So what anime shows are you watching?

Anyone able to provide a thought on any of the following series:
LastEXILE
Juuni Kokki
Scrapped Princess

thanks
epic

I found Scrapped Princess to be pretty enjoyable.

The premise is rather interesting, with a girl who is prophesied to be the poison that ends the world wandering the land, trying to live past her 16th birthday against the forces of a powerful Church and the armies belonging to her own birth family. It's immediately obvious that things aren't what they seem, especially considering that all the major players are named after weapons: Casul, Steyr, Browning, Mauser, etc.

If you can get past some rather heavy-handed symbolism and plot twists harping on the evils of religion, I think you would find a lot of it enjoyable.

It was awesome the first time the elder brother was asked if he would defy God to safeguard his sister. It was a bit less so the many times later he was forced to reiterate his position.

However, his having to repeat himself is usually immediately followed by him kicking ass, so I think it's worth it.

Regarding Gantz--if the first season disturbed you, don't even think about downloading the second season. Period. I, however, love it, especially because it has the greatest line ever: "Attacked... by a train."

FMA was awesome, but it's over. And it made me sad because I have to wait for the movie now. Noooooo!

Paranoia Agent was just really bizarre. I HATED Madlax.

oops, I should notice when things are posted.

'Last Exile' I am in the process of collecting right now. It is a typical Gonzo show done better than many of their other series. That is to say it is very much a style over substance series, however if you enjoy the style then you will be very happy. It harks back to anime like Captain Harlock a bit with its germanic steampunk design aesthetic.

Personally I really enjoy it and having reached volume five they are now revealing big chunks of the story and what is going on. It has a good and pretty accurate dub so you can pick n'choose which language you prefer without a worry.

As for anime I am currently watching? Just finished 'RahXephon', extremely well done mecha tale which has been most carefully designed and plotted. Combine it with good likeable characters, a strong backstory underpinning it all and excellent artwork & music to make a series that really is wonderful.

Also finished 'Haibane Renmei' and 'Now and Then, Here and There'. 'Haibane Renmei' is a slow moving character drama series about guilt, redemption and the importance of friends. People can get put off by the languid dreamlike pacing but if you get the series it pays off in dividends. Marks the only anime I have seen that watching it gets me quite emotional and the last episodes I normally weep when watching. Really good stuff.

'Now and Then, Here and There' is just brutal bleak stuff. Young optimistic boy from Japan is shifted into the far future where a mad king commands the last functional aerial dreadnought (now grounded). Very mature in tone, the character mercilessly has the optimisim beaten out of him, being first tortured then drafted into the army of the king. The author of the manga based a lot of what was happening on articles about child-warriors in Africa and in many ways this is an exploration of what society is like when it gets to that point. Seeing Jinto deal with a very large dose of reality makes for riveting viewing and it does manage to pull off a fairly hopeful ending.

I love Tri Gun and Rurouni Kenshin. I own the Tri Gun box set and a Rurouni Kenshin one with episodes 1-91, it's a 12 disc set. As well as the OVA Box set.

I also like Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho.

I'm looking for new Anime to watch. I really like Asian oriented ones with martial arts i.e. Rurouni Kenshin, with some philisophical ideas in them. I'd like a more mature version of Rurouni Kenshin with his master being the main character. They also need to make a new Tri Gun Season, it had to many un answered questions.

CowBoy BeeBop is ok too, ninja Scrolls is good, crying freeman is pretty decent as well, it's old though. The Street Fighter II V is a good set as well.

I just got done watching my Tri Gun series again and I was just wondering if anyone has read Tri Gun Maxximum. And if so, what is it about and what happens.

p.s. Why does Anime cost so much money?

mkillio said:
Why does Anime cost so much money?
Try buying Japanese DVDs, then we'll talk about it again... ;)

a) Because people are willing to pay that much
b) Because it is a priviledge (luxury), not a right
c) Because it is a niche product

I personally don't feel that (American) anime DVDs are too expensive...

[maven said:
]I personally don't feel that (American) anime DVDs are too expensive...
Compared to japanese DVDs very true, but its still pissing me off, that TV shows are packaged as 3episodes/disc instead of utilizing the available disc space ... 8 DVDs for a 24 episode show is just plain evil :devilish:

Just re-looking at

Initial-D 1st Stage
Initial-D 2nd Stage
Initial-D Extra Stage
Initial-D 3rd Stage
Initial-D Battle Stage
Initial-D 4th Stage

Then also thinking off going through The Wolf Brigade and DNA2(squared).

Might watch Blood:The Last Vampire too again.

US

I'm just starting episode 21 of Naruto now with about 33 to go on my HD.... :D (I'm liking the little "loudest, most show-offy" ninja ever!)

Full Metal Achemist is fantastic. How many episodes is it in total? Is it over yet or is it a continuous thing?

Also, i watched "Saing Seiya - Heaven Chapter - Overture" the other day and it's visually the most beautiful thing i've ever seen in my life. Seriously, give it a go, even if it's the last "thing" in the Saint Seya universe and u should know what happened in the previous hundreds of episodes to understand fully.

I think FMA is 56 episodes, and it's a completed series....but there is a movie coming out that is supposed to pick up where the series leaves off.

I just got done watching Full Metal Panic and hunted down Fumoffu immedietly after.... ;)

I know, ooold thread, but i just HAD to resurrect it, i'm at episode 20 of Neon Evangelion and MY GOD it is one the best series i've ever seen in my freaking life. It really is a must see for evryone. And i haven't even finished it, i don't even know what the story REALLY is about (whoever watched it should understand)...

A MUST to every anime-watching guy out there.

Evangelion was I think my third anime series, a definate must and an excellent mindfuck. You have to sort of force yourself thru the first few episodes because it kind of changes directions for the better then.

I watched/enjoyed/recomend "Witch Hunter Robin", a kind of X-files about witch hunting in modern day Japan that is pretty damned awesome. It's another one that kind of starts slow and you don't know what's going on, builds fast, and takes you on a wild ride to a stunning finish. 8)

Just got done watching Naruto #125 and loved it. I cheated and got all the manga so I know what happens, but I still prefer the anime over the manga.

Bleach #22 came out a few days ago and if you haven't started watching it yet YOU SHOULD!!!! Very possibly the best anime I've ever seen, my only complaint is I have to wait a frigging week 'tween episodes. :? (Well, I cheated and read all the manga to that one too.... :oops: )

I have Beserk; Chrno Crusade; Paranoia Agent; Labyrinth of Flames; GundamX; and Ah, My Goddess the Movie on deck waiting for me...which do you recomend I check out first? :|

well i havent seen any of those so....

but basically, EVA is a total headfuck, im at the point when *spoiler* goes berserk and eats the *spoiler*, when little poor *spoiler* gets assimilated, disappears inside the 01 then comes back.
I expect things to get even stranger....

digitalwanderer said:
I have Beserk; Chrno Crusade; Paranoia Agent; Labyrinth of Flames; GundamX; and Ah, My Goddess the Movie on deck waiting for me...which do you recomend I check out first? :|

Berserk, definitely the best of those mentioned; though the animation is a little bad. Check out the manga if you can.

london-boy said:
well i havent seen any of those so....

but basically, EVA is a total headfuck, im at the point when *spoiler* goes berserk and eats the *spoiler*, when little poor *spoiler* gets assimilated, disappears inside the 01 then comes back.
I expect things to get even stranger....
Have you figured out what the *spoiler*'s are yet? Or why the *spoiler* have the special *spoiler* they do with the *spoiler*? :devilish:

You're right, it gets pretty freaking heavy from there. Do yourself a favor though and get the movies BEFORE you finish the series. I can't recall exactly, but there are two movies I think. The first one is just a recap of the original series, but the second one is an alternate-ish/sequelly-ish/carry-on-ish to the original series and you will SOOOOO want it after watching the final episode.

Do a search at EB for it, a whole bunch of kind people there took me by the hand and lead me thru me anime experience and I'm forever grateful for it. They lead me to the good stuff, explained what order to watch, and warned me what to avoid....Evangelion was a big example of that.

I have a couple to reccomend that I've recently watched:

Vision of Escaflowne
SUPERB 26-EP series. It's also a mecha series, but somewhat more steam-punk-ish than Eva or RahXephon. The design and technology for these mechs is probably the best I've ever seen (it just looks so real and mechanical, and that it could really work). The story is ace, the characters thorough, dragons way cool, animation/decors superb and music breathtaking (yoko kanno). It'S fairly deep too, a lot of stuff to think about whilst watching it and after finishing it as well. The first 10 minutes of the series is misleading though, as it starts off as a modern highschool drama thing, but things get rapidly interesting! In my opinion, it's the best anime of the 90s.

Full Metal Alchemist
Like 50 episodes in this one. Alchemy, or "magic" presented in a scientific way. Quite entertaining and funny at times, but also holds it's water for being a "deep" series with a lot of touchy subjects (alchemy, death, life, reincarnation, war). The characters are absolutelly wonderful!

well so far i think that the *spoilers* are the same as the *spoilers* that keep attacking the good guys...? but i'm not sure about how it all fits together, and the *second spoiler* thing that happened.

I have all 26 episodes, Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion.
But i tried those movies and i couldnt get the subtitles to work for some reason.... BAD thing.

Back