So I finally bought an LCD monitor...

Crusher

Aptitudinal Constituent
Regular
My old 17" CRT was finally starting to show signs of aging, so I figured I'd bite the bullet and see if LCDs really had progressed as much as people claimed (as far as gaming is concerned). I decided to go with the ViewSonic VX922, and overall I'm pretty impressed. Gaming performance is excellent. I'm not sure if it's anywhere near the advertised 2ms response time, but it's fast enough that I don't notice any ghosting in WoW (haven't tried any other games, recently had to reinstall windows and haven't installed any yet).

I have a question for other LCD owners though. I connected it to my 6600GT with the DVI cable and the color setting defaulted to sRGB, and does not allow me to adjust the brightness or contrast on the monitor. That isn't much of a problem, because I can still make adjustments in the nvidia control panel, but the odd thing is that at the default brightness (100%), contrast (100%), and gamma (1.0), the display is overbright and washed out. I ran the color setting applet and after playing with the gamma levels I got it to look fairly normal, but when I went back into the color control panel I was surprised to see that the gama adjustments I made resulted in a gamma setting of 0.77. That doesn't seem right, and when I went into WoW and told it to use desktop gamma, it seemed a little too dark.

I guess my question is, do LCDs normally require such a drastically lower gamma setting? Or should it really be closer to 1.0, and what I think is overbright is just too many years of being conditioned on a dull CRT?

You might want to adjust the contrast value too. On my LCDs, the gamma is about 1.0. Is the screen so bright that the text is unreadable? Or is the screen just bright? (does that make sense?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alstrong said:
You might want to adjust the contrast value too. On my LCDs, the gamma is about 1.0. Is the screen so bright that the text is unreadable? Or is the screen just bright? (does that make sense?)

When the gamma is set to 1.0 the text isn't unreadable, but white backgrounds hurt my eyes and all colors are very washed out. Lowering the contrast or brightness seems to turn the darker colors black long before it brings the washed out colors back to normal.

Have you installed a driver for the panel?

(I don't use an LCD, but a friend is very happy with his Dell 2405, whose default config, with the driver installed, is very good.)

Jawed

Jawed said:
Have you installed a driver for the panel?

(I don't use an LCD, but a friend is very happy with his Dell 2405, whose default config, with the driver installed, is very good.)

Jawed

Hrmm... nope, good call. I'll give that a shot tonight. I haven't installed a driver for a display in years, seemed like all it ever did was restrict the resolution/refresh rate settings for people who didn't know what their monitors allowed.

LCDs disable the front of monitor controls when they detect a digital signal, usually.

The idea being that the source knows what it's doing :)

zsouthboy said:
LCDs disable the front of monitor controls when they detect a digital signal, usually.
Except usually they still let you control brightness (probably because this typically actually controls the backlight) "manually".

Kinda reminded me a bit of an LCD screen I bought for my mother some time ago, which turned out to have quite serious color adjustment issues (which I had to fix using the GPU; the monitor's own controls didn't go nearly far enough). Before adjustment, it was rather massively overbright and washed-out, and a plain black-to-white gradient that I made with gimp had a very distinct dirty-reddish hue to it, as well has having large regions at the ends that were solid back and solid white. IIRC, I had to adjust the brightness up a fair bit, turn the contrast WAY down (by vastly different amounts for each of red, green and blue too, about 80% for blue and about 45% :!: for red/green) and set the gamma to something like 1.6 or so. It actually ended up looking quite good in the end, but I was rather surprised at how much I had to tweak it before it started to look anywhere close to 'right'.

mczak said:
Except usually they still let you control brightness (probably because this typically actually controls the backlight) "manually".

If I choose a color temperature other than sRGB (e.g. 9300K, 6500K) I can adjust the brightness and contrast in the OSD, but not with it set to sRGB (whatever that is, it was the default setting and I assum the "right" one when using DVI).

The drivers didn't seem to change anything. Oh well, guess I'll just have to learn to live with the fact that 0.8 gamma seems to be about right for this display.

Congratulations Crusher.

Crusher said:
I guess my question is, do LCDs normally require such a drastically lower gamma setting? Or should it really be closer to 1.0, and what I think is overbright is just too many years of being conditioned on a dull CRT?
My sony LCD doesnt require lower videocard gamma setting (my case nvidia card/nvidia driver).
I adjust the brightness with a button with some of the predefined mode available (PC, AUTO, GAME, MOVIE). I usually use PC mode that has lower brightness and 9300k. When needed I select a different mode (like game mode in dark games).

Did you installed any LCD´s driver? Start trying uninstalling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
pascal said:
Congratulations Crusher.

My sony LCD doesnt require lower videocard gamma setting (my case nvidia card/nvidia driver).
I adjust the brightness with a button with some of the predefined mode available (PC, AUTO, GAME, MOVIE). I usually use PC mode that has lower brightness and 9300k. When needed I select a different mode (like game mode in dark games).

Did you installed any LCD´s driver? Start trying uninstalling it.
You should have it set to 6500K- that makes whites look more like natural whites ;)

radeonic2 said:
You should have it set to 6500K- that makes whites look more like natural whites ;)
I did it in the begining, but eventually changed back to 9300k because it is more comfortable to my eyes (the cool blue tone).

Back