Small plane hit high rise in NYC

Just saw this on the BBC. In their footage there was a firefighter (I'm guessing) walking around in the hole wall. So hopefully no major injuries/casualties.

And yes, they were stressing it seemed to be an accident too.

Two dead so far. :(

At least two people were killed when a small aircraft crashed into a 52-story building on Manhattan's Upper East Side in overcast weather on Wednesday in what appeared to be an accident, officials said.

U.S. and New York officials said they had no reason to believe the crash was related to terrorism.

A New York police department spokeswoman said the crash killed two people and possibly more.

Military fighter jets were patrolling several U.S. cities as a precaution, the North American Aerospace Defense Command said.

Apparently the plane belonged to a Cory Lidle? A baseball/b-ball star? Sorry I didn't catch it properly as my gf came piling through the door. Again, saw it on the BBC.

:(

From a Sept 8, 2006 article:

When the Yankees fly, the pilots are not only in the cockpit. There is another pilot in the main cabin, where the players sit. He is probably studying his hand-held Global Positioning System receiver, tracking the weather and noting the plane’s precise speed and altitude.

He is Cory Lidle, who has been a major league pitcher for nine years and a pilot for seven months. He earned his pilot’s license last off-season and bought a four-seat airplane for $187,000. It is a Cirrus SR20, built in 2002, with fewer than 400 hours in the air.

A player-pilot is still a sensitive topic for the Yankees, whose captain, Thurman Munson, was killed in the crash of a plane he was flying in 1979. Lidle, acquired from the Philadelphia Phillies on July 30, said his plane was safe.

“The whole plane has a parachute on it,â€￾ Lidle said. “Ninety-nine percent of pilots that go up never have engine failure, and the 1 percent that do usually land it. But if you’re up in the air and something goes wrong, you pull that parachute, and the whole plane goes down slowly.â€￾
:(

I am glad that it wasnt some kind of terroris attack. I plan to make a trip to the us next month, so actually having confirmation about a terrorist attack not being in place makes me feel a little bit more relieved and calm.

I am glad that it wasnt some kind of terroris attack. I plan to make a trip to the us next month, so actually having confirmation about a terrorist attack not being in place makes me feel a little bit more relieved and calm.

dont worry about a thing. You have a far better chance of getting killed by just crossing the street then you do in a terrorist attack.

wait was that comforting?

Back