So... what games are actually impressive to you?

blakjedi

Veteran
I read so much about what's next gen and what isn't; whats "impressive" and what isn't and in truth I dont know if the stuff that we are seeing isn't "impressive" because we've seen better - or because we expect more.

Minus the AA comment I had about Kameo I think it looks very impressive and better than anything else this gen.
The new screens of King Kong from the other thread are TERRIFIC.
Condemned is on my list of graphically impressive games as well as CoD2.

From this current gen, I'd say SC:CT on Xbox is the best looking game this gen, followed immediately by and just nudging RE4. Riddick for Xbox and God of War for Ps2 tie for third. These are the most impressive games I have ever seen, even after having seen HL2 and F.E.A.R.

If MGS4 looks like the video during gameplay that will be Very impressive to me.

Whats impressive to you?

Till now the thinghs that inpressed me more as been KZ2 and MS, but mainly because of physics/AI/animation.

While overall gfx are very nice they had lost much of their importance in ralation to those and since the best of XB most of them will not give new experiences they had lost much from the WOW factor, yet it is nice to see new gfx engines for those games.

pc999 said:
Till now the thinghs that inpressed me more as been KZ2 and MS, but mainly because of physics/AI/animation.

Please Pc999.... you know what I meant by the title. Lets focus on games please.

I would have to say Call of Duty 2 (I love the fricken smoke effects) and Project Gotham Racing 3. The inner cabin viewpoint alone makes the game marvelous. Being able to glance over when your riding side by side with your competitor is going to be great.

I can't really say anything else has blown me away. Maybe Madden 06'. I love the shot (see if I can find it) of a Tamba Bay players helmet. You can see the glittery speckle on the helmet shimmering. That was hot.

blakjedi said:
By impressive I also mean EVER... not just for the x360 launch...

Soul Calibur on the dreamcast, Ninja Gaiden for the xbox, Splinter Cell CT for xbox, FFVII on the ps2 (those types of cutscenes where unheard of at the time) Xenosaga for PS2, GT, Tony Hawk 2

Best graphics ever?

You can discard any current console. I dont care how many tricks they use, 64/32 MB among other limitations just cannot possibly compete.

I'd say the unreal engine, basically. I have seen shots of it that look more impressive than Gears of War.

Killzone2 is probably the most single impressive display of graphics I've seen, regardless of whether it's realtime.

One thing that's annoying is how graphics never wow anymore, because of the constant incremental improvement of PC's.

The incredible leap from say, NES to Genesis doesn't occur anymore. It still occurs but it's effect is dulled because PC games have already approached if not reached the same teritory.

The most "impressive" game for me this gen?

-Shadow of the Colossus (need i explain?)
-Katamari Damacy (the control scheme is played by 2 analogue sticks essentially = fun)
-MGS3 (great production, from music, cinematics and graphics)
-Silent Hill 2 (fear through silence, as the devs say, plus nice gfx for its time)

it should push the boundries of the medium and be some thing more than "just a game".i should provoke the emotions of the player and make him or her feel connected to its sub-reality.an impresssive game should be like ocarina of time or shadow of the colossus,dare i say it...well it should be piece of "art" not just a game.

I'm really looking forwards to Splinter Cell 4, Mass Effect, Forza 2, Halo 3, Gears of War, Too Human and Lost Odyssey. MGS4 and HS look pretty cool too ;)

At launch, only Kameo really blows me away, cod2 is nice,

For me NCAA Football by EA. Dynasty mode has an incredbile amount of depth without being overwhelming. Recruiting a player with lots of potential and over several years watching him grow into a star is just fun. It's almost like a roleplaying game and you really hope he will recieve lots of accolades and maybe win the Heisman award. The pain of watching a great player leave your football program and enter the pro-draft before they are scheduled to graduate.

On the field the subtle player animation and attention to detail is impressive. To me NCAA is more engaging than John Madden football, and I can't wait to see what they come up with on next-gen hardware.

The last two games that actually really made me thank myself for playing games were Ico and SotC. If Ueda started a company and made a console, I'd buy it, even if his games were the only ones to be released on that console.

Impressive otherwise there have been quite a few:

-God of War impressed me (mostly because its one of the most polished games I've ever seen)
-Halo1/2 were inarguably impressive to some extent, whether you enjoyed them or not
-Resident Evil 4 was impressive
-Katamari Damacy and We :love: Katamari were impressive for their uniquely fun experience
-MGS2/3 were for, if nothing else, their cinematic appeal
-GT3 was impressive at the time (its still a great racing game)
-Ninja Gaiden was impressive (for its difficulty! =o)
-Smash brothers melee was impressive and one of the most addicting fighting games around
-Lumines impressed me, I haven't been so enthralled by a simple puzzle game in a long time (since tetris). The use of music in it truly rocks.

Thats about all I can think of offhand.

The one that pops to mind is Metal Gear Solid 3. To me, that game was the whole package. The cinematics was something that i've never experinced before. Almost like playing in a movie. I loved every minute of it.

blakjedi said:
Please Pc999.... you know what I meant by the title. Lets focus on games please.

Sorry, acctually I meant MotorStorm ( I should be more explicit), BTW other game that fits in there is ET:QW.

Back