So what anime shows are you watching?

cloudscapes said:
I have a couple to reccomend that I've recently watched:

Vision of Escaflowne
SUPERB 26-EP series. It's also a mecha series, but somewhat more steam-punk-ish than Eva or RahXephon. The design and technology for these mechs is probably the best I've ever seen (it just looks so real and mechanical, and that it could really work). The story is ace, the characters thorough, dragons way cool, animation/decors superb and music breathtaking (yoko kanno). It'S fairly deep too, a lot of stuff to think about whilst watching it and after finishing it as well. The first 10 minutes of the series is misleading though, as it starts off as a modern highschool drama thing, but things get rapidly interesting! In my opinion, it's the best anime of the 90s.

Full Metal Alchemist
Like 50 episodes in this one. Alchemy, or "magic" presented in a scientific way. Quite entertaining and funny at times, but also holds it's water for being a "deep" series with a lot of touchy subjects (alchemy, death, life, reincarnation, war). The characters are absolutelly wonderful!

Will definately try the Vision thing, and Full Metal Alchemist was very very cool, although i was left with a big "now what?" after the last episode....

london-boy said:
Will definately try the Vision thing, and Full Metal Alchemist was very very cool, although i was left with a big "now what?" after the last episode....

You (or any anime fan) absolutelly can't miss Escaflowne. :D It has a feel of Last Exile meets FMA meets Eva. Really great! There's a review here. That review site is also excellent, I generally agree with most of the reviews (save for a few examples).

I agree with your FMA comment. It did't necissarily end in a depressing way, but somehow I was hoping for happier. That's anime for ya. :)

While I'm at it, I also reccomend Maison Ikkoku. This is a quite old series (almost 20 years) but that still shines in depth and quality of the art (for it's time). Absolutelly hillarious moments, and the characters are very real. Think Love Hina but ten times funnier, better and more realistic. Also contains a fair bit of drama. A review can be found on previously-mentioned site.

cloudscapes said:
I have a couple to reccomend that I've recently watched:

Vision of Escaflowne
SUPERB 26-EP series. It's also a mecha series, but somewhat more steam-punk-ish than Eva or RahXephon. The design and technology for these mechs is probably the best I've ever seen (it just looks so real and mechanical, and that it could really work). The story is ace, the characters thorough, dragons way cool, animation/decors superb and music breathtaking (yoko kanno). It'S fairly deep too, a lot of stuff to think about whilst watching it and after finishing it as well. The first 10 minutes of the series is misleading though, as it starts off as a modern highschool drama thing, but things get rapidly interesting! In my opinion, it's the best anime of the 90s.
Thanks Cloudscape, I'll give it a go. I am always on the lookout for anime recomends; as much great anime as there is there is still waaay too much crap out there.

I don't think I've been disapointed by any anime series I've had recomended to me though, so thanks. :)

Full Metal Alchemist is definately a must-do series, as is Full Metal Panic...if nothing else just so you can appreciate Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu which is about my all time fave.

london-boy said:
Full Metal Alchemist was very very cool, although i was left with a big "now what?" after the last episode....
The movie is supposed to be coming out this summer and is supposed to pick up EXACTLY where the series left off, there is a lot of anticipation for it. 8)

well so far i think that the *spoilers* are the same as the *spoilers* that keep attacking the good guys...? but i'm not sure about how it all fits together, and the *second spoiler* thing that happened.
Heh-heh-heh, I think I was just about getting a dark suspicion about it when I was at where you're at...or just slightly after.

You're gonna love it, I'll shut up.

I have all 26 episodes, Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion.
But i tried those movies and i couldnt get the subtitles to work for some reason.... BAD thing.
I had that problem with Appleseed and fixed it, I'll hunt for the fix and get back to you....you're using Media Player Classic, right?

Media player what? What's that? :devilish:

I use VLC or Nero Media Player. with some strange plugins like ffdshow and vobsub or something like that...

Anyway, i do have a very very strange suspicion, but it's just strange and i'm not sure what to think of it. :devilish: i'll prob finish it tonight, the 26 episodes at least, so we'll see...

How's Phantom Quest Corp? I saw it the other day and am almost done getting it....

That's another thing I love about anime, most of it is legal to download and trade. 8)

RussSchultz said:
digitalwanderer said:
That's another thing I love about anime, most of it is legal to download and trade. 8)
I doubt that.

Well, you know, if there were a complete DVD collection of all the series i wanted to watch, i'd be the first to buy them. Unfortunately, most of the time, i either download them or i just miss out on them completely, and i'm not sure what the creators would prefer.
And obviously i'm very happy to pay to download series i want to watch. Anime has provided me the best audio-video entertainment in my life for years, much more so than movies, therefore it's only fair if i pay for it, and very happy to do so.

RussSchultz said:
I doubt that.
Truth buddy. The majority of what I watch is called "fan-subbed", which means they taped the japanese version of the show and then sub-titled it in english.

It's legal so long as the show is not licensed in the country you are downloading from. For example, one of my fave shows Naruto was legal to download until just a few weeks ago when the rights to the North America syndication of the show was bought up by Cartoon Networks. The day that happened most of the sites that carried Naruto pulled down all their torrents with a note explaining that it was licensed.

Bleach is still legal to download since it isn't licensed in America yet, but I think the DVDs are coming this way soon so that may change.

There are a LOT of "ONLY LEGAL!!!!" anime torrent sites out there Russ, http://a.scarywater.net/ and http://www.static-subs.com/ are the first two that spring to my mind; although I'll grant you there is probably just as much illegal anime available too.

I'm pretty sure on this one Russ, I actually looked into the legalities of it at one point just for shits and giggles. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Truth buddy. The majority of what I watch is called "fan-subbed", which means they taped the japanese version of the show and then sub-titled it in english.

It's legal so long as the show is not licensed in the country you are downloading to.

Downloading fansubs is definitely not legal. It may not be illegal either, but it is definitely a grey area.
Some sites have some sort of "ethic" code to only list unlicensed series, but that doesn't make it legal.
The copyright holders to the series are (usually) in Japan and they most certainly did not allow you to copy the show. I also don't think this falls under the "Betamax" decision of a copy for private use, as the torrents are distributed to thousands of people.
It's not that I want to start a fight over this, it's just something people IMO should be more aware of.

digitalwanderer said:
I'm pretty sure on this one Russ, I actually looked into the legalities of it at one point just for shits and giggles. ;)
I'm pretty sure its not.

You may not be in danger of being targetted by the copyright holder until somebody in the US buys the rights, but since Japan and the US are a signature of the Bern convention, I'm pretty damn sure what you're doing is copyright violation (unless the Japanese holders of the copyright give permission for usage in this manner).

[maven said:
]Downloading fansubs is definitely not legal. It may not be illegal either, but it is definitely a grey area.
How can it be grey? It can either be illegal or legal, right?

epic

epicstruggle said:
[maven said:
]Downloading fansubs is definitely not legal. It may not be illegal either, but it is definitely a grey area.

Take for example abortion in Austria: It's not legal but it is not prosecuted by the state...

Same with fansubs:
It might not be legal but it's not prosecuted. So far no company chose to enforce its rights...

EDIT: small funny side note: fansubs are often used by the companies who obtained the license, last example TokyoPop bought the translation of MangaScreener's Stephen...

london-boy said:
epicstruggle said:

Not really.
Don't forget who you're posting to; one of the original Mr. Black/White, Right/Wrong, Good/Evil know-it-all-seen-it-all-and-my-opinion-is-the-gospel-truth-about-everything type of fellows. ;)

Back