

Blood Money is listed in my quote.:LOL:

I totally forgot about Sword of Sodan though. That was a violent but exellent looking game. i bought an external floppy drive for that game.

I also forgot the Amiga versions of Dragons Lair and Space Ace which were damn respectable to the arcade.

BTW props to whoever mentioned Turrican on the Amiga. Another classic I forgot, that like SotB got butchered in a port to the Genesis.

Back