Silent, low-power PC?

_xxx_

Banned
I'm looking for a low-power, silent machine for media/dl/home server purposes. I'm tired of having my big heater on 24/7 and would like a little box to replace it, so I'd use the big one for gaming only.

What HW should I look for? I need no muscle, just a run-of-the-mill PC, preferably SFF.

EDIT:
Or would a Mac mini be worth a try?

Mac mini might not be a bad idea. Is very small and very quiet. Downside is the hdd is max 80 GB. You may want to look into the Shuttle barebones. I have one at home and it is pretty quiet, too. But not as quiet as the Mac mini.

Alpha, I'm looking for a cheap, small, low-power machine and not a gaming machine. 350W PSU is totally out of question, as well as that huge Zalman thing. I just want something I can hide behind my PC and switch the monitor between them.

Noob: which one do you have?

_xxx_ said:
I'm looking for a low-power, silent machine for media/dl/home server purposes. I'm tired of having my big heater on 24/7 and would like a little box to replace it, so I'd use the big one for gaming only.

What HW should I look for? I need no muscle, just a run-of-the-mill PC, preferably SFF.

EDIT:
Or would a Mac mini be worth a try?

The Mac Mini and even a SFF should probably be ruled out if you intend to use it for "real" storage. I am not talking about speed here, something the Mac Mini certainly lacks, but simply capacity. I would recommend you find a decent enclosure that will make it simple to add drives. This is important because it is very costly to replace drives with larger ones instead of simply being able to add more for expansion purposes. The more the better, especially considering many mainboards today offer physical connection well beyond four drives.

I was tempted to recommend a NAS (network attached storage) device, but these are also often limited in how far they can be upgraded capacity wise. They are ideal except for this factor.

If a big box puts you off, consider the fact that you could hide it and it doesn't need a monitor if you are running Linux or BSD. All you would need to do is use a monitor to set it up, make sure it has network access where it would be permanently placed and then let it run headless from there. You would then use SSH to access and administer the server through the network. You can also use tools like WebMin, an Internet browser based interface. Samba for Linux ensures compatibility with your Windows network and will also let you explore other network protocols which may offer specific benefits. However, it may be problematic to have your Windows clients cooperate (because that's how Windows is).

Buying a full sized or mid sized tower will take away a lot of pain as components will be ATX and easy to come by.

I would recommend looking into a AMD Socket 939 solution. This offers Cool n' Quiet which dramatically reduces power draw when CPU utilization is low. You would not need an expensive CPU at all, but it would be a good idea to buy into the 939 platform for future options. 512MB should be fine and because a Linux server would be running without a GUI it would not consume many resources.

If this sounds interesting we can go into more details.

[maven] said:
http://www.maven.de/?p=631 is what I use... It's as quiet as the 2.5" HDD you put in. That said, I am sleeping in the same room as my server, and I have a very light sleep...

This might be it! Looks very nice and is also cheap-o. And VIA CPU's are not power hungry at all, AFAIK. Thanks! :D

Wireframe: I don't need lots of storage, basically I just want to run eMule/bittorrent on it and hook it up to a TV or my hi-fi rig once in a while. As I said, no muscle needed and the dl'd stuff etc. will be shoveled over to my main machine when the disk is full.

So it'll either be this thingy from Maven or a Mac Mini, I guess. Thanks for the suggestions guys!!! :smile:

Maven, what components do I need? As I see it, only the HDD is not in there. That would be perfect, since I have one spare 160 GB lying around...

_xxx_ said:
Maven, what components do I need? As I see it, only the HDD is not in there. That would be perfect, since I have one spare 160 GB lying around...
2.5" (!) HDD + Memory (SDRAM).

_xxx_ said:
SDRAM, non-DDR? Speed? I got two 256MB 333DDR here, would be nice if I could use these.
I've just seen there some to be two different versions with different chipsets available; one of which might be able to use DDR-Ram. Your best bet if probably to give http://www.mini-itx.de a call; that's were I got mine and they can definitely give you the info you need.

[maven] said:
I've just seen there some to be two different versions with different chipsets available; one of which might be able to use DDR-Ram. Your best bet if probably to give http://www.mini-itx.de a call; that's were I got mine and they can definitely give you the info you need.

Ok, thx!!!

_xxx_:

you also might want to consider this case (it comes in various colors and with/without windows):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144110

which accepts microatx motherboards. It means you will have upgradability options that aren't present with the shuttle systems. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper.

The best thing about it is that you can stick a standard atx power supply in it (to replace the terrible aspire one), and so long as you use short dvd drives (such as the lite-ons or sonys), everything still fits. You basically get a system that is only about an inch bigger in each direction than a shuttle, with a full size ATX power supply, 2 5.25" drive bays, 1 3.5" bay, 2 3.5" internal bays, and 4 expansion slots (for PCIE, AGP, PCI, etc). In my opinion it is really the best of both worlds.

Personally I'll be getting one of these cases, though I'm waiting for the new 6150 motherboards to come out, as the matx motherboard selection is really poor right now. The only really good ones are the Jetway boards based on the RS480 chipset by ATI. Soon a number of good MB manufacturers should be releasing matx boards based on nvidia's new chipset though, and some of them are even supposedly being marketed as overclocker boards with features to match.

Nite_Hawk

I'll go with one of those VIA thingies, since I want it to be VERY silent and VERY low power. You can't beat those 60W these babies need, except with Mac Mini maybe.

Thx nonetheless :)

Saw it too late, but I would have advised VIA Epia boards too... and you might want to go with the faster fanless model (dunno what is the fastest fanless 800mhz or 1 ghz) for a few € more as you This 533 eden is maybe like 300mhz celeron, if you use some more processor intesive P2P or something, you might want to up that...:D

additionally I think you could use USB HDD if you really wanted more space for DL stuff (comparing to 2.5 HDD) But a 40 gig 2.5" isn't expensive and it is all very small.

Anyhow let us know how it goes ;)

I'm considering a sockel A Shuttle with 200W PSU as well, since I don't need to buy anything in that case. I found one for 179€ new. I'll look for some serious info on noise levels and than decide.

well if you already have the processor and everything else just make sure you have enough space in that shuttle and buy some super quiet fan... I sure hope those cases are fairly quiet, but VIA will be silent.

look at this

http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductID=376

IMO I'd go for it, 800 mhz proc will be quite a bit better than 533 and if you are ready to spend that much, you only need the case on top of this price. You even get a chance to try new S3 graphics out :)

this board uses DDR

_xxx_ said:
I'll go with one of those VIA thingies, since I want it to be VERY silent and VERY low power. You can't beat those 60W these babies need, except with Mac Mini maybe.

Thx nonetheless :)

As measured by a power meter the Mac Mini draws less than 20 Watts, that is including PSU losses (!), unless you use the burner.

Since you consider the VIA models, I'd recommend the cheaper 1.25 GHz Mini. The preinstalled 512MB RAM is sufficient for light use, but OSX thrives on memory...
I'd go with the bigger harddrive for general comfortable living. :)

At these power levels, PC space offers the VIA solutions, (and if you can stretch that far, the PentiumM stationary motherboards. These are much bigger though.)

Good luck!

Nite_Hawk said:
_xxx_:

you also might want to consider this case (it comes in various colors and with/without windows):

Groovy and Antec Aria clone. I love my aria, so having a cheaper option with a supposedly more powerful PS is a good thing.

Back